• Train Schedule for B&P at Ashford Junction?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RWORR

Hello,

I am planning to be in the Ashford Junction area in the next week and would like to get a shot of a train passing through the junction. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RWORR
  by Benjamin Maggi

Good luck! I have been through the area dozens of times over the years (usually on Saturday or Sunday) and have never seen a train there, just long strings of coal cars. I haven't been there in about 10 years, but from what I remember the trains frequently run in the evening.
  by RWORR

I plan to be there during the week, but you think most of the traffic is overnight?

Thanks,

RWORR
  by FarmallBob

RWORR wrote:There will still be traffic to Rochester - correct?
No traffic between Ashford and Rochester these days! The former BR&P was abandoned and the rails lifted between Machias and Silver Lake about 15(?) years ago.

...FB
  by BR&P

And to be technical, you're about 79 years too late to catch any BR&P action at Ashford.

I don't know what the frequency is these days but I doubt it's more than two a day in each direction, maybe only one.
  by Matt Langworthy

FarmallBob wrote:
RWORR wrote:There will still be traffic to Rochester - correct?
No traffic between Ashford and Rochester these days! The former BR&P was abandoned and the rails lifted between Machias and Silver Lake about 15(?) years ago.
Those rails were lifted in 1991 or '92.
  by EMTRailfan

RWORR wrote:Hello,

I am planning to be in the Ashford Junction area in the next week and would like to get a shot of a train passing through the junction. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

RWORR

The B&P's SIJB Salamanca to Johnsonburg turn is normally a 0900ish call time. This would put it back at Salamanca to go north to Buffalo at 2100 at the latest unless it outlaws. Last time I chased it, they left Johnsonburg to return north at about 1600. Realize that the return time will vary on their workload in Jburg, and at Foster Brook both directions, and arrival of the northbound from Rikers at Jburg. If you have a whole day, chasing to Johnsonburg is a nice chase, and then chase it back and you would be sure of it's location. I am not familiar with the SIBF at all with exception that it is an evening/overnighter. Whether the northbound crew is always a 2100ish call time, or if their call time depends on the return of the Johnsonburg train, I can't answer.
  by thebigham

In March, the B&P Buffalo freight was coming through Arcade anywhere between 8:30-11pm.
  by JT76

The buffalo line just doesn't do it for me like the OP/Springville line once did. I wish i had the foresight to take pictures of trains operating back then :(
  by thebigham

I've been in Arcade the past few weeks.

The northbound train has been going through Arcade around 7am.

The southbound train has been going through Arcade anytime between 1-5pm.

Arcade is probably 45 minutes from Ashford Junction.
Last edited by thebigham on Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by oibu

Interesting... so the previous "occaisional" abnormal occurrence of running north from Salamanca in the am due to a late/outlawed run from Johnsonburg, now seems to be the "norm"?
  by thebigham

^Yes. I think the daytime schedule began around May.

This morning the northbound SIBF went through Arcade around 9:30am with 4 units and 90 cars.