• Private equipment collection at Colonie and Glenmont

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SRS402

Well I found this in the DRM newsletter

"There are lots of things happening, even though some are behind the scenes. I will just quickly report to you that progress is slowly being made on the electric engines up in Albany. Although this has been very slow moving, I am still trying to remain optimistic that this will happen in the near future. Basically, there are regulations that must be met by R.J. Corman and the power company that have taken a lot of time. I am hoping that we can make this move while the ground is still frozen at the job site. It is very frustrating waiting for this to come to fruition. I still feel these electrics will be a big asset to our collection once they arrive."

http://www.danbury.org/drm/Newsletter/D ... ch2010.pdf
  by Alcoman

The above post is about the equipment in Glenmont, Not Colonie. There is visible change with the equipment in Colonie.
  by Lehighton_Man

The LIRR FA-m was moved... do you know of the status concearning the 2 RS3s at Colonie by chance Alcoman? I'm interested to see if those units will go to preservation, or even service by means of the D-L.
  by Otto Vondrak

SRS402 wrote:Well I found this in the DRM newsletter:

" I still feel these electrics will be a big asset to our collection once they arrive."
Danbury? Really?
  by Mr.S

When I last looked there was a LI RR FA in the Buffalo ,NY area, I think this is or was owned by the WNYRHS and was stored at the old Bethlehem Steel formerly the Lackawanna Steel site in Lackawanna,NY. I this going to be or was it already scrapped?
  by lvrr325

Shouldn't that be in it's own thread? Colonie is near Albany, WNY/Buffalo is the other side of the state.
  by scottychaos

Mr.S wrote:When I last looked there was a LI RR FA in the Buffalo ,NY area, I think this is or was owned by the WNYRHS and was stored at the old Bethlehem Steel formerly the Lackawanna Steel site in Lackawanna,NY. I this going to be or was it already scrapped?
still there..
no one ever suggested it might be scrapped..

Scot
  by Alcoman

Lehighton_Man wrote:The LIRR FA-m was moved... do you know of the status concearning the 2 RS3s at Colonie by chance Alcoman? I'm interested to see if those units will go to preservation, or even service by means of the D-L.
RE: the equipment in Colonie....The FA-2 moved a long time ago. The 2 Albany Port Alcos are still there. No one is sure who owns this equipment.
The B&M ALCO RS-3 is still there. Just checked on all this Saturday. March 27th.
  by Benjamin Maggi

Taken 5 years ago:
  by persona non grata

Any updates on the brush cleaning?

I'm a fellow railfan from really far upstate (2,100 miles NW) and will be visiting Albany in six weeks. I'd like to photograph the Glenmont deadline, legally without trespassing, however if this is the best I can do:
http://nerrphoto.fotopic.net/p36906816.html
it's probably not worth visiting.

Re: Colonie, really enjoyed reading this whole thread. On the D&H yahoo group it's been said that it's not railfan friendly due to the arsenal next door, here however it turns out Tony Soprano is executing people in the D&H car. Better stay away either way right?

Lastly, it was mentioned that, if moved, the electrics would be going to Syracuse. Am I right to assume the fairgrounds? There doesn't appear to be any other RR display location in town aside from Armoury Square, which is being used to store On Track equipment I believe. I'd like to visit both locations when I'm in NY state.
  by Benjamin Maggi

Both sets of equipment you mentioned are on private property and hard to photograph. The colonie equipment can across from the active CP/D&H tracks with a good camera but brush, trees, and an overpass may make for less then steller pictures. The equipment itself doesn't add anything!

As for the Glenmont engines, don't even try it. I don't remember where they are but they are "buried" deep in private property. If you want to photograph them you better get permission in advance, in writing. I don't even know where to begin for that, but earlier pages of this thread may have the details.
  by lvrr325

Last rumors I heard from anyone in a position to really know anything said CNY NRHS, location to be determined. Who knows, if the cat got out of the bag the board could have vetoed it.
  by Otto Vondrak

lvrr325 wrote:Last rumors I heard from anyone in a position to really know anything said CNY NRHS, location to be determined. Who knows, if the cat got out of the bag the board could have vetoed it.
Last I heard, the deal to move anything to Syracuse ended and is now off the table... New investors are now involved to move some of the stuff to another location. Here's the issue: the power plant at Glenmont is not making it easy for cranes and riggers to do their work in order to move the stuff. So the stuff sits until everyone can come to an agreement on how exactly the stuff will be extracted.

-otto-