• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by nomis

The URHS RDC's M-402 & M-408 (ref) are not used for Passenger Service to Cape May, but rather M-407 & M-410 .
  by JLo

Missed it by a week. Rats. Well, I'm glad he is up and running again.
  by glennk419

nomis wrote:The URHS RDC's M-402 & M-408 (ref) are not used for Passenger Service to Cape May, but rather M-407 & M-410 .
M-408 is in considerably better condition than the rest of it's out of service sisters. It was stored at Wildwood Junction until early 2009 when it was moved to Tuckahoe with the rest of the equipment. To my eye, it certainly would look to be the next candidiate for restoration and service.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennk419/ ... 686733115/
  by dlagrua

NJTArrow2 wrote:I am going to ride the train Wednesday. :-D
If a historian is not giving a narration that day be sure to ask where to look for the wye and the point connection after you cross the bridge and get into Cape May. The wye is in plain sight on the East side while the switch to the point is on the West side but difficult to see as its pretty overgrown. Its exciting to see the train at Cape May station again and I'm certain that the CMSL will enjoy a strong ridership when they return to Cape May in 2011. Yes its been a long road back but now the naysayers ( and we seem to have a few here) can now stop complaining and ride the train again. Its a most enjoyable experience.
  by TOMSTV

Where do ya go after the train arrives at the cape may station?, is there a restruant at the station ?, for me ,just the ride down would be pretty cool in it's self alone. As for the Hawk Haven vineyard,it said they make a stop there? if so do you have to cross a feild to get there? Thanks.
  by glennk419

TOMSTV wrote:Where do ya go after the train arrives at the cape may station?, is there a restruant at the station ?, for me ,just the ride down would be pretty cool in it's self alone. As for the Hawk Haven vineyard,it said they make a stop there? if so do you have to cross a feild to get there? Thanks.
If you've never been to Cape May, you're in for a treat. The town is full of Victorian homes and B&B's and just a couple blocks from the station is the Washington Street Mall which is lined with galleries, boutiques and plenty of eateries and drinkeries as well as an old fashioned Five and Dime. A couple more blocks and you are at the beach which also has plenty of attractions. If you take the first train of the day into town, you should have plenty of time to do a little sightseeing and grab a bite to eat.

As far as Hawk Haven, yes, you need to walk through the vineyards and across Railroad Avenue (appropriately named as it follows the old ROW of the PRR) to get to the winery itself.
  by ChrisU

dlagrua wrote:
If a historian is not giving a narration that day be sure to ask where to look for the wye and the point connection after you cross the bridge and get into Cape May. The wye is in plain sight on the East side while the switch to the point is on the West side but difficult to see as its pretty overgrown. Its exciting to see the train at Cape May station again and I'm certain that the CMSL will enjoy a strong ridership when they return to Cape May in 2011. Yes its been a long road back but now the naysayers ( and we seem to have a few here) can now stop complaining and ride the train again. Its a most enjoyable experience.
I will be sure to ask. :wink:
  by nayaugpark52

NJTArrow2 wrote:
dlagrua wrote:
I will be sure to ask. :wink:
I have a couple of pictures up on it earlier in the thread if you want to check out what you're looking for before you go.
  by south jersey trains

It would be great if some how CMSL could find a steam locomotive to run on the line.It would be hard to find one ,but a great attraction.I bet centrel and south America still has some of our old ones we sold or gave away when we switched to diesel,but shipping would be expensive.
  by blockline4180

south jersey trains wrote:It would be great if some how CMSL could find a steam locomotive to run on the line.It would be hard to find one ,but a great attraction.I bet centrel and south America still has some of our old ones we sold or gave away when we switched to diesel,but shipping would be expensive.

I guess you missed Thomas the tank engine in 2005. !
  by JJMDiMunno

south jersey trains wrote:It would be great if some how CMSL could find a steam locomotive to run on the line.It would be hard to find one ,but a great attraction.I bet centrel and south America still has some of our old ones we sold or gave away when we switched to diesel,but shipping would be expensive.
A nice idea, but the concept of steam power also requires much more extensive maintenance facilities to service steam locomotives. Think along the lines of what Strasburg has to really do it right.

Mike DiMunno
  by Kaback9

When I think of what was the PRSL I don't think immediately of steam locomotives but rather Baldwins and RDC's. I think things are fine the way they are and as was mentioned the facilities and other requirements for operating steam would also be a problem.
  by chuchubob

blockline4180 wrote:

I guess you missed Thomas the tank engine in 2005. !
The last steam engine to visit Cape May, on August 12, 2005.