Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by andre

Clean Cab wrote:MN turns the mini bombs trains during the fall slip/slide season. Some think that having the engine shoving up the many hills gives better traction. I for one am not convinced that it makes any difference.
neither am I,

also this weekend i saw crews on the tracks near danbury station on the outer track laying new rails and cable at the switch,
will the switches all be remote once the signaling is complete??
  by andre

DutchRailnut wrote:Don't worry we will provide deluxe Motor coach operations for quite a while
those motor coaches are just "lovely" lol
  by MNCRR9000

andre wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:MN turns the mini bombs trains during the fall slip/slide season. Some think that having the engine shoving up the many hills gives better traction. I for one am not convinced that it makes any difference.
neither am I,

also this weekend i saw crews on the tracks near danbury station on the outer track laying new rails and cable at the switch,
will the switches all be remote once the signaling is complete??
After looking at some previous posts it looks as if most of the switches will be controlled remotely from the OCC.

I was also wondering how exactly do the insulated rail joints work??
  by 7express

DutchRailnut wrote:Don't worry we will provide deluxe Motor coach operations for quite a while

I like taking the city bus more then the coach. After Wilton its normally just the driver, conductor and myself.
  by DutchRailnut

MNCRR9000 wrote:
After looking at some previous posts it looks as if most of the switches will be controlled remotely from the OCC.

I was also wondering how exactly do the insulated rail joints work??
yes were not just putting in a signal system for the pretty lights, if the switches were still manual we could stay with manual block.
Will all switches be controlled by OCC, no the freight customers will have manual operated electric lock switches.

How does insulated rail joint work ?? it electricaly isolates the rail so a next signal block or crossing circuit can be created.
  by theozno

Make a Dutch man happy when you don't have to deal with a bike.. I have been driving to work because of the bike issue. I know... I know... I should have had a fold up bike a long time ago :wink:
  by gregorygrice

Last Saturday (10/16/10) There was train service on the Danbury Shuttle using a turned around set and Bl-20 #129. Also the Inspection train dropped by with Bl-20 #130 on one end and Ge GEnesis #204 on the other end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by DutchRailnut

See other threads as trhis has Nothing to do with siganal project.
  by gregorygrice

DutchRailnut wrote:See other threads as trhis has Nothing to do with siganal project.
I thought the Inspection Train would be related, but my appologies
  by MNCRR9000

It looks like the CDOT is providing project updates on its website about the Danbury Branch CTC project.

This release is from September 10, 2010 so it is a little old.
http://www.ct.gov/dot/lib/dot/documents ... -2010x.pdf

Clean Cab wrote:Insulated joints are now being installed next to the signal foundations at Dock Yard, Wilton and Branchville and at many intermediate points.
I enjoy your updates its nice being able to follow along and see how the project is progressing.
  by Patrick A.

Consider this thread dead until Spring if you're looking for updates.
  by Clean Cab

Why would this thread be dead? Just because the trenching is off until next spring, construction of the cab signal system will continue through the fall and winter.
  by MNCRR9000

I was curious if there have been any updates as to the status of the bethel lower siding have they started work on it I know that they dropped rail a couple if weeks ago.
  by DutchRailnut

no work at Bethel lower siding till next year I believe.
only work now, is conduit under roads at crossings, installing wire vaults next to isolated rail joints and instalation of concrete cable trays at locations where trenching is not possible.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by MNCRR9000

DutchRailnut wrote:no work at Bethel lower siding till next year I believe.
only work now, is conduit under roads at crossings, installing wire vaults next to isolated rail joints and instalation of concrete cable trains at locations where trenching is not possible.
Thanks for the info Dutch.