• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by matignon82

The Komatsu was ditching at Cumbies in Grafton when I drove through this morning.
  by g-u-rr

I took the map of the G&U passenger loop ( operated by the Milford & Uxbridge St Ry I believe ) through Upton with me today to check out how the trip would have been in the day. The entire route has automobile access except the approx .2 mile segment at the Upton end where it would have joined back onto the G&U main. By the way, according to the odometer, it is about a 3.1 mile detour off of the main. A few observations/questions came to mind.
--- In the time where the M&U operated on the G&U, did passenger service also exist on that section of the G&U mainline that was by-passed by the loop?
--- The stations on the G&U main had milepost locations. For example, WEST UPTON was at MP 7.58 . Did the G&U ever have any actual mileposts in the ground? Even if the MP #'s were painted on the line-side poles, it would be a nice modeling detail if we could find a photo of one.
--- According to a 1920 PATHFINDER guide, all of the named stations on the G&U had both Telegraph and Money Order services available.
--- I haven't been able to find a photo of where the Loop joined onto the mainline on either end. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
--- Current G&U. I noticed that the Business car has been "tagged" on the observation end. On the same morning that I noticed it, there was a Grafton, MA police car & Officer talking to workers at the NG freight house. It's a sad sign of the times, if that happened here.
Well, thank you for letting me ramble. Have a GREAT day, Mike Rossi :-D :-D
  by never in vain

Just to let you know the coach has been tagged for months,it was done when they were doing the track work in the yard and they had to put it down the other end of the yard out of veiw from what i was told.Who cares its stripped to primer and there going to paint it any way. If someone does the units from what i hear they will be done and this is no joke.How many of you tree hugging bleeding hearts are rail fans,because if it was my stuff and I caught you would not be breathing,you are the problem why our country has failed.
  by Cosmo

never in vain wrote:Just to let you know the coach has been tagged for months,it was done when they were doing the track work in the yard and they had to put it down the other end of the yard out of veiw from what i was told.Who cares its stripped to primer and there going to paint it any way. If someone does the units from what i hear they will be done and this is no joke.How many of you tree hugging bleeding hearts are rail fans,because if it was my stuff and I caught you would not be breathing,you are the problem why our country has failed.
I don't think it was the "tree hugging bleeding hearts" that tagged the car. :wink:
  by never in vain

Mabey ,we will cross paths some day at g&u you got your picture posted.smart.
  by Cosmo

Funny thing is I was just through there a few hours ago!
Anybody remember seeing a blue PT Cruiser with CT plates? :wink:
  by g-u-rr

.-- Current G&U. I noticed that the Business car has been "tagged" on the observation end. On the same morning that I noticed it, there was a Grafton, MA police car & Officer talking to workers at the NG freight house. It's a sad sign of the times, if that happened here.
Well, thank you for letting me ramble. Have a GREAT day, Mike Rossi :-D :-D[/quote]

THANK YOU to all who have been a real help in my G&U research & questions in the past.
However, I've been kind'a flamed twice now and that is 2x too much for me. I'll try to get my research questions answered in the REAL WORLD from now on. Who knows, maybe I'll even get to meet some of the nice folks I've met on Railroad.net!
Thanks again, Mike Rossi :-)
  by matignon82

So now that we are done with the liberal bashing, anything new going on? They were doing some work in Grafton Ctr. last week but the Komatsu has not moved since. I drive through there twice a day during the week now that I am working in Millbury but the ditching operation is all the activity I have noticed. Really hoping to run into a train some day.

On an unrelated note, the P&W passes right through my company's property in Millbury, anyone know of a thread that discusses this line? (Is that the Prov-Worc main?). I have caught a couple of locals in the three weeks that I have been there but that is about it.
  by never in vain

. You guys are right i am sorry but if it were my car i would be b.s. and they started painting the 4634 soon to be 1751 today. I stopped by today and the yellow is done and they will tape it up and we should see it painted black in the next few weeks.
  by slashmaster

matignon82 wrote:So now that we are done with the liberal bashing, anything new going on? They were doing some work in Grafton Ctr. last week but the Komatsu has not moved since. I drive through there twice a day during the week now that I am working in Millbury but the ditching operation is all the activity I have noticed. Really hoping to run into a train some day.

On an unrelated note, the P&W passes right through my company's property in Millbury, anyone know of a thread that discusses this line? (Is that the Prov-Worc main?). I have caught a couple of locals in the three weeks that I have been there but that is about it.
Yes, it looks like this week they put up 2 new towers each next to the large silos. Looks like there is a conveyor belt that goes from the small silos in back to these towers which will dump the pellets in the large silos. What I'm still trying to figure out is will the G & U be hauling in the raw wood chips, hauling out the finished stove pellets, or both?
  by matignon82

At least that is one new customer. Is the pellet operation owned by the G&U or unrelated? I need to explore more of the line.
  by slashmaster

matignon82 wrote:At least that is one new customer. Is the pellet operation owned by the G&U or unrelated? I need to explore more of the line.
unrelated, in case you didn't know the G & U already has been bringing tank cars to West Upton but that looks like it's not even going to be a dozen a year. This Pellet factory is going to generate way more traffic than that.
  by matignon82

The Komatsu was on the tracks at Cumby's yesterday in hi-rail mode and MIA this morning. Parked back beside the cinder block building this evening. Was the cinder block building a freight depot in the past?