• Proposed PATCO Expansion

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Bill R.

ExCon90 wrote:
Experience on a number of properties, Sacramento and Dallas, for example, has been that once a service is up and running over the first part of the route, people farther out begin clamoring for it to be extended--maybe a service startup would have a similar effect on the mayors at the more distant places.
But the problem, much as it was on Schuylkill Valley Metro, is one of Economy of Scale. Trying to justify an extension beyond Glassboro to Millville on the full weight of costs for that segment alone, vs. the costs if integrated with the Camden-Glassboro build, becomes much harder to do. The ridership levels between Glassboro and Millville probably wouldn't pass any funding criteria, even if substantially relaxed. Ii is not clear to me that even the Camden-Glassboro segment ever will.

Given the fact that the powers-that-be abandoned the one-seat ride, they should have at least commited to a Millville extension as a quid pro quo. I happen to think that the ridership to/from Rowan and points south might be greater than expected.

Re:

by Bill R.

Input sought on light-rail line --
The Courier Post wrote:The first leg between Camden and Woodbury could be running in six years if funding pledged by former Gov. Jon S. Corzine comes through. Saddled with a bankrupt Transportation Trust Fund, Gov. Chris Christie's transportation team seems less interested in starting a massive project than their predecessors.

Speaking at a Senate budget committee hearing last month, Jim Simpson, state transportation commissioner, said all proposed rail extension in the state will be evaluated for need, rather than political reasons. He also said additional rapid bus transit might be as effective. The days of "build it and they will come," he added, are over.
They should just come clean and admit that they have no intention of providing NJ state funding for NJ-3, whether because NJ really doesn't have the money, because they want to redirect it to North Jersey somewhere, or because they just want to bust the chops of NJ State Senate President Steve Sweeney (through whose district NJ-3 would run) for blocking many of Governor Christie's initiatives.
  by satellite09

Hopefully, patco will build the tracks and SEPTA will be the operator. That's the idea that makes the most sense. Otherwise it'll confuse the hell out of people who aren't from around here. SEPTA should operate Philly transit. Only makes sense.

Plus, this is what is going to happening anyway.
  by mgdemarco

Septa is going to run about 25 miles deep into South Jersey?!
  by R3 Passenger

We already know what happens when SEPTA runs rail with diesel power. I say just leave it as is. Some service is better than no service.
  by Patrick Boylan

I assume satellite09 is talking about the proposed PATCO expansions in Philly, Delaware Ave and Market St, not the Woodbury-Glassboro-Vineland-Millville proposal.

People, please be a bit clearer what you're referring to, otherwise it'll confuse people, even those who are from around here. satellite09, if you did actually mean the South Jersey Patco proposal, and not the Philly Patco proposal, my apologies, but if so why do you think SEPTA operating Philly transit should apply to a line in Jersey?
  by WaitinginSJ

mgdemarco wrote:Septa is going to run about 25 miles deep into South Jersey?!
it would be better than the lack of service we get from NJ Transit.

As for the line that is actually going to be built in NJ, I wish it it went to Millville, but they're deciding to be cheap and not go as far as they ought to.
  by Bill R.

Support pledged for S. Jersey light-rail line
The Inquirer wrote:The Christie administration supports a proposed light-rail line between Camden and Glassboro, though it may not honor a $500 million funding promise made by former Gov. Jon S. Corzine.

The pledge from the Transportation Trust Fund was "Corzine's commitment, not ours," James Simpson, New Jersey transportation commissioner, said Tuesday. The Christie administration can't say yet how much it may provide for the $1.6 billion, 18-mile rail line, he said.
Anybody care to guess how much money they will eventually contribute? My vote is that they will put in their two cents ... and nothing more :wink: .
  by south jersey trains

Now why is it a surprise? The 2 ways it will get funded is if the federal govt. sends money and or Senator Sweeny bargains with Gov Christi on the budget,we get the rail project and he gets the 2 1/2 budget cap and destruction of the state/county workers pension system.Also in the Atlantic City press monday or tuesday in the region section,there is an article about riping out most of he track in Cumberland county for bike trails,instead of repairing them for service they want to further destroy our railroad system thats left.
  by Wdobner

Bill R. wrote:Support pledged for S. Jersey light-rail line
The Inquirer wrote:The Christie administration supports a proposed light-rail line between Camden and Glassboro, though it may not honor a $500 million funding promise made by former Gov. Jon S. Corzine.

The pledge from the Transportation Trust Fund was "Corzine's commitment, not ours," James Simpson, New Jersey transportation commissioner, said Tuesday. The Christie administration can't say yet how much it may provide for the $1.6 billion, 18-mile rail line, he said.
Anybody care to guess how much money they will eventually contribute? My vote is that they will put in their two cents ... and nothing more :wink: .
Far be it from me to toot my own horn, but I liked the Courier Post's article a bit more, if only because they got at least a third of my statement in there. Using a Stadler GTW 2/6 which accelerates at 2mph/s leaves a lot to be desired relative to the 3mph/s which light rail and PATCO trains accelerate at. Going to an electric 3mph/s train would save roughly 3-4 minutes on each run, and between 6 and 8 minutes per round trip. That means it is possible an electrified Glassboro line, with all other factors (top speed, station dwell time, and so on) being held constant, would require one less trainset to maintain the 7:30 minute peak headway. Thus while we may spend 200 million dollars on electrification, we'll spend less on the cars now, and then spend less maintaining them for every year after that.

