• Amtrak Capitol Limited Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Jersey_Mike

Less than 12 hours before departure. Let me know if anyone wants to know anything as we go.
You are aware that the Capitol Limited is not the trans-Siberian express or any other sort of far out adventure. It's not going to take you to the remote corners of the continent (although it does go through Mexico. You just get on it and it takes you where you want to go with a better travel experience than a bus or plane. Hell, the ones who are flying should be asking about what they need to prepare for rather than Amtrak passengers. :-) :wink:
  by pablo

I had very little cell service as we went through the wilds of West VIrginia et al.

I did have a question about scheduling and crew things. We recrewed in Cumberland, about an hour and a half away from Union Station. I am sure it's an hours of service thing, but it's also something that looking at the schedule, would likely have to happen anyway.

Are there other examples in the network where the schedule is just a bit off necessitating a recrew? I found that a bit odd. Thoughts?

Dave Becker
  by taoyue

The stranded Capitol Limited made it into an article in the New York Times through cellphone interviews. A refreshingly-factual article, without sensationalizing. Some choice quotes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/us/07train.html
A Wicked Storm, and a Train Trip Interrupted
By LIZ ROBBINS
Published: February 6, 2010
  • "This is outrageous," Sheribel Rothenberg, 65, from Chicago, said on a fellow passenger’s cell phone from the stranded train Saturday afternoon. "Nobody can do anything about the weather, but be truthful, keep us informed."
  • And train No. 29 was not the only one stranded, Mr. Cole said, but he did not have information on the others.
  • "I feel like I am camping," said Ms. Rothenberg. She and a fellow lawyer had been in Washington all week taking depositions. They were delighted that they were able to get a ticket at the last minute when Delta had canceled their flights Friday night.
Looks like Amtrak still hasn't learned that a two-minute speech can generate enormous customer goodwill. And it still lacks a good way to track information throughout its operations. Crisis-management hasn't improved at Amtrak since, well, the last crisis of this nature.

The lawyer part is interesting. Two high-powered lawyers taking a long-distance train back home when their flight was cancelled. Probably not coincidental that they're from Chicago, which has a decent rail network.
  by num1hendrickfan

With all respect these storms have been historic this year. The fact that the train was stranded at a station in Pennsylvania, means the railroad did care for the customers ( could have easily left that train stranded in the middle of nowhere ).
I'm sorry these people got stranded, but what did they really expect? Weather in that region consisted of heavy wet snow, in many cases adding up to 20-40 inches. It doesn't matter what mode of transportation you use when that happens, because they're all going to be affected.
  by taoyue

I thought it was quite clear from reading the article that the passengers (at least the ones that were interviewed) were being very reasonable.

The lack of communication is the real problem. Search the forum -- it happens every time. You can generate an enormous amount of goodwill by talking to people. Even if you don't have much news to report.
  by Noel Weaver

I think this train is stranded because of down trees and wires to the west and the coal train derailment to the east.
Not a very pleasant situation but what can you do.
This has happened at times in the past too, how about the time the City of San Francisco was stranded in the Mountains of
California back in maybe 1951?
The smartest people planning travel under these conditions should just stay put where they are until conditions improve
even if some transportation is operating.
Noel Weaver
  by oat324

I agree with hendrickfan. The Weather Channel was on this storm 4 days ago and are already on the one potentially next week, why isn't no one watching or reading a paper? This society is getting so bad and it's unfortunate with this "if it don't go my way, I will throw a fit" and "fast, fast, fast".LOL. I bet those bathrooms are clean, they are getting food, and it's probably warm on the train. Hotels are probably sold out with stranded drivers on the highways, so Amtrak is doing the best job they can do. I seen this with the Nebraska blizzard, the ice storm in Illinois, the floods in the Midwest, etc.... Management needs to put out a notice on what might happen on the trip during these weather related issues and let's hope the mad passengers aren't taking it out on the On Board personnel. I was on a train stuck behind a rock slide and the conductor got on the PA telling about some problems ahead and would get back when he got a update. We'll if their is no update from those working on the problem, then what are the conductors to do? He kept saying that their was no update and apologized, which only angered some of the impatient passengers. They started saying very ignorant things towards our coach attendant, which was uncalled for and yet, she still smiled.
  by Matt Johnson

I wouldn't mind being in that position if I had a sleeper compartment, but it would be a different story in coach!
  by gprimr1

What I've wondered is how much of the lack of updating is the fault of management and how much is the fault of train crews? I've been on trains were they had delays and no one said anything.

