• Mount Washington Cog Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by tjm304

MBTA3247 wrote:I'm looking for information (names, numbers, and construction dates) on the following locomotives and coaches:

the black diesel (M-2?)
the red diesel (M-3?)
coach #1
coach #2 (Dreamcatcher?)
coach #9

If there's a full roster out there somewhere, that would be good, too. Thanks.

M-2 and M-3 were built in 2009 and to my knowledge have not been named yet.
I'm not sure of the names of the coaches but I know #1 was built in 1998 and #2 and #9 were built in 1999 or 2000.

If you know the names of any of the other coaches could you please let me know.
  by cogger

tjm304 wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:I'm looking for information (names, numbers, and construction dates) on the following locomotives and coaches:

the black diesel (M-2?)
the red diesel (M-3?)
coach #1
coach #2 (Dreamcatcher?)
coach #9

If there's a full roster out there somewhere, that would be good, too. Thanks.

M-2 and M-3 were built in 2009 and to my knowledge have not been named yet.
I'm not sure of the names of the coaches but I know #1 was built in 1998 and #2 and #9 were built in 1999 or 2000.

If you know the names of any of the other coaches could you please let me know.
The coaches aren't officially named. They pick up nick names by the crews. All equipment at the cog is referred to by a number. The locos are all named, but I can't remember the the diesel names. I think Agiocochook is being used again and maybe Abenaki. No one ever says I am on the Waumbek today.....it would be I am on the 9 today.
  by MBTA3247

I got up early on Saturday to ride the 9AM trip, which ended up using the Waumbek. All three diesels were out, and only M-2 was missing its side panels. At some point recently all three diesels finally got lettered, so I have an updated roster of them.

M-1 (green): Wajo Nanatassis

M-2 (black): Algonquin

M-3 (red): Abenaki

M-4 (yellow): currently under construction and presumably still unnamed.
  by #7470

so is just the 9am train powered by steam? i already reserved my tickets but cant find anywhere on the website that states that the 9am train is steam powered. can someone please confirm whether or not the 9am is powered by steam
  by cogger

#7470 wrote:so is just the 9am train powered by steam? i already reserved my tickets but cant find anywhere on the website that states that the 9am train is steam powered. can someone please confirm whether or not the 9am is powered by steam
The 9:00 train is steam powered. It is the only scheduled steam trip. This is from the website

For those of you that want the nostalgia of an antique steam train, we run a Steam Special at 9:00 am each day. Make your reservations early as this is the only definite steam train each day!
  by mc367

Have there been more steam runs on busy weekends to keep up with crowds?

Justin Franz
  by atsf sp

Nice shot!
  by p&w3901

I was up on the summit last week, and as much as I understand the rationale for switching to biodiesel, it just isn't the same atmosphere for the cog, or anyone who appreciates it and its' history. The cog comes up to the summit, no whistle, no nothing- it sounds like a tractor trailer backing into a loading dock. Same thing when it left. My wife compared it to a bulldozer.
  by greenus90

Any cog is better than no cog. The only hope for full time steam would be for someone rich to buy it and operate it at a loss.
  by b&m 1566

It won't happen tomorrow, it won't happen next week, it may not even happen next year but somewhere down the road, railfan’s will start to like the diesel engines, you just have to give it time to get used of them. Railfan's were probably saying the same thing in the late 40's 50's and early 60's when diesels took over steam.
  by Reader#108

I agree with B&M.....I was there on Saturday and got to go through the work shop...What a place! The M-4 was in there and looks like she'll be ready to go in the not to distant future.I was facinated by the way they were building their own stuff and the quality was amazing! Everyone was very nice to myself and my son and answered all of our questions! IT WAS AWESOME! A highly recommended stop on any railfan tour!