• List of SEPTA-related films and TV programs

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Trackseventeen

gardendance wrote:I thought he was supposed to live in South Philly. I think I remember he said he welcomed a match at the Spectrum because he could walk there.
I also remember the El shots were around Kensington and Erie, do you call that the Kensington El?

You can't get to heaven on the Frankfor El cause the Frankford El goes straight to Frankford.
The quote you are thinking of was in ROCKY2.... after he bought his new house with Adrian with his winnings from the first fight. the new house was in South Philly. In the first movie, he must live somewhere close to either Front Street or Kensington Ave. Speaking of such, is the gym he attends on Front? Also the pet store Adrian worked at was across the street. None the less, the el was a major character in the movie... I suppose it was give Philly a more NY feel. It seems that the directors went out of thier way to have the el in alot of shots... (Im not complaining)

What is funny is this.... In Rocky2 in the beginning of the film we are treated to Rocky's ambulance transporting him from the Spectrum to Pennsylvania Hospital. Its quite humorous. First the ambulance is seen crossing the Girard Point Bridge(totally inacurate, since the Spectrum is on the penisula). Then the ambulance is seen going around City Hall twice. Then the ambulance is seen going up Broad street. I know this was just to give the city some exposure... But it is funny to trace the route of the ambulance.... Some pretty good shots of the old Gold and Silver fishbowl busses.
  by Patrick Boylan

Al Franken, baggage and gorilla porter in Trading Places is now senator elect, his opponent conceded.
Despite the fact that I have Trading Places on DVD I still haven't reviewed if 30th St is upper or lower level. I owe you guys.

I imagined that the Rocky ambulance was first trying to get him to Chester Crozier Burn Center.
When they realized he didn't have any burns they then tried for Pennsylvania Hospital.
Once around City Hall they got redirected to Hahneman Hospital because of traffic congestion, but during the 6 or so blocks from City Hall to Hahneman there was a 10 car pileup at Broad and Vine, remember this was before the I-676 extension, so all expressway traffic dumped there. This big accident made gridlock impossible to get through, and the injuries incredibly taxed Hahneman's emergency room, so they went back to plan B and headed to Pennsylvania Hospital.
  by dcipjr

gardendance wrote:Al Franken, baggage and gorilla porter in Trading Places is now senator elect, his opponent conceded.
Despite the fact that I have Trading Places on DVD I still haven't reviewed if 30th St is upper or lower level. I owe you guys.
Hard to tell...it's dark, I've only been on the lower level once, and I don't know what the upper level looked like in '83. But here's a framegrab from the part that (I think) shows it most clearly.
  by BuddSilverliner269

This isnt 30th street station and is Newark Penn. An easy way to tell is 30th street station upper level has full width ties. Lower level 30th street has half ties and embedded in concrete but 30th street doesnt have a ceiling like the above shot, meaning that its Newark. Also in the above picture, you can see the fencing seperating the RR from the Path platforms.
  by Patrick Boylan

Budd,
your eyes certainly see things my presbiopia doesn't allow me to see. And I've gotta stop sending off these messages either at 1 or 2 am or at work, and actually look at that DVD again.
I do wonder why they would have wanted to shoot in Newark when most of the filming was in Philly, although the end of the movie was New York, which is still not Newark.
  by SEPTAR3kid

This is a bit old, but there was a program on the Smithsonian Channel about Duffy's cut which is along the R5 near Malvern. It features many shots of septa and amtrak passing the sight where a worksite of irishmen died while building a cut through the land for the railroad. It was on demand if you had fios but I'm not sure if it is still on.

http://www.duffyscutproject.com/
  by Mike@IHP

One episode of 'Flight of the Conchords' has, during one of the songs performed by Bret, a background shot of a SEPTA Silverliner IV (in the current MARC-like paint scheme). Don't know why, it seems a random collection of film snips unrelated to the song. Can't remember the name of the episode offhand, but it's from the second-season.

Mike Bartel
  by Launcher

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQYMKckNu68#t=2m43s

Boy Meets World - "Train of Fools" took place on the subway... it looks more like the MFL. Watch the youtube link above, and notice there's an ad for new fareboxes and 13 different locations, or something along those lines? Also the illiterate, inaudible PA announcer is spoofed, which I'm putting in another thread, since it's 2010 and SEPTA still has that problem.

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I was thinking of this today, so I tried preparing this (imcomplete) list of films with SEPTA footage:

Rocky-M3s
Trading Places-M3s, fishbowl buses, 1981 Kawasaki LRVs (on #11 or 36?), 30 Street station
Witness-30 Street station
Unbreakable-30 Street station
Daddy Who? (aka Kimberly)
The Happening-Regional Rail, Comet IIs

I'm not so sure about TV programs and commericals, though.
  by motor

It looks like all the movies and shows mentioned on this thread (unless I missed any) date from the SEPTA/PATCO era.

I guess the following categories don't qualify for this thread:

movies/TV shows/spots related to
PTC/Red Arrow
PRR/PC/RDG-era commuter rail
the Bridge Line (pre-PATCO) era
etc. etc.

motor
  by Red Arrow Fan

SEPTA's predecessor PTC had its busses featured in several episodes of the 'American Dreams' TV show. (set in West Philly)
  by R36 Combine Coach

Launcher wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQYMKckNu68#t=2m43s

Boy Meets World - "Train of Fools" took place on the subway... it looks more like the MFL. Watch the youtube link above, and notice there's an ad for new fareboxes and 13 different locations, or something along those lines? Also the illiterate, inaudible PA announcer is spoofed, which I'm putting in another thread, since it's 2010 and SEPTA still has that problem.
I saw this episode when it was new (1995 or so) and knew it was a cheap mock-up.
  by add2718

Mike@IHP wrote:One episode of 'Flight of the Conchords' has, during one of the songs performed by Bret, a background shot of a SEPTA Silverliner IV (in the current MARC-like paint scheme). Don't know why, it seems a random collection of film snips unrelated to the song. Can't remember the name of the episode offhand, but it's from the second-season.

Mike Bartel
Good call, I remember this too, it's from the second episode where Bret is singing some horrible Korean Karaoke song. Here's a link to a video of it, the SIlverliner appears at 1:41. If anyone can tell which station that is, I give them props!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shP1IRGigbo&hl=en&fs=1
  by dcipjr

Here's a YouTube trick for you guys: if you add #t=1m41s to the end of a YouTube link, you can get it to jump right to the specific time (#time = 1 minute 41 seconds in this case). Or whatever other time index you want. It comes in handy sometimes!

Using this method, here's the direct link to the Silverliner IV in Flight of the Conchords:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shP1IRGi ... =1#t=1m41s
  by BuddSilverliner269

I had to watch the clip a few times and relized that the Flight of the Conchords Septa shot is on the R5 Paoli line at Daylesford Station on the inbound side with Rt30 in the background. I certainly hope Im still qualified on the line even though I havent stepped foot on the line in 2 years :wink:
  by rslitman

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:on the R5 Paoli line
Why am I not surprised?