Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Terrapin Station

IrideNHline wrote:I didn't notice them all over the doors or windows. I did however see them screened/painted onto the non-skid between the door and platform. Makes sense since you check down to see the gap. Kinda hard to get a pic of that when everyone is getting on and off. Maybe if I am lucky enough to grab one home I can snap a shot getting off my stop.
Thanks. Yeah, I know what you are describing.
  by JohnJ

If anyone has any intel on the M8 schedule this week, I'd appreciate hearing it. My attempts thus far to get a high-quality photograph of these things in daylight have been for naught, but the Courant reports that two trainsets are supposed to be in operation this week - so I'm hoping that will better my chances for some good light. 6:24 a.m. out of New Haven and 5:54 p.m. back in (last week's schedule) doesn't cut it for me due to the lack of sun, and I'm not willing to drive south/west of Greenwich to get a shot.

The weather forecast calls for nice sun late this afternoon, and OK conditions on Tuesday.
  by IrideNHline

Time is Spring-ing Forward soon enough, but I can tell you that when I'm picked up at 6:35 in Milford that it is pretty light out. By the time we reach SoNo at around 4 after 7 it is daylight.
  by Train538

JohnJ wrote:If anyone has any intel on the M8 schedule this week, I'd appreciate hearing it. My attempts thus far to get a high-quality photograph of these things in daylight have been for naught, but the Courant reports that two trainsets are supposed to be in operation this week - so I'm hoping that will better my chances for some good light. 6:24 a.m. out of New Haven and 5:54 p.m. back in (last week's schedule) doesn't cut it for me due to the lack of sun, and I'm not willing to drive south/west of Greenwich to get a shot.

The weather forecast calls for nice sun late this afternoon, and OK conditions on Tuesday.
As far as I know, this is the schedule:

1048 (deadhead from GCT to Stamford)
  by morris&essex4ever

I wish NJ Transit ordered these to replace the Arrows!!
  by Train538

I'm actually correcting myself (LOL)-1588 has the M8s tonight (as my father is on it right now). The consist is still the same (9114 leading) although the head two cars are closed :-( .
  by IrideNHline

Here are a few more pics from this morning. I snapped some of the doors and vestibule area so you can see the decals and their placement. Also grabbed a few of the train as it departed. I know 9116 as I rode it again, then 9118, 9115, and 9114. Not sure of the others.

6 seats before the vestibule instead of 5 now

Outlets are definitely at each seat, this is on the 2-seat side

Plenty of leg room compared to the old cars

Door

Watch Your Step, located on each side of the door

Exit Decal

Top of Door

by Terrapin Station

IrideNHline wrote:Here are a few more pics from this morning. I snapped some of the doors and vestibule area so you can see the decals and their placement. Also grabbed a few of the train as it departed. I know 9116 as I rode it again, then 9118, 9115, and 9114. Not sure of the others.
Thank you very much for those 'excellently' illustrative photos.
  by IrideNHline

Best I could do with my iphone4. Now if I can just have the ability to ride one on the return trip instead of the "old faithfuls". I feel dirty when I get off them now, lol.

I did overhear a conductor complaining yesterday about the new M8 though. In regards to seating capacity, aisles not aligned, the seats, etc. Sorry to hear because even though the seats are noticeably harder, they offer much more support and comfort than before. Just being able to move your legs without hitting the seatback in front of you is a true pleasure and makes a very big difference.

They also made a complaint about the motion of the train, the old M's would jolt, jostle, and sway but they noted the new M8 has a softer ride but tends to roll more side to side. I have not noticed this but I don't stand up while riding most of the time. I can say however that when coming into a station or reaching a slow down point, the actions are a LOT less jerky.
  by Steamboat Willie

I can say however that when coming into a station or reaching a slow down point, the actions are a LOT less jerky.
Because unlike the newer cars, the old fleet you have better than a 1 in 2 chance of having a consist where no dynamic braking in some cars as well as dead cars that are buried, thus the effect of jerkiness you feel when accelerating/decelerating.

The newer cars do have less seating capacity, thanks largely due to the fact of the newer bathrooms. Can't have it all with a bigger bathroom and lots of seats.
  by jetfan

I tried to catch the 11:00 1349 train as someone posted a few posts back, however it was a set of M2's. Since I drove the hour or so to New Rochelle today, I thought that I would hang around for a little while in hopes of catching a set of M8's stroll through. Fortunately about 1:25 or so, a test train rolled in and stopped at NR for a little while before going backwards a little ways, then forward a ways to change tracks to make another Southbound pass. Here are three of the many shots that I took today:

Heading North:

On it's final pass heading back South:

It's nice when things are new! Unfortunately, they were on the wrong side so shadows were an issue.
  by bigrailfan

The M8's were on 1340 today, I got on in New Rochelle.
  by Gilbert B Norman

At this rate, I just may have to consider a joyride on these cars.

Although residing in Chicago, I am originally from, and my immediate family resides in Greenwich, as such I make several trips a year (fly KORD-KHPN; it is simply more "painless") to the area.
  by MACTRAXX

Jetfan: Knowing that you are a modeler should we look forward to an M8 HO model later this year? MACTRAXX
  by Silverliner II

I guess my camcorder and I should spend a couple hours at Stamford some afternoon this month. Time to go M8-fishing....