• Idiot Railfan calls the NJT Police

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sullivan1985

HBLR wrote:I only walk on on tracks when they use track 2/3 at new brunswick for a station stop. I for one hope the only "coming together" i and a train ever experience is with me boarding.
I only break into the Pentagon on Federal Holidays.

You don't belong on the tracks. Period.

Double facepalm.
  by ATCFault

by Uzi-Cat

HBLR wrote:I only walk on on tracks when they use track 2/3 at new brunswick for a station stop. I for one hope the only "coming together" i and a train ever experience is with me boarding.
I always walk on the tracks. But then again, I am invisible so I never get reported.
  by BuddSilverliner269

sullivan1985 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:but quite honestly, each time I hear the dispatcher issuing a report (I know you don't have a choice) about a person or especially police in the area, the incident in Dover a few years back with the Cop comes to mind..........and that was horrible.
Well, thats another story, but there was no report of the police being in the area for that one.

It's almost to the point where it not worth reporting anybody you see on the tracks. As Wolfboy said, he was telling crews to watch out for police on a completely different railroad.

If a crew reports somebody walking along the RoW, the first thing the DSPR does is call every train in creation to tell them there is somebody walking along the tracks between MP 5 and MP 6. Now lets say said person has long left the property. An hour later at MP 9 someone comes up onto the tracks and is struck by a train that has already cleared the "look out" area... guess what? You're boned. It's not fair to the operating employees and with this legal environment we live in today, even the worst public defender could get the tears flowing from a Jury.

As horrible as it sounds, it almost not worth it to report anybody you see on the tracks because you only setting up the other crews around you. Unless its something that needs immediate attention like a fire, police activity, a serious crime or a safety hazard to passing trains most trespassing on railroads goes unreported. Unless you have a camera. Then they have "weather" satellites watching your every step.
This is exactly the reason why I dont report a SINGLE person on the railroad. There are guys on every railroad that I have come in contact with , that calls every person or animal on or close to the ROW , and now everyone is being warned and I have seen this done at Septa, a crew was notified to watch out, and boom they hite someone, and the crew was in deep doo doo.
  by ATCFault

BuddSilverliner269 wrote: This is exactly the reason why I dont report a SINGLE person on the railroad. There are guys on every railroad that I have come in contact with , that calls every person or animal on or close to the ROW , and now everyone is being warned and I have seen this done at Septa, a crew was notified to watch out, and boom they hite someone, and the crew was in deep doo doo.
Same goes for NJT apparently. "Go through looking out" is just the dispatcher's way of saying "Don't hit them".
  by BuddSilverliner269

ATC, Ive heard it when I was at Septa and now at Amtrak. It irratates me to no end when the dispatchers tell the train to be on the look out and operate "accordingly". WTF does that mean , since theres nothing in our books to operate "accordingly" as JT already pointed out. It pisses me off more, when all railroaders know that the blame gets put onto us after an announcement like that has been made, and they still make stupid long winded reports as to who or what is on the ROW.... I play blind and stupid when I see people..
  by ATCFault

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:ATC, Ive heard it when I was at Septa and now at Amtrak. It irratates me to no end when the dispatchers tell the train to be on the look out and operate "accordingly". WTF does that mean , since theres nothing in our books to operate "accordingly" as JT already pointed out. It pisses me off more, when all railroaders know that the blame gets put onto us after an announcement like that has been made, and they still make stupid long winded reports as to who or what is on the ROW.... I play blind and stupid when I see people..
Yeah there is nothing about it in the rulebooks, so why say it? At the same time, you are expected to call them in (essentially), while at the same time, you could wind up getting yourself or another crew in trouble. Trespasser? What trespasser?
  by Sirsonic

Dispatcher "I got a report of (kids, people, juveniles, drunks, etc) on/near the tracks at (location). I need you to go through there looking out. Let me know what you see.

Wise Engineer "ok, Ill operate at restricted speed by/past/through/to-from (location)"

To my fellow engineers, keep in mind that you are the ONLY person authorized to make the train go. If your not satisfied with everything, don't go. If you feel that you need to operate at restricted speed to properly look out for people unable or unwilling to care for themselves, do so without a second thought. YOU will be the one sitting at home, without a paycheck, with an uncertain future, should something happen and anyone wants to make an issue of it. The dispatcher, trainmaster, road foreman, STO, ACD, superintendent, etc will not pay your bills for you if you do them a "favor" by keeping the train moving when given unclear instructions. When in doubt, take the safe course. By that I don't mean the company approved safe course, or the convenient safe course that keeps the train on time, but the safe course that keeps you and your crew safe and employed.

