• ALP-45DP's - Usage and Delivery

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Fan Railer

DutchRailnut wrote:no cause an option is not an order till its exersized, and with no ARC Tunnel they may not need them.
I was under the impression that the options were already exersized....
  by DutchRailnut

your Impression was in error
  by Fan Railer

DutchRailnut wrote:your Impression was in error
error noted. thanks.
  by DutchRailnut

The video has been posted several times already in this topic..
It is from Deutche Bahn website and Copywrighted...
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Sirsonic

Actually your impression that his impression was in error is wrong. The NJT Board of Directors approved the option purchase of an additional 10 "dual-powered passenger locomotives" for about $79 million on July, 14 2010. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/2010_07_14_OpenSess.pdf See item 1007-36.
  by cruiser939

Irishiron wrote:I love that during the freeforall posting, nobody noticed 4501 leaving. Gone on Q43420 this morning up the River Sub atop 8-axle flat QTTX131299. :P

I got my popcorn, so you guys can resume now...lol.
Well no one of any importance noticed at least. There are those of us who have an actual vested interest in the ALP-45...
  by nomis

Sirsonic wrote:
Actually your impression that his impression was in error is wrong. The NJT Board of Directors approved the option purchase of an additional 10 "dual-powered passenger locomotives" for about $79 million on July, 14 2010. http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/2010_07_14_OpenSess.pdf See item 1007-36.
This is like deja vu ... NJT Board Approval does not equal a contract purchase of these 10 locomotives.
  by cruiser939

Sirsonic wrote:
Actually, as much as it pains me to defend dutch and correct a fellow employee, it is your impression of dutch's impression of fan railer's impression that is wrong. Or rather to put things more bluntly, dutch is right and you are mistaken. :(

If you go back and reread the board minutes that you linked to, you'll notice that the language only says "Authorization to exercise an option under the existing contract". Just because the board authorized the option to be exercised does not mean that NJT actually exercised the option; which they didn't.
  by themallard

Video: NJ Transit locomotives on German roads
Bombardier manufactures New Jersey Transit's new ALP-45 locomotives in Kassel, Germany and they're then transported by truck to Hamburg, where they're loaded onto ships bound for New York... A division of Deutsche Bahn has the contract for getting the engines from the factory to Hamburg. They've created this short video to document the process.
  by cruiser939

themallard wrote:Video: NJ Transit locomotives on German roads
Bombardier manufactures New Jersey Transit's new ALP-45 locomotives in Kassel, Germany and they're then transported by truck to Hamburg, where they're loaded onto ships bound for New York... A division of Deutsche Bahn has the contract for getting the engines from the factory to Hamburg. They've created this short video to document the process.
Are you f-ing kidding me!? What is it with these people?
  by Sirsonic

Wow, the official NJT double speak is going to make my head spin (nothing personal Cruiser). They authorized the purchase, ok'd the money and signing of contracts, and then decided not to order them. Good thing they did manage to issue a press release stating "The Board also approved today the purchase of.....10 dual-mode locomotives". Regardless, not exercising the option for more was a wise decision, at least for right now.
  by HBLR

Amtrak is planning a new tunnel and expanded new york penn station based on ARC but a bit different. Knowing this i would not at all dismiss the absolute possibility of NJT ordering all remaining options plus additional if they are successful in day to day operation before all of them are delivered. I feel it would be wise to order a few more, seeing as though by the time the amtrak expansion project is complete you'll possibly have service extended to phillipsburg, on the LCO, west trenton or other such projects. I would also not forego the possibility of these locomotives seeing service on the line to port jervis etc to and from new york penn station.
  by Kaback9

HBLR wrote:Amtrak is planning a new tunnel and expanded new york penn station based on ARC but a bit different. Knowing this i would not at all dismiss the absolute possibility of NJT ordering all remaining options plus additional if they are successful in day to day operation before all of them are delivered. I feel it would be wise to order a few more, seeing as though by the time the amtrak expansion project is complete you'll possibly have service extended to phillipsburg, on the LCO, west trenton or other such projects. I would also not forego the possibility of these locomotives seeing service on the line to port jervis etc to and from new york penn station.
Yes Amtrak is planning a tunnel, if it actually happens is another story. I don't see them going to Port Jervis to NYP service especially since I don't see how that can be done right now with out a really convoluted routing.