I would hope that the train crews at least report to the passengers what they can see.
  by justalurker66

I was stuck in coach an extra four hours westbound and two hours eastbound on the Capitol Limited in 2008. That was with a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. No derailments or line blockages that I knew of (perhaps another two examples of poor communications).

On 30 the biggest wait was just outside Union Station. We missed our slot and were clearly told that we were being held pending a platform assignment. On 29 it was a little more annoying as the conductors started getting us around to get off the train about half an hour out and then about 15 minutes later the train simply stopped. They apologized for the delay but by then we were already down the stairs and waiting (per their instruction) to exit. They wanted to make our exit stop quick. We were left standing (us, not the train) while it inched along the final few miles. That was probably 30-45 minutes on our feet (I've blocked most of it out).

I don't believe the train crew withheld information, but in the second case I don't believe they were well informed. If they knew we were an hour out of our stop they would not have had us stage for an exit. Either they didn't check with the engine crew or the engine crew didn't know. Better communications through the entire chain from freight dispatcher to engineer to passenger crew would have helped. Perhaps once again a freight road could have been the blame if the dispatcher wouldn't give an estimate as to how long it would take to get the train to the station.

Restroom cleanliness is a moving target on public transportation. The longer people are on a train the more they need to use the restroom. Especially if they have been fed (KFC!). It sounded like whomever took charge of this stranded 29 was doing fine on serving the passengers.
  by jp1822

Oh the Capitol Limited is stranded and the Silver Star, Silver Meteor and Auto Train are all stuck in Richmond "stuck" as there are tons of trees and wires down on the RF&P. Best that could happen is they at least try to keep beverages and food flowing to the trains stuck in Richmond. And with all the single level overnight long distance trains essentially canceled at least (minimum) through tomorrow, Sunday February 7th, it would prudent of Amtrak to try and add Amfleets and Viewliners to the Lake Shore Limited to try and get what will likely be a backlog of passengers from the Midwest to the East Coast. Pennsylvanian could be extended to Chicago temporarily with Viewliners and a Diner to Chicago in place of the Capitol Limited west of Pittsburgh. The Pennsylvanian, ironically, is still running as per last reports. I just don't see the mess between Washington DC and the Carolinas getting cleared up at least until Monday, if not Tuesday......then another storm is supposed to hit in some regions on the Northeast on Tuesday, February 9.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Noel Weaver wrote:This has happened at times in the past too, how about the time the City of San Francisco was stranded in the Mountains of California back in maybe 1951?
Here's more (1952 vice 1951):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG59X7bMDpA
  by talviar947

Lets see,
Capital Limited was stopped at Connellsville yesterday. Call received at 911 here was working to make arrangements to get the people off the train. However most roadways in and out of Connellsville had 1 1/2---2 FEET of SNOW on them. Points east (over the mountain) had between 2 Feet and 3+ Feet. The train wasn't the only thing stranded around here. This was a HEAVY WET DEEP snow that the snow plows and other snow removal equipment were/are having difficulty with.

Part of the issue was the train derailment near Glencoe substantially east of Connellsville. They parked at the best spot as access to the train once it leaves connellsville it is a long hike to get to the train. . . . .

Tony
(Working in the Fayette County, PA EOC currently . . . . )
  by Gilbert B Norman

It appears the train affected by the CSX derailment incident as well as of course the snow is 29(5).