If we're going to apply for federal funding then this project is going to have to survive on its technical merits, regardless of the rule changes at the FTA. The number of riders per dollar invested will still count for something. This is a rare instance where relatively affordable investments can greatly increase the ridership to significantly increase the number of riders per dollar. We were told nearly 30,000 riders would utilize Alternative 3, so clearly there is room for ridership to grow relative the Alt 4 projections. If we electrify the line, raise the platforms to 48 inches, and tie this line in to PATCO we can tap into that ridership market and yet not face the prospect of a multibillion dollar investment like Alt 3 proposed. I do not see how an electric LRT running at grade level is somehow any less acceptable than a diesel LRT running on the same route at the same speed on the same headway, so clearly grade separation is not required. Indeed if train lengths approach the standard PATCO 400 foot length, then we can reduce headways to 8 minutes or more, still have a much greater capacity than the proposed GTW 2/6 alternative, and yet have less time during which the grade crossing signals are down all while only slightly inconveniencing the riders. We can potentially increase the ridership factor by more than 50%, while increasing the capital cost by less than 20%. In the FTA's analysis that has to account for something.

I really fear the exact opposite of the poor uninformed Ms. Rhodes. The Riverline has extremely limited room for ridership growth because its utility was underestimated before construction was undertaken. We're on the way to making the same mistake with the Glassboro line. From what the representatives at the meeting told me the new line will likely use the same undersized 102 foot GTW 2/6 cars the Riverline uses. I specifically asked if they'd considered the 134 foot GTW 2/6s Austin, Texas, and the rest of the world uses, but was told they were going for complete compatibility by two representatives. If this is the case then at 7.5 minute headways that is just 1600 passengers per hour per direction. While I like the idea of having two anchors to the line I do not for a second believe the ridership against the peak direction and during off peak hours will be more than half the total ridership of the system. This means 9000 people will use the line in the peak direction during the combined 6 peak hours per day, and that means about 1500 people per hour averaged over the length of rush hour, with short time peaks likely above 2000 people per hour. That is just about the maximum capacity of the pygmy Stadlers NJT runs on the Riverline using a 7.5 minute schedule, so if the ridership is even slightly above the projections it will quickly become uncomfortable for commuters.

And we can't exactly add new trains to the line since it will share the Walter Rand Transportation Center with the Riverline. With the extended dwell times the Riverline currently has it may as well be relaying there, so we'll effectively go from 4 trains per hour relaying to 12 trains per hour relaying. I'd be willing to bet that with the current schedules they'd be hard pressed to squeeze more than 15tph through WRTC with the Glassboro line relaying and the Riverline making up time at that point. The only solution to the Glassboro line's capacity being overshot will be an extremely costly rebuild program to lengthen platforms and purchase additional cars, which will also increase operational costs. I'd rather see us get it right the first time rather than botch it and go back to fix it once it's already on its way to becoming a white elephant.

The powers that be finally moved on from the nearly useless alignments along Rt42 and Rt55, but IMHO there is still some work to be done before we get the right mode selected. Giving the Glassboro line direct access to Center City Philadelphia for a very minor investment in electrification and platforms is the sort of thing we can easily do to make it more acceptable to the FTA. Bombardier can still be involved in a DBOM if they can get the DRPA and particularly Teamsters Local 676 to agree to an operating plan into the Locust St Subway. Indeed I would argue Bombardier's experience with using their Flexity LRT as the basis of the Rotterdam Metro's 5400 and Ranstead Rail's 5500 series metro trains is exactly the sort of model we should be pursuing for the Glassboro line, although the combination of overhead wire and third rail is simple enough any manufacturer can design a railcar for it. I think we're very close to a workable solution that will both look good to the FTA and ultimately serve the needs of Gloucester and Camden Counties very well for the coming decades.

And BillR, are you the creator of PATCOLightrail.com? If not, would you or anyone else here happen to know if it remains an active website?
Gardendance wrote: I assume satellite09 is talking about the proposed PATCO expansions in Philly, Delaware Ave and Market St, not the Woodbury-Glassboro-Vineland-Millville proposal.

People, please be a bit clearer what you're referring to, otherwise it'll confuse people, even those who are from around here. satellite09, if you did actually mean the South Jersey Patco proposal, and not the Philly Patco proposal, my apologies, but if so why do you think SEPTA operating Philly transit should apply to a line in Jersey?
I doubt I'm alone in wishing we'd set up two different threads back when it became apparent the DRPA was undertaking two entirely separate projects in different states. It'd be a lot less confusing to have one thread for the Glassboro-Camden line and another for the proposed Waterfront trolley. But I guess they're now irrevocably intertwined on this forum.
  by WaitinginSJ

south jersey trains wrote:Now why is it a surprise? The 2 ways it will get funded is if the federal govt. sends money and or Senator Sweeny bargains with Gov Christi on the budget,we get the rail project and he gets the 2 1/2 budget cap and destruction of the state/county workers pension system.Also in the Atlantic City press monday or tuesday in the region section,there is an article about riping out most of he track in Cumberland county for bike trails,instead of repairing them for service they want to further destroy our railroad system thats left.
^ I saw that article. And I support converting it into a trail only in the areas that go past Bridgeton (specifically the only CNJ line between there and Sea Breeze). They other ones, I think are still valuable for both freight and transportation, but I don't really see the need beyond Bridgeton, because it is far too few people very spread out after that point.

here's the article. Personally, I'm against the stretch of track that they show in the picture being converted, because it is still a vital rail link for future transportation needs.
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news ... 002e0.html

Anyone go to the meetings that they just had? I would have, but I had my finals (took my last one today) and couldn't come down until this evening.

also, I like what the last poster said, and completely agree that they are underestimating this line.

edit:

One more thing, I'm really, REALLY, ticked off at where the terminals for this line are, they are just short of where they should be. It need to continue onward into Philly, and south to Millville. The way they have it set up is as if only people going from Rowan campus to Rowan campus will use it. People who live south of Rowen would use this to commute there and people on all parts would use it to get to Philly. I mean really, ignore the main job center of the region as well as a nearby population center with about 80,000 people (that is the combined population of Vineland and Millville)? Also, if they want this line to compete with driving, they darn well better make it fast as or faster than driving into Philly, and advertise that it's cheaper than the combine price of tolls and parking as well as gas. I'm ready to march right into the DRPA and give them a piece of my mind, only I don't know where to go. If I find out, I gladly will, on a regular basis, go in and pester these people.

Did I mention I'm really ticked off about this?
  by yeagcl

I have been to all the open houses so far, and I have been pleasantly surprised by the lack of opposition. It seems like all who speak negatively of the project (including myself), are only disappointed by its shortcomings. I spoke in favor of the train at the last meeting, but not getting a high speed direct trip to Philly will be a deterrent to many potential riders.

The Christie administration's support for the project is good news, even though they will most certainly not contribute the full 500 million that Corzine promised. I think any contribution from the DOT will still move the project forward. By the time the first shovel hits the dirt, we may have a new Gov anyway
  by Suburban Station

I'm also disappointed that it will not go INTO Philly and I think a lot of people are frustrated that toll money isn't being used to aid travel across the delaware rather than economic development projects on either side of the delaware. both projects shoudl be rolled into one, with a direct to Philly PATCO route and an extension of the existing line at least to the hospital complex (this tunnel could then be shared with the BR Spur which would be reconnected).
  by south jersey trains

I like to see the line extended from Glassboro to Millville with a line in Newfield to connect with the line in Richland to give Gloucester county residents a way to get to the south NJ shore by rail.Also Waiting in SJ i dont want to see 1 inch of rail taken up!
  by Bill R.

Wdobner wrote:And Bill R., are you the creator of PATCOLightrail.com? If not, would you or anyone else here happen to know if it remains an active website?
Yes I am, and it is still active. If you have problems accessing the site, let me know.
WaitinginSJ wrote:Anyone go to the meetings that they just had?
Yes, The Glassboro evening session. I provided testimony directly related to the scoping process, rather than rhetorical overload, and was one of the few people not quoted by the Gloucester County Times as a result. Keep in mind that a Draft Enviromental Impact Statement public hearing is designed to solicit comments on the various impacts (or lack of same) that are created by construction and operation of the proposed transit system. The audience role is to provide testimony, not ask questions and get answers.

There were a (very) few NIMBY speakers, but the vast majority supported rail service, including a number of representatives of public officials. Nothing like the shoutfests and even physical contact that occured at the August 1996 meeting in Woodbury at the Court House.

Nothing much has changed with respect to the project, though they are seriously considering Ferry Avenue as an alternative location for the South Camden station. Glassboro would like DRPA to consider moving the final station south from the PRSL station site to RT 553, presumably because they don't want a Park & Ride station which would increase traffic along Ellis Mill Road (interchange with Route 55).

People speaking prior to me made the one seat ride argument well enough that I decided to focus on the negative impact for inter-state off peak discretionary travel. I stated that I felt DRPA had abandoned the inter-state off peak discretionary travel market, and pointed out the number of transfers required to get to off peak destinations (i.e. Sports complex - 2, Manayunk - 3) because there are very few places that PATCO takes you to directly. I also spoke about the need to integrate a DLRT line with RiverLine operations (Ed Kasuba did not look happy then), and about specific station locations.