• Hamiton station "trepassing station "

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sullivan1985

checkthedoorlight wrote:Look, if people want to kill themselves that badly, why not just set up a suicide booth on the station platform?
Hey now! I don't want to get trapped in some kind of suicide booth with a drunk bending unit! I could get myself killed!
  by Steampowered

Passaic River Rat wrote:
Steampowered wrote:
SILVERTRAIN wrote:I wouldn't waste a penny on trying to find a way to stop them. If they want to kill themselves that badly they will find a way.What are you going to do , prohibit passengers from being on the platform? At this point you might as well post a priest to give out last rites.

So from a purely intellectual point of view, you dont think this is bad publicity for NJT ?
Because I think people are smart enough to realize that mentally ill people are throwing themselves in front of moving trains, and NJT is not the problem. Indeed, the last two incidents involved Amtrak trains, not NJT trains.

The only "bad publicity" is passengers being delayed on NJT trains because of these incidents.
Doesnt the train have to stop for a period of time? Wasnt the entire track closed, for the last incident? Really if Amtrak/NJT at least attempted to prevent these, like how they did, at the tappan Zee, and many other bad sites. Its good business having trains delayed by 2-5 hrs, doesnt make amtrak/njt look good. Having an officer ready to arrest people beyond the yellow line at the station might be a good thing.
Last edited by Steampowered on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by alvoski

Hamilton station can fit a full 10 to 12 car train right? That is close to 1000 ft of platform to patrol. If its even slightly crowded the logistics of keeping one determined individual from trespassing is near impossible.
  by Passaic River Rat

Steampowered wrote:Doesnt the train have to stop for a period of time? Wasnt the entire track closed, for the last incident? Really if Amtrak/NJT at least attempted to prevent these, like how they did, at the tappan Zee, and many other bad sites. Its good business having trains delayed by 2-5 hrs, doesnt make amtrak/njt look good. Having an officer ready to arrest people beyond the yellow line at the station might be a good thing.
I will agree with your second post. Anything that can reduce delays safely and economically is good. But you seemed to lament people getting killed[albeit by their own decision and actions] and NOT lamenting delays.

Is your concern over delays - or saving people from themselves?
  by SILVERTRAIN

why don' t they install an overhead brain sensor and anyone with the thought of suicide gets zapped on the spot, bagged and taken away.
  by darthdoosh

SILVERTRAIN wrote:why don' t they install an overhead brain sensor and anyone with the thought of suicide gets zapped on the spot, bagged and taken away.
Perhaps they could mount a blob on the front of all trains to bounce trespassers back onto the platform upon impact.

http://sites.younglife.org/sites/YoungL ... e/Blob.jpg They already come in high-visibility paint schemes, too.
  by GE-RULES

There is nothing that can be easily done to stop these un-persons (who are basically a waste of oxygen and unproductve eaters) from committing their act of sheer stupidity.
  by Jtgshu

A person was hit just west of Roselle Park station a litlte while ago -

Its not just at Hamilton.............
  by sullivan1985

I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of this. A railroad can only go so far to keep people off the property.

However I do like the idea of lining the RoW with motion and heat sensing .50 caliber machine guns.
  by wolfboy8171981

The concequence for trespassing is death. Do not pass go, Do not collect $200. Do not waste money for something you cannot control.
  by TheTroll

sullivan1985 wrote:I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of this. A railroad can only go so far to keep people off the property.

However I do like the idea of lining the RoW with motion and heat sensing .50 caliber machine guns.
How about a nose gunner on each train? :-D :wink:
  by cruiser939

njt5140 wrote:Here we go AGAIN....
The only guarantees in life are death, taxes, and someone starting a thread in the NJT forum every time some idiot decides to step in front of a train.
  by ATCFault

cruiser939 wrote:
The only guarantees in life are death, taxes, and someone starting a thread in the NJT forum every time some idiot decides to step in front of a train.
My thoughts exactly
  by Kaback9

sullivan1985 wrote:
TheTroll wrote:How about a nose gunner on each train? :-D :wink:
Mr. Sullivan we got MV-100 for you today. Machine Gun extra. How much deadhead?
They are still negotiating pay..
cruiser939 wrote:
Amen.