• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by frrc

matignon82 wrote:The Komatsu was on the tracks at Cumby's yesterday in hi-rail mode and MIA this morning. Parked back beside the cinder block building this evening. Was the cinder block building a freight depot in the past?
I think it was a power sub station in the days when the line was electrified, and later on used as storage/office use.

J
  by slashmaster

I noticed something interesting yesterday, just north of the West Upton yard there are even more ties marked for replacement, including one of the ones they just put in several months back.
  by Cosmo

slashmaster wrote:I noticed something interesting yesterday, just north of the West Upton yard there are even more ties marked for replacement, including one of the ones they just put in several months back.
I noticed last weekend that North of the yard there are bundles of NEW ties sitting out waiting to go in.
  by slashmaster

Cosmo wrote:
slashmaster wrote:I noticed something interesting yesterday, just north of the West Upton yard there are even more ties marked for replacement, including one of the ones they just put in several months back.
I noticed last weekend that North of the yard there are bundles of NEW ties sitting out waiting to go in.
Those have been sitting for months, they are second hand.
  by Cosmo

slashmaster wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
Those have been sitting for months, they are second hand.
The ones all along the mainline going North? Well, they LOOK brand new. Pretty good shape for used. :wink:
  by SkiScorcher88

On an unrelated note -
Congratulations everyone on reaching the 100th page on the G&U!
Who knew such an obscure little short line could generate so much interest :-)
Here's to the next 100 pages :wink:
  by g-u-rr

frrc wrote:
matignon82 wrote:The Komatsu was on the tracks at Cumby's yesterday in hi-rail mode and MIA this morning. Parked back beside the cinder block building this evening. Was the cinder block building a freight depot in the past?
I think it was a power sub station in the days when the line was electrified, and later on used as storage/office use.

J
According to a photo caption on pp 20 of the November 4, 1999 edition of the NRHS BULLETIN, " ... A concrete block freight office at Grafton replaced the old wooden depot which burned to the ground in June 1940. " . The photo was credited to William Dulmaine.
  by slashmaster

Cosmo wrote: The ones all along the mainline going North? Well, they LOOK brand new. Pretty good shape for used. :wink:
Wow they must have just put those out. They already replaced several of the ties by the crossing, some of the rail is removed and the pavement cut, like they are going to rebuild it very soon. Maybe even tomorow? The MOW is nowhere nearby, just a front end loader, so they must have replaced those ties by hand.
  by Cosmo

I didn't see the cut in the pavement last time, they must have done that just this past week or so.
  by slashmaster

Good news, a serious amount of work was done today. Looks like they completely dug out and rebuilt the Glen Ave crossing today, when I arrived the roadblocks on each end of the street were still up but it was finished, the pavement was still very warm. Most of the MOW was there and just north of Glen Ave the tie inserter pulled out all the marked ties, still has yet to insert fresher ones. Looks like south of the crossing the ballast regulator may have done a little work too! Seems like progress at the stove pellet factory is going well too but I have no idea what's going on inside. Hopefully tomorrow they will make more progress replacing the marked ties.
  by slashmaster

Triker wrote:Have they done any work recently near the pinz bowling/milford yard?
Really don't think so, looks like they are concentrating on current customers.
  by slashmaster

Interesting things are happening in the West Upton yard now. They are fixing up the rest of the yard track they have yet to fix up although they have still yet to touch the spur to the factory. They also did something else I'm trying to figure out. There is a place with a short section of all 3 tracks removed as if they are going to put a pipeline or cables under them. If anyone wants to make a vid or take pics of the action tomorrow would probably be a great day to go.
  by Cosmo

slashmaster wrote:Interesting things are happening in the West Upton yard now. They are fixing up the rest of the yard track they have yet to fix up although they have still yet to touch the spur to the factory. They also did something else I'm trying to figure out. There is a place with a short section of all 3 tracks removed as if they are going to put a pipeline or cables under them. If anyone wants to make a vid or take pics of the action tomorrow would probably be a great day to go.
OOHH! Hmm,... I just might. :wink: