• Idiot Railfan calls the NJT Police

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by OportRailfan

Jtgshu wrote:
Rail Boy wrote:Dispatcher "I got a report of (kids, people, juveniles, drunks, etc) on/near the tracks at (location). I need you to go through there looking out. Let me know what you see.

OUR POV: Don't tell him how to run his train. He doesn't tell us how to route him (unless it's a KP Crew). He's the eyes and ears out there. He can run how he feels safe. If he feels restricted speed is the best, he should do that. We're in an office with no windows and sometimes over 100 miles away. Conditions change.

Note - In the definition of restricted speed, you are prepared to stop within one half the range of vision short of {a list of things, one of them being} obstructions. Would a trespasser count as an obstruction?

And yes, I realize you want something more concrete. Unfortunately my people and your people need to do lunch over this, maybe with Operating Practices at the head of the table.
To a lawyer looking to sue the engineer on behalf of the family for a wrongful death lawsuit, you can bet your bottom dollar that a trespasser would count as an obstruction!!! Only once the engineer was notified tho.......

Hitting someone at 100mph? Sucks to be them.
Hitting someone at 100mph after the dispatcher told you exactly where they might be? Sucks to be the engineer......

"You tell me to do things, i done running" :)
HA! HA! Multiple Entendres!
  by Grump

Unless its gonna derail the train or cause harm to other innocent bystanders, you see nothing, you say nothing....
  by 7express

Thats what I hate about our legal system. Even though the signs say no tresspassing, NJT employees only, people go past them anyways. If they get hit on a curve in a 5+ mile stretch between stations at 70 mph the deceased family is going to sue for the sun, moon, earth and the stars and will probably wins hundreds of millions of dollars even though nothing would happen if the idiots obeyed the tresspassing sign. Those signs aren't there for decorations. Its the same way with houses: someone breaks into your house, and gets bitten by your dog, why do they win most of the time?? They wouldn't have gotten bitten if they didn't break in.
  by Idiot Railfan

7express wrote:Thats what I hate about our legal system. Even though the signs say no tresspassing, NJT employees only, people go past them anyways. If they get hit on a curve in a 5+ mile stretch between stations at 70 mph the deceased family is going to sue for the sun, moon, earth and the stars and will probably wins hundreds of millions of dollars even though nothing would happen if the idiots obeyed the tresspassing sign. Those signs aren't there for decorations. Its the same way with houses: someone breaks into your house, and gets bitten by your dog, why do they win most of the time?? They wouldn't have gotten bitten if they didn't break in.
Could you cite just one example?
  by HBLR

7express wrote:Thats what I hate about our legal system. Even though the signs say no tresspassing, NJT employees only, people go past them anyways. If they get hit on a curve in a 5+ mile stretch between stations at 70 mph the deceased family is going to sue for the sun, moon, earth and the stars and will probably wins hundreds of millions of dollars even though nothing would happen if the idiots obeyed the tresspassing sign. Those signs aren't there for decorations. Its the same way with houses: someone breaks into your house, and gets bitten by your dog, why do they win most of the time?? They wouldn't have gotten bitten if they didn't break in.
Reminds me of the idiots who park illegally & then something happens to their car, hit, fire dept breaks windows to get a feeder line through etc, then try to sue.

Lot of morons out there, gotta watch out they aren't near you so you don't get sucked into their messes.
  by Uzi-Cat

HBLR wrote: Lot of morons out there, gotta watch out they aren't near you so you don't get sucked into their messes.
Hey, I found one! Everyone beware.
  by Patrick Boylan

Idiot Railfan wrote:
7express wrote:Its the same way with houses: someone breaks into your house, and gets bitten by your dog, why do they win most of the time?? They wouldn't have gotten bitten if they didn't break in.
Could you cite just one example?
I'd also appreciate seeing a citation of break into a house, get bitten by dog and win a legal action. Although I have heard of cases where someone or their estate gets a favorable decision when they break in and gets seriously injured or killed on a booby trap I believe the argument there is that one cannot employ deadly force to protect property. Just having a dog on your property, especially inside the house as opposed to in the yard, is not necessarily using deadly force.
  by trackwelder

Patrick Boylan wrote: I believe the argument there is that one cannot employ deadly force to protect property.

and that's why i live in pennsylvania. "it's YOUR castle!"
  by cruiser939

wpdj61 wrote:
HBLR wrote: Lot of morons out there, gotta watch out they aren't near you so you don't get sucked into their messes.
Good find wpdj.
  by Uzi-Cat

cruiser939 wrote:
wpdj61 wrote:
Good find wpdj.
Thanks. Just doing my part.