• Mount Washington Cog Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by JohnK

A good man. He was postal clerk on the summit of the mountain (and an employee of the Cog RR) for nearly 30% of the years the Cog RR has been in existence! When he began work on the RR in the early 1960s, there were still a couple guys around who had worked there since the 1920s. He spent the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and a good deal of the 00's on the summit, selling stamps and handling the mail. Up on the first train, down on the last, every summer for close to 50 years.

I'll never forget the hours and hours I spent with him in the little summit Post Office, 10-20 minutes at a time, 2 or 3 times a day for the several years I worked there.

Another era comes to an end.

Thanks Walter, and we'll catch you again someday, from your friend John K.
  by cogger

Reader#108 wrote:I haven't been up far enough into the mountains this year.....are they still on track to do a steamer each day?
Yes, it departs at 9 each day. I worked it today and will be on it again tomorrow.
  by MBTA3247

I'm looking for information (names, numbers, and construction dates) on the following locomotives and coaches:

the black diesel (M-2?)
the red diesel (M-3?)
coach #1
coach #2 (Dreamcatcher?)
coach #9

If there's a full roster out there somewhere, that would be good, too. Thanks.
  by KevinM

Does anyone know how many steam engines are still operable at The Cog?

I visited and rode a couple of trips early last year when there was only one diesel in service. My observation at the time was that there were about 5 machines left that could still run. From what I could see, 2, 4(masquerading as 8), 6, 9 and 10 were all steaming at one time or another. By Labor Day however, the only machine I saw actually making the ascent was 9.

This year, Trains Magazine indicated that just one steamer would run, but I'm not sure if they've confused ONE run per day with ONE engine. I would think that more than one would be needed to ensure the availability of steam power. What's the real scoop? How many can still be fired up and what will become of those that the railway decides not to maintain?

Also, has MWRC considered having a few "steam weekends" when they put more than one on the hill? I haven't been to The Cog since late last year, but I'd be there in a heartbeat if they were going to run some steam trips.
  by MBTA3247

The regular schedule (for this year, at least) is to have the first trip of the day be steam-powered. According to one of the brakemen I had, two steam locos will be retained for this operation. Another will be displayed at the base station, one by Fabyans Station along US 302, and one is going to the Smithsonian.
  by b&m 1566

I was hoping that one of the engines would be going to the Smithsonian! I also like the idea of one being placed down near Fabyan Station.
  by cogger

The 9 is being used because it has a feedwater heater installed. Makes for more efficiency. The 2 also has a feedwater heater, so it would most likely get certified. The 6 and 10 are also capable of being fired up. The 4, although painted as the 8, is the one slated for display in Twin Mtn near the gazebo. The 3 is the one that was offered for sale on ebay many months back.

Steam runs at 9 am because it is really the only place it fits into the schedule. It goes up and stays extra time until the first diesel comes up and they go down as a double. As soon as the diesels get on the hill, it is in the way. They make the trip to the top in 40 minutes.

Steam won't be back for the same reasons every other railroad switched. I am as disappointed in this as many people are now and were back in the 50s when it went away from mainline. I opted to not work there much last year and had decided to not work at all this year. I got a call to come up and work Mem Day weekend, and I am glad I did. The mountain is still the same, the track is still the same and a diesel Cog is way better than NO Cog. I ran several trips on the diesels and they are awesome machines. The engineering and construction are top notch and railfans should take a look at them. They are the future of the Cog. Don't stay away because there isn't steam every hour. I almost made that mistake.
  by KevinM

Thanks for the quick replies folks! Cogger, I appreciate the detailed response on the locos. There is a lot of history in the engine house at The Cog, and if the engines are destined to be retired, it would be great to see them find good homes. I'm glad to know that there are still a few on the property that "could" be certified and fired-up. I guess while that is the case, there is always hope for a railfan weekend or something of that sort. I understand that a mix of power just isn't efficient. Your observation about the steam engine being "just in the way" is word-for-word my first impression when I was there in the early summer of 2009.

I've been a steam enthusiast since I was a kid. In the past few years, since digital photography came into its own, I've been trying to document some of the places I've visited and The Cog has been a special project of mine. While I started that project way too late, I was fortunate to get a few good days up on the mountain. Most of my train rides in the past couple of years have been one-way. Ride up....hike down. With the weather being fickle up there...and sometimes downright dangerous...I choose my days very carefully.

Here's a link to some of my better shots: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... C%7C%7C%7C

There are still a lot of shots I would love to get, but it will be tough on one run per day. Not many ways to get into position for those shots without a train ride, but if I ride it, I can't shoot it. I know charter operators who would charter The Cog in a heartbeat, but I think we all realize that the fuel and water capacity of the locos makes that impractical. There are also few spots where patrons could safely detrain.

Still, as long as there are steam engines that can run up the mountain, I will keep coming up there. It is one of the most impressive steam operations I've ever visited. Just sad that after 140 years of it, they had to quit during my lifetime......

/Kevin
  by superwarp1

I know the general public won't care if it's steam or diesel for the most part. As a steam railfan I do. If steam is gone for good soon so am I. If I'm paying that kind of my I want what made the cog RR famous.

Really glad I rode three years ago. The sights, the sounds, the smell just won't be the same without steam.
  by dtouellet

I have taken the family up to ride the Cog several times over the past 25 years. I always enjoyed the ride and just watching the steamers working on the mountain. It's sad to see the possible passing of yet another piece of railroad history. I can understand the use of the diesels but I personally won't be spending my money riding in front of one up the mountain. The Cog should continue to maintain and use a few steamers for special events and periodic runs.

I will always have fond memories of the time I spent in area, but now the draw of an all steam powered railroad is gone. I guess I'll go to North Conway next time I go to NH and take another ride on the Notch train and look over at Mount Washington and remember what used to be.
  by greenus90

There's always the 9 oclock run. 10% of the daily runs will cater to the 10% who are diehard steam fans. Get up early and get up there. I have left Nashua 5am numerous occasions to get there at 8am for the first run :P

I don't think you will hear many 8 year olds on the train say, "Daddy, I sure wish #2 were shoving us up the hill instead of this John Deere powered contraption!"
  by cogger

Reader#108 wrote:LOL...hey cogger...can a regular person get a tour of the roundhouse?
Sure, the shops are usually open. The shop guys are cool, you won't get a guided tour, but they probably won't throw you out, either!