• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by p42thedowneaster

Wow, I think the second photo might reveal a cause to the problem. I see cross ties, but I don't see tie plates or even spikes on the last two ties before the crossing! What's under the asphalt...nobody knows!
  by Cosmo

g-u-rr wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
g-u-rr wrote: What a GREAT time capsule for the future to find..... : -D By the way, the clear "*" stuff starts only a couple of inches below the stone behind the repainted white fence where the entrance was. If someone is bored while train watching, they could see what this stuff looks like years after it cured.
Aaaahhh,.... I was wondering about that. :wink
Your standard " It belongs in a museam! Indiana Jones " quote fits in PERFECTLY here.... :-D
Thanks!
I've thought about maybe changing it to "Snakes.... why did it have to be SNAKES!?!?!?" :P
  by g-u-rr

Hi all, Slashmaster's recent photo postings of the sunkink and equipment at the NG yard reminded me that I've been trying to find out information about the G&U business car. I believe that it came in lettered for the GULF & MOBILE. Can anyone supply information to track down the original history of this car so I can see what HO scale models have been made to model this car? Thanks in advance! :-)
  by slashmaster

g-u-rr wrote:Hi all, Slashmaster's recent photo postings of the sunkink and equipment at the NG yard reminded me that I've been trying to find out information about the G&U business car. I believe that it came in lettered for the GULF & MOBILE. Can anyone supply information to track down the original history of this car so I can see what HO scale models have been made to model this car? Thanks in advance! :-)
I believe I've seen something very close in HO so shouldn't be a problem. A bit of testors flat gray and a rusty brown to smear in all the seems and your golden. DId you ever find something that comes close to the caboose they had? What else do you have so far for this layout your making?
  by g-u-rr

I believe I've seen something very close in HO so shouldn't be a problem. A bit of testors flat gray and a rusty brown to smear in all the seems and your golden. DId you ever find something that comes close to the caboose they had? What else do you have so far for this layout your making?
:-D The paint scheme that you describe sounds very easy to duplicate. :wink: I found out some more information on the former GULF & OHIO business car. It came to the G&U with the name FRENCH BROAD RIVER and an Amtrak car# 800128. According to the Private Car Summary list, these #'s remain permanently with the car. Research there shows it to be the former PULLMAN company HAMPTON ROADS, built in 1927. BTW, it is listed as currently being in a " business " configuration. I believe that is a euphemism for " heavy interior modification ". That gives me a good base for research. I was able to pick up a kind'a mushed up Walther's 19000 series NYC caboose that looks like the right type for the older G&U cabooses. Painting the end stripes will be a challenge if I paint it with the roof on. I'm considering cutting it off for painting and when I re-attach it use a somewhat wider wood strip to hide the cut. First, of course, I have to get it roadworthy. It got played with kind of hard. My layout is of West Upton yard area. I've built the set of buildings from the Upton Fuel & Construction company down to the last one where you went up to cross over into the yard. I'm glad I got pictures of this group before the renovation. I also built the West Upton station and a stylized version of the Knowlton hat factory, being a landmark in the area.
  by Cosmo

I'd really like to see that! :-D
Pics when you can? Please? :wink:
  by slashmaster

If anyone cares to watch they are out right now with the Komatsu (with additional flanged wheels) and it has a brush cutter attachment that they are and have been using to widen the right of way. It was a block north of West Upton yard when I saw it. I'm guessing at some point they must have sold or taken the torch to the old brush cutter (I think it was a pettibone) because I have not seen it around.
  by g-u-rr

slashmaster wrote:If anyone cares to watch they are out right now with the Komatsu (with additional flanged wheels) and it has a brush cutter attachment that they are and have been using to widen the right of way. It was a block north of West Upton yard when I saw it. I'm guessing at some point they must have sold or taken the torch to the old brush cutter (I think it was a pettibone) because I have not seen it around.
I drove over the crossing on the south side of the West Upton yard yesterday and noticed that the old " 2 tracks " crossing sign didn't appear to be standing. There was a new-style, standard railroad-crossing sign there on a very short pole. The original was a classic. I hope it got preserved. ( I also hope that I was wrong and it is actually still there and I just didn't see it !! ) :(
  by g-u-rr

Cosmo wrote:I'd really like to see that! :-D
Pics when you can? Please? :wink:
Well.. I've got a couple of photos of the models I've built in the Grafton & Upton West Upton yard area. My structures are compressed to fit the space I have, but I think they catch the spirit of them. I am a beginner to HO modeling, but these ARE the only models of these structures that I've ever seen. I hope someone can step forward and show others to us! :-D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Mondo

RE:"I'm guessing at some point they must have sold or taken the torch to the old brush cutter (I think it was a pettibone) because I have not seen it around"

It was a Pettibone, two years ago I was at the welders shop in Hopedale, near Freedom St. He was repairing the blade assembly for the brush cutter head, it was real beat up, he explained to me that they rented that machine from someone, and always had to repair something on it every time they used it. It never would have stood up to the routine use that will be required now.
  by Cosmo

NICE WORK G-u-rr!
Excellent eye for detail.
I especially like that you included the meter and (I'm guessing it's) a thermometer/sign beside the fuel co. door.
Good job, and thanks for posting! :-D
  by never in vain

Gand U did not own that they rented that from A.J bellevieu (cnzr)Central New England railroad.From what I hear from talking to the G AND U guys the other day , a.j purchesed the 212 motor and came and picked it up two weeks ago to use on the three rs1 he owns.So all you bleeding hearts out there it went to good use after all.Mabey we will see his ccc rs1 up and running soon on the armory branch.
  by Cosmo

Lets hope so!
LONG LIVE OLD ALCOS!! :-D
  by slashmaster

Looks like in West Upton they put the 5 hoppers they had put in the siding back onto the new spur. They also brought in another tank car and empty coverd hopper (still trying to figure out what the coverd hopper is for. If any of you guys still collect VHS tapes someone on the corner of Depot Street and Hartford Ave South is giving away several hundred, maybe even a couple thousand VHS tapes. Looks like the majority are blank and some are various movies, Southpark, Star Trek, Americas funniest home video's and others recorded off TV. I myself couldn't find any on railroads or Rock music so therefore took nothing. But there are enough vids for several peoples lifetime supply.
  by jjsatorm

I’m going to throw in to the GU debate. I’m not quite the average railfan, having I worked as VP of 2 shortlines, sat on the board of a third, and worked as a shortline management consultant, before leaving the life in 2005 for more profitable enterprises. I’m going to throw down my comments, and let everyone get mad as they see fit afterwards.

G&U is a low volume line with low tariff traffic. They currently own 3 EMDs, which is very likely $200,000++ in capital expense. They cannot afford having so much tied up in 3 EMDs, nor do they need 3 or them anyway. Their need to scrap running, bluecarded Alco S4 #212 quickly to generate short-term cash is usually a pretty good indicator of financial position. Every line that I have ever seen that has done this is now a rail-trail.