• SEPTA "LOST"--The south concourse episode

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by dcipjr

I'd pay a few bucks, that's for sure, especially if it included closed subway stations like Spring Garden (on the BRS) and Franklin Square. Those have always fascinated me for some reason.

Re:

by dcipjr

Springfield Tripper wrote:biloby:

.next.. idont recall the el ride.. but i remember being at what i believe to be the fifteenth street platform and looking down a stairwell that turned left imediately at the bottom.. we took 3 or 4 steps and momabear got a little spooked and said "i dont think this is the subway" ..verry dark and a amber/yellowish light at the bottom and very dirty
Dad-BURN! I have wondered FOREVER about the area you mentioned. As an adolescent, I had once made it halfway down those stairs and chickened out, more concerned about an encounter with Rizzo's Raiders than deranged homeless.

The following is A THEORY, nothing more: that that lower platform area may have been the 1907 trolley stub-end terminal which Cox wrote as predating the arrival of Third-Rail-type El trains, basically, the "Temporary " terminal.

Informed comments highly encouraged, thanx all.

Garry
'right, Springfield!
And while we're at it, let's check this out too!
  by octr202

ksheinle wrote:How much would you pay to go on a "Lost Concourses, Catacombs and Tunnels Of Philly" Tour? - KSH
If I could swing the time for the trip, I'd try to come down from Boston for a "transit archeology" tour. Unfortunately, doesn't seem like much chance of something like that happening up here any time soon.
  by scotty269

ksheinle wrote:How much would you pay to go on a "Lost Concourses, Catacombs and Tunnels Of Philly" Tour? - KSH
Depends on how long the tour was, and how much it covered.
  by alewifebp

I'd make a trip down for such a tour, but it all depends on how exclusive it was. Metro North did a wonderful fan trip celebrating electrification. It gave us exclusive access to see places that normal people can not see. It was great, and I think something like that can get some interest from the railfan and other communities.
  by Clearfield

So if SEPTA floated a "LOST SEPTA" trip along with a cost around $20 and listed where it would go, how many people (besides me) would sign up?
  by scotty269

Clearfield wrote:So if SEPTA floated a "LOST SEPTA" trip along with a cost around $20 and listed where it would go, how many people (besides me) would sign up?
Sure
  by alewifebp

Clearfield wrote:So if SEPTA floated a "LOST SEPTA" trip along with a cost around $20 and listed where it would go, how many people (besides me) would sign up?
All depending on where it went, and for me, since I'm coming from NNJ, what time, but $20 is reasonable for such an excursion.
  by nomis

Sure
  by Red Arrow Fan

I would.
  by JeffK

I'd go.
  by PublicService

I probably would.
Too bad it will probably never happen.
Some combination of liability concerns and both SEPTA and the city have other things they really should be doing.

On the other hand maybe this is just what they need to solve their budget problems. a couple of excursions an few "secret tunnels and unknown corners" tours and the associated tee shirts and coffee mug and before you know it SEPTA and the city are awash in cash. :wink:
  by Franklin Gowen

PublicService wrote: On the other hand maybe this is just what they need to solve their budget problems. a couple of excursions an few "secret tunnels and unknown corners" tours and the associated tee shirts and coffee mug and before you know it SEPTA and the city are awash in cash. :wink:
I'm sure that you're partly in jest, but your post contains the seed of an interesting idea. If I was offered a "behind-the-scenes" tour of several operating parts of SEPTA, I'd be very interested. Please note that I'm talking about seeing what's collectively the mind and the heart of the system...sites on the Railroad, City Transit, and Suburban Transit divisions that normally are employee-only.

For example:

Regional Rail Operations Control - how trains are dispatched
The "power desk" for the RRD's electric traction system - how trains are propelled
SEPTA HQ - how train schedules are created and discussing what criteria are used
Overbrook Shop - how trains are maintained
Elmwood Depot - routine maintenance of trolleys
Woodland Heavy Repair - how trolleys are overhauled or major repairs are performed
72nd St. Shop - the folks & the tools that keeps the P&W running
Fern Rock shop & yard - core of the Broad Street Line
Erie upper level on the BSL - where do they hide those trains?
Pattison lower level - never seen it!
Wayne Electric Car Shop - how trains are maintained
Do WAYNE and WIND towers still have anything interesting in them for RRD ops?
etc., etc., etc.!

That's just off of the top of my head: ideas for several tours, at least. Some of these are topical and should be combined onto the same tour. I would definitely expect to pay for such, agree to wear specified footwear & obey safety guidelines, and would likewise expect to photograph as I pleased. Some combination of this in conjunction with PublicService's "secret tunnels and unknown corners" idea could become something truly great and memorable.

If the SEPTA "Lost" tour becomes a reality, that could serve as a dress rehearsal for the other ideas that I am proposing here. I certainly don't expect to metaphorically run before we learn how to walk, though. :wink: But if the original tour idea that we're discussing does take off and is a successful venture, I think that taking it to the next level of interest & attraction is well worth discussing.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Franklin Gowen wrote:If I was offered a "behind-the-scenes" tour of several operating parts of SEPTA, I'd be very interested. Please note that I'm talking about seeing what's collectively the mind and the heart of the system...sites on the Railroad, City Transit, and Suburban Transit divisions that normally are employee-only.
For example: Regional Rail Operations Control - how trains are dispatched
A Control Center tour (thank you, SEPTA!) is being offered as part of the NARP tri-state meeting coming up April 10.

More information and a registration form (space is limited!) can be downloaded from http://www.dvarp.org.