Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Slides

jimzim66 wrote:
mach5 wrote:i just went out and bought your app, its really nice. i woulda done something similar myself if i didn't have so many other projects :). anyway, here are the things i would like to see in future versions to turn this thing from great to totally awesome:
  • - really cool idea: have an alarm go off when you're a mile away from a station, that way i can nap without missing my stop
You can set your own alarm based on the arrival time...
But that depends on NJT getting to the station on time... :wink:
  by sullivan1985

mach5 wrote:really cool idea: have an alarm go off when you're a mile away from a station, that way i can nap without missing my stop
What happens when your train is disabled 1.1 miles from your stop? You might sleep through critical announcements!
  by HBLR

I just use iTrans, for nj transit, path, and NYC subway. The alarm thing is neat though I'm usually looking out a window & not sleeping.

Thanks for sharing, as an iPhone user, every useful app is appreciated!
  by klimchuk

You can set your own alarm based on the arrival time...
We all know NJ Transit is not so precise when it comes to arrival time during rush hour

That's why NJT Rails supports alarm based on distance from destination point.
  by pdman

I lived in North Jersey for many years and operated MUs on the Lackawanna in the 60s. We now live in Arizona where I now work. I got the app and thoroughly enjoy it vicariously as to what is running at what time and to look at the schedules compared to what I remember them as.

About a week ago, it stopped showing schedules. I put in an origin and a destination, and up would pop a "Looking for Trains" then a "No trains found." Am I doing something to botch this? Is this a bug (since I am three hours apart from New Jersey in the summer and it causes a bug?

Love the app when it works. Nice work.

Oh, I will be using it for real when in New Jersey for a few weeks in December.
  by klimchuk

pdman wrote: About a week ago, it stopped showing schedules. I put in an origin and a destination, and up would pop a "Looking for Trains" then a "No trains found." Am I doing something to botch this? Is this a bug (since I am three hours apart from New Jersey in the summer and it causes a bug?
In such case details are important: do you see it no matter what you select? what device you have?
Can u reinstall the app: delete it and download again?

P.S. I like Arizona
  by pdman

I have an iPhone3. I delected it and reloaded it. It seems to be working. Thanks much!

It's a great diversion in very boring meetings. A few weeks ago when I first got it, I even played with it on a flight between Hong Kong and back to LAX. Nice to have free wi fi in first class while in a bed under a duvet. Though it was in the middle of the night and saw the trains' schedules in New Jersey real time the next morning.
  by klimchuk

I'm glad the problem gone!

I've posted couple new shots from new version 1.4 on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/NJT-Rails/121222247921915
Please let me know if you see the way to make the app more useful or/and entertaining.
  by sullivan1985

klimchuk wrote:Please let me know if you see the way to make the app more useful or/and entertaining.
What if when there are power problems you play a GIF of a cute puppy with a power cord in his mouth with a disabled ALP behind him!
  by ns3010

sullivan1985 wrote:
klimchuk wrote:Please let me know if you see the way to make the app more useful or/and entertaining.
What if when there are power problems you play a GIF of a cute puppy with a power cord in his mouth with a disabled ALP behind him!
Genius.
  by klimchuk

sullivan1985 wrote:
I'm afraid Green Peace and Animal Protective Foundation will be both strongly disagree but... I like the idea
  by klimchuk

Just submitted update for NJT Light. New version will show bus schedules as typical PDF files. You just need to pick route number.
Once schedules downloaded the app will cache them and they can be used offline.
  by ErikS

I almost got an iPhone because of apps like this... but finally opted for an android. Thanks though - it looks pretty cool... wish I could use it. Must have taken a lot of work...
  by Trainrider

I hear NJT is coming out with a real-time web service for third parties.