VV- I sympathise with your position that you are often given incomplete or inaccurate information and have to make due with what your given. Please understand, however, that in the event I ask for clarification of say, what is looking out speed, you need only turn around and pass the decision on to those people who sit behind you and collect the bigger paychecks. Let them exercise their authority and direct me on how to operate if anything is in question. Please feel free to preface any instructions you give me with the caveat "as per the STO/my superiors/the decision makers/etc" to ensure that the responsible parties are held responsible.
  by Sirsonic

I also just want to toss out there, for the benefit of any attorneys who may someday comb this forum too look for statements to use against employees who post in this forum, following their involvement in a trespasser fatality, that all the statements of those employees do not necessarily reflect upon their actions at work. All the employees who post on this forum are conscientious hard workers who strive every day to comply 100% with the word and spirit of every rule, special instruction, regulation, and directive they are given. No part of any of their statements should be construed to mean that they would have anything but the utmost care and caution when performing the duties, and they would promptly respond in the proper manner to any right of way incursion by anyone or thing.
  by kilroy

Well said Sirsonic.
  by Rail Boy

Dispatcher "I got a report of (kids, people, juveniles, drunks, etc) on/near the tracks at (location). I need you to go through there looking out. Let me know what you see.

OUR POV: Don't tell him how to run his train. He doesn't tell us how to route him (unless it's a KP Crew). He's the eyes and ears out there. He can run how he feels safe. If he feels restricted speed is the best, he should do that. We're in an office with no windows and sometimes over 100 miles away. Conditions change.

Note - In the definition of restricted speed, you are prepared to stop within one half the range of vision short of {a list of things, one of them being} obstructions. Would a trespasser count as an obstruction?

And yes, I realize you want something more concrete. Unfortunately my people and your people need to do lunch over this, maybe with Operating Practices at the head of the table.
  by X4401

I heard a police pursuit which had multiple towns chasing two perps through Port Morris yard which happens to be in Roxbury Township (Morris County) and very close to Netcong (Sussex County). Roxbury PD called NJT PD in case NJT had Police in the area AND to alert rail traffic.

Minutes later on the NJTPD frequency I hear dispatch calling a supervisor type "Port Morris Township Police Dept has a foot pursuit that may be going through Port Morris Yard in Sussex county."

Supervisor tells dispatch to send an officer. The officer copies and advises he is responding from Summit train station (Union County) by car. He also asks for directions, over the air.
  by Matt Johnson

sullivan1985 wrote:
I only break into the Pentagon on Federal Holidays.

You don't belong on the tracks. Period.

Double facepalm.
So, when they're doing low level boarding at New Brunswick he should refuse to enter/exit the train?
  by Jtgshu

Rail Boy wrote:Dispatcher "I got a report of (kids, people, juveniles, drunks, etc) on/near the tracks at (location). I need you to go through there looking out. Let me know what you see.

OUR POV: Don't tell him how to run his train. He doesn't tell us how to route him (unless it's a KP Crew). He's the eyes and ears out there. He can run how he feels safe. If he feels restricted speed is the best, he should do that. We're in an office with no windows and sometimes over 100 miles away. Conditions change.

Note - In the definition of restricted speed, you are prepared to stop within one half the range of vision short of {a list of things, one of them being} obstructions. Would a trespasser count as an obstruction?

And yes, I realize you want something more concrete. Unfortunately my people and your people need to do lunch over this, maybe with Operating Practices at the head of the table.
To a lawyer looking to sue the engineer on behalf of the family for a wrongful death lawsuit, you can bet your bottom dollar that a trespasser would count as an obstruction!!! Only once the engineer was notified tho.......

Hitting someone at 100mph? Sucks to be them.
Hitting someone at 100mph after the dispatcher told you exactly where they might be? Sucks to be the engineer......

"You tell me to do things, i done running" :)
  by ATCFault

Jtgshu wrote: Hitting someone at 100mph? Sucks to be them.
Hitting someone at 100mph after the dispatcher told you exactly where they might be? Sucks to be the engineer......

"You tell me to do things, i done running" :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4OPr_QxoFg#t=00m28s
Last edited by ATCFault on Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.