• List of SEPTA-related films and TV programs

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by BuddCar711

To answer BuddSilverliner269's question, that movie was Maximum Risk. It starred Jean-Claude VanDamme and it was about his character's twin getting killed. Also, that same Hyundai commercial featured a Silverliner IV.
  by BuddCar711

While not a movie or TV show, the music video Back Where You Belong by the southern rock band 38 Special features a scene at The Walnut-Locust station on The Broad Street Subway with the then newly delivered B-IV Kawasaki cars.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Im a big fan of Hitchcock movies so I decided to watch a film I have never seen before. Its called Marnie and I damn near fell over when I saw what I saw at 4:17 in the clip I posted. I could only find the Hungarian version on youtube. A friend lent me the movie on DVD. I dont think this has been mentioned before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyVAl8hbb5w
  by rbreslow

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Im a big fan of Hitchcock movies so I decided to watch a film I have never seen before. Its called Marnie and I damn near fell over when I saw what I saw at 4:17 in the clip I posted. I could only find the Hungarian version on youtube. A friend lent me the movie on DVD. I dont think this has been mentioned before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyVAl8hbb5w
Wow
  by R36 Combine Coach

As I said before, Rocky movies are required viewing for Philly railfans. Check out these clips from Rocky II. From 1:19-1:24 he is running on a (desolate) freight line with M3s on the Frankford El running above. Anyone knew the location?

And just before 1:15-1:19 he runs past a Conrail switcher (8719, freshly painted, Rocky II was shot in late '78) and a CNW covered hopper, even waving to the engineer. Stallone (who wrote and directed) must be a railfan.
  by MACTRAXX

R36 Combine Coach wrote:As I said before, Rocky movies are required viewing for Philly railfans. Check out these clips from Rocky II. From 1:19-1:24 he is running on a (desolate) freight line with M3s on the Frankford El running above. Anyone knew the location?

And just before 1:15-1:19 he runs past a Conrail switcher (8719, freshly painted, Rocky II was shot in late '78) and a CNW covered hopper, even waving to the engineer. Stallone (who wrote and directed) must be a railfan.
R36: That is Port Richmond which was a former RDG yard in the Lower Northeast...
That MFSE bridge shown over that yard area was rebuilt and is still in use...

MACTRAXX
  by Patrick Boylan

add2718 wrote:
Mike@IHP wrote:One episode of 'Flight of the Conchords' has, during one of the songs performed by Bret, a background shot of a SEPTA Silverliner IV (in the current MARC-like paint scheme). Don't know why, it seems a random collection of film snips unrelated to the song. Can't remember the name of the episode offhand, but it's from the second-season.

Mike Bartel
Good call, I remember this too, it's from the second episode where Bret is singing some horrible Korean Karaoke song. Here's a link to a video of it, the SIlverliner appears at 1:41. If anyone can tell which station that is, I give them props!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shP1IRGigbo&hl=en&fs=1
Do I get anything if I tell you the episode name is 'Prime Minister'?
I just saw it on DVD and immediately wanted to make an original post in this thread. RR.net's search capability is at lunch, it finds no matches for 'conchord'. My googly friend however not only found the youtube video, but also found the above quoted posts.
Immediately after Bret sang the song, the scene switched to Bret, Murray, Greg and Brian, New Zealand prime minister, in a cheezy set meant to look like a railroad car's interior, riding back to New York from a failed try to meet the US president.
  by R36 Combine Coach

ex Budd man wrote:
JeffK wrote:OK, I'll start. Does anyone remember a commercial about 20 or so years ago that used #80 (ex-Red Arrow Brill MU) when it ran on Delaware Avenue? The ad agency coated it with some kind of bright blue skin and it was shown running in the background, looking a bit like something out of Dr. Seuss ... or maybe today, Avatar.. I rode it a couple of years after the commercial was filmed and you could still see tiny bits of the blue whatever-it-was coating stuck in some of the less obvious places of the carbody.
The commercial was for Hyundai........how ironic since they're building the SL-V cars. :wink:
Is this it? Apparently a 1985 Excel commercial. Silverliner IVs (a 3-car train) are featured in this commercial. It seems quite odd now (for obvious reasons) to have the Silverliners in a Hyundai ad running side-by-side with the featured car.
  by Launcher

On BROAD CITY tonight!

First five minutes show Abbi and Ilana took the amtrak (is there a similar thread on Amtrak forum?) from Penn Sta to 30th St and then switched to the R5 (may it be forever so called) to WAYNE to see Abbi's dad.

In true SEPTA fashion, the train they were to board had the wrong destination sign (Elwyn). But the show takes numerous other geographical liberties/errors...

Of course, if it were my journey, I'd disembark at Paoli and skip the transfer. But this would not make for as good of TV.

Catch it on demand if you can...
  by MACTRAXX

Launcher wrote:On BROAD CITY tonight
R5 (may it be forever so called) to WAYNE
Launcher: I beg to strongly differ. "Change at 30th Street for the PAOLI LOCAL" (remembering the PRR) sounds
so much better to me :wink:

I would like to see this Broad City episode myself to offer an opinion - If you can find it on Youtube or elsewhere
posted add the link to this topic...

MACTRAXX
  by zebrasepta

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ex Budd man wrote:
JeffK wrote:OK, I'll start. Does anyone remember a commercial about 20 or so years ago that used #80 (ex-Red Arrow Brill MU) when it ran on Delaware Avenue? The ad agency coated it with some kind of bright blue skin and it was shown running in the background, looking a bit like something out of Dr. Seuss ... or maybe today, Avatar.. I rode it a couple of years after the commercial was filmed and you could still see tiny bits of the blue whatever-it-was coating stuck in some of the less obvious places of the carbody.
The commercial was for Hyundai........how ironic since they're building the SL-V cars. :wink:
Is this it? Apparently a 1985 Excel commercial. Silverliner IVs (a 3-car train) are featured in this commercial. It seems quite odd now (for obvious reasons) to have the Silverliners in a Hyundai ad running side-by-side with the featured car.
It's sort of funny how 24 years later a division of Hyundai called Hyundai Rotem made the Silverliner V's for SEPTA
  by ferroequinologist

Launcher wrote:On BROAD CITY tonight!

First five minutes show Abbi and Ilana took the amtrak (is there a similar thread on Amtrak forum?) from Penn Sta to 30th St and then switched to the R5 (may it be forever so called) to WAYNE to see Abbi's dad.

In true SEPTA fashion, the train they were to board had the wrong destination sign (Elwyn). But the show takes numerous other geographical liberties/errors...

Of course, if it were my journey, I'd disembark at Paoli and skip the transfer. But this would not make for as good of TV.

Catch it on demand if you can...
FWIW when I make that same trip, I find it's much easier to take SEPTA to the suburbs instead of Amtrak all the way, 9/10 times. With the R5 having good service frequency even at off-peak times, there being way more NEC trains that aren't Keystones than trains that are, and a long dwell time at 30th St if you do catch a Keystone, it's usually easier to just switch to SEPTA for the last leg instead of limiting your schedule for a faster but less convenient trip.

Besides the train to Wayne having a destination of Elwyn, I'm also pretty sure the station they called Wayne wasn't actually Wayne, though I couldn't identify what station it is.