Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Silverliner II

By chance, the M-8 set was at GCT loading up to go on a Stamford local on Monday afternoon when I got back in from fanning the Hudson. Bonus to a perfect day! ;)
  by Clean Cab

I'm hoping the disaster in Japan doesn't slow up the building and shipping of M8 cars and parts.
  by kitn1mcc

Clean Cab wrote:I'm hoping the disaster in Japan doesn't slow up the building and shipping of M8 cars and parts.

may just not want to bring a geiger counter on board
  by DutchRailnut

The factory at Kobe is 500 miles away from the Nuclear plant and main area of Sunami.
  by Patrick A.

Aren't they supposed to be mainly be built in Lincoln from here on out?
  by DutchRailnut

How many times do we have to produce the numbers, 38 cars are comming from Kobe, so far 26 are delivered.
4 are enroute and 8 are either still in Kobe or maybe also on boat or port.
342 cars will be build in Lincoln Neb.
  by Gilbert B Norman

DutchRailnut wrote:The factory at Kobe is 500 miles away from the Nuclear plant and main area of Sunami.
But lest we forget, Mr. Railnut, that Japan has lost a significant amount of its electric power generating capacity; "something's gotta give'. Any politician knows the "give" will be with industrial production that can always be recovered in the future, rather than having the voters reaching for the light switch and nothing happening.
  by DutchRailnut

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:The factory at Kobe is 500 miles away from the Nuclear plant and main area of Sunami.
But lest we forget, Mr. Railnut, that Japan has lost a significant amount of its electric power generating capacity; "something's gotta give'. Any politician knows the "give" will be with industrial production that can always be recovered in the future, rather than having the voters reaching for the light switch and nothing happening.
Before this turns into a political rant, yes they lost generating capacity, they also lost many cities needing electricity.
and Again the M-8 manufacturing has been near completion in Kobe
and the Lincoln produced cars have most part content from USA.
  by Gilbert B Norman

DutchRailnut wrote:Before this turns into a political rant...
Good point, Mr. Railnut, with which I wholly concur.
DutchRailnut wrote: ......and the Lincoln produced cars have most part content from USA.
Thanks for that update, I was not previously aware of such.
  by weakcheeks

Is Mitsubishi Electric building the AC Traction Motors and IGBT inverters for the M8"s just like the M7's?
  by DutchRailnut

I believe so handled by/via Mitsubishi Electric Power Products Inc., Warrendale, Pennsylvania 15086-7537, U.S.A.
  by Ridgefielder

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Before this turns into a political rant...
Good point, Mr. Railnut, with which I wholly concur.
DutchRailnut wrote: ......and the Lincoln produced cars have most part content from USA.
Thanks for that update, I was not previously aware of such.
As a securities analyst I know commented, "Being worried that a tsunami in Sendai is going to affect Kobe is like worrying about the impact of Hurrican Katrina on the population of Denver."
  by Train538

Changing the topic, did the second set go into revenue today?
  by Tommy Meehan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Japan has lost a significant amount of its electric power generating capacity...
Japan's rolling blackouts are even effecting parts of Tokyo so it seems conceivable it could effect Kobe.

With the mess our economy has gotten itself into not sure I would pay too much attention to what a securities analyst thinks! :)

Btw, I saw my first M8s today. There were three of them sitting in the yard behind Kawasaki in Yonkers.
  by DutchRailnut

Train538 wrote:Changing the topic, did the second set go into revenue today?
no, postponed till next week