• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

Jers2709 wrote:It was SOU 1
Ah looking at the photo, I would agree, it was SOU 1 and not Hickory Creek. My bad.
  by jhdeasy

strench707 wrote:Does anyone know if they let PVC passengers walk through the baggage car to the rest of the train? I can't really get a firm grasp of how off limits the baggage car officially is. Many times I have been told its okay to go in if you need to (like to get something out of a checked bag) but other times I have heard otherwise.

I'm not a real fan of this whole baggage on back thing, hopefully it will change back....

Davis
As a PV owner, I recall making a few trips on the rear of 79/80 circa 2002-2005 when the baggage car was placed between us and the rest of the consist. I may have walked thru the baggage car for some reason, but I had both a radio and a cell phone if I needed to contact the Conductor, of if he needed to contact me. I made it clear to any of my guests/passengers that the baggage car was off-limits, but that was my order, not the Conductor's order.
  by JimBoylan

I remember riding Blue Ridge into Rensselaer, N.Y. on the rear of the Boston section of the Lake Shore Ltd., behind the Baggage Dorm. We had to walk through it to get to the platform at Rensselaer, since the train stuck out to far, probably to leave room for the New York section. This was 2 days before Amtrak left Grand Central.
  by HBLR

Co-worker spotted 721 hooked to some cars marked "herzog" right near Trenton & seemed to be trailing the tie replacement equipment.
  by Cadet57

HBLR wrote:Co-worker spotted 721 hooked to some cars marked "herzog" right near Trenton & seemed to be trailing the tie replacement equipment.
Yeah I saw those cars outside Newark (if I remember correct) on Monday.
  by NorthEastRegional

A Question: Any information about the 40th Anniversay Heritage Genesis Units and which route they'll be running on the next 7 days?
  by Train2009

Two cool stuff I saw this afternoon on Metro North's New Haven line, Amtrak's Northeast Regional Train #164 had a Amfleet II Car in the back and between Greenwich, CT and Port Chester, NY AEM-7 #909 was towing a P42DC #101 before 3:30 PM eastbound from New York's Sunnyside yard.

I did not took the video of the AEM-7 and P42DC move but I did took the Video of Train #164 with the Amfleet II Car in Greenwich
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLueixkJOqc
  by Greg Moore

Not sure what train I saw, but I was at BWI last night and saw a southbound long distance train that appeared to have 3 sleepers on front and one sleeper on rear and no sign of a baggage car. (I may have missed it in front of the sleepers.)
  by Gilbert B Norman

chuchubob wrote:Surfliner coach 6403 and Amtrak sleeper 10200 Pacific Bend were outside Chicago Union Station Friday.
Mr. Vogel, as noted over at another topic a Surfliner car was deadhead on rear of #3 (26); likely the car you photographed and on it way home from Beech Grove to put some 'copper in the hopper' for Amtrak.

Also of note; company service car Pacific Bend has been returned to Phase III livery.
  by Tadman

Chicago Report (3/27/2011)

PVs: Sierra Hotel and it's mate were at 14th street coach yards.

As was NYC 448.

Over at BNSF, observation "Santa Fe" was parked at the south end of the BNSF coach yard. Best shot I could get...

Power: Someone asked a few months back where Amtrak's end-cab switchers were. One is in Chicago, parked out of the way in the shadows while the P32BWH do the shunting.

Meanwhile, the four lease geeps are down to two.

P42 #163 has the biggest mailbox letters I've ever seen.

Misc:
Serious graffiti, inbound Michigan train:

Pacific Something:

Shop trucks laying in pile along the river.
  by Irishiron

66(27) was by Holmesburg tonight 2" late with...

AMTK110 P42DC
AMTK107 P42DC
AMTK925 AEM-7AC (Pans Down)
Deadhead Amfleet
Baggage
4 Amfleets

Operating as such due to power suspension North of New Haven for wire work. Was definitely worth the detour on the way home.
  by daylight4449

Irishiron wrote:66(27) was by Holmesburg tonight 2" late with...

AMTK110 P42DC
AMTK107 P42DC
AMTK925 AEM-7AC (Pans Down)
Deadhead Amfleet
Baggage
4 Amfleets

Operating as such due to power suspension North of New Haven for wire work. Was definitely worth the detour on the way home.
Sure sounds like it. Why can't I ever get a catch like this when i'm in Old Orchard?