• Amtrak Capitol Limited Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by FFolz

AMTKHawkeye wrote:On the contrary, Amtrak is pushing its Conductors/ACs (of which I am one) to indeed KEEP the riders informed. We are supposed to make announcements every 15 minutes, even if it's just to say, "We have received no new information since the last update." Of course, we are instructed to use tact (i.e., a fatality is an "Incident involving a trespasser"), but experience and history has shown time and again that while the bad news will frustrate riders, the vast majority are at least appreciative and understanding to be kept informed at all.
Pleased to hear this. My experience is in local transit, where management quality is ... variable. I do occasionally hear good things about Amtrak's management :D
  by FFolz

TomNelligan wrote:
AMTKHawkeye wrote:[On the contrary, Amtrak is pushing its Conductors/ACs (of which I am one) to indeed KEEP the riders informed. We are supposed to make announcements every 15 minutes, even if it's just to say, "We have received no new information since the last update."
I think that's absolutely the right idea from a customer service standpoint. I find it far less frustrating to be told, say, "we're going to be here for about an hour and then we should be moving along" and know what to expect than to simply be stopped in the middle of nowhere with no explanation. And while I know some passengers will always be idiots, I would hope that most folks don't blame the train crews for simply passing along info about circumstances outside their control.
What's really frustrating is when the train crew is being straight with you but the freight carrier is being less than candid. I know they THINK they have bigger problems than passenger trains, but I think they'd better pray in the long run that the public doesn't get too curious as to why they're held up. (Right now, most of the public only runs up against Class I dispatching on commuter rail, and in that case, treating the commuter rail as a giant nuisance has pretty much worked in their favor.)

The Class I's are fending off an assault in Congress from their CUSTOMERS now ... being a state-granted monopoly leaves them wide open. The political climate in the last few decades have been kind to them, but hey ... even ATT got broken up in the supposed era of "deregulation".
  by JimBoylan

neroden wrote:I figured that there would at least be some people on an electric railroad handling really high voltage distribution lines, who would therefore be qualified to handle smaller residential distribution lines dropping on the tracks, at least sufficiently to get them *off* the tracks.
Part of their qualification may be to know that they are not the ones who can ensure that the power in someone else's wire is off, and will stay off while the wire is being touched.
  by arrow

When I was last on the Capitol Limited a few years ago, there was a full sightseer lounge car as well as a regular full dining car. I've read many of the topics here and elsewhere on the internet regarding all kinds of changes Amtrak has made to their dining cars. I'm booked on the Capitol Limited from Washington to Chicago round trip in May. I'm trying to figure out what kind of dining I can expect? Will it be the regular menu in the regular cars (with the booths for 4). Or, is it this "Simplified DIning" I've been hearing about with a small menu, plastic silverware, and 1/2 lounge - 1/2 diner car.

Amtrak's website says that it has a "full service dining car" with "meals prepared onboard by trained chefs". Is this true? I hope so.

Thanks!
  by savoirfaire

In my most recent trip on the Capitol Limited, I had a CCC with the full menu on my outbound to Chicago, and a regular Superliner diner on the way back (obviously with a full diner). There was a sightseer lounge on both trains with the lower-level snack bar in operation.

Hope this helps!
  by arrow

Thanks, savorifaire. Did they have real silverware and plates or plastic? I told the people I'm traveling with how great the dining cars are and how fancy they make it (they've never been on a LD train). I hope that I was right about it.
  by peconicstation

As you might gather from the replies already, Amtrak's dining car service, in particular, it's east coast, dining car service has been all over the map.

The link below will take you to the sample menu page on Amtrak's website, and the Capitol Limited, SHOULD have a menu
similar to the "all other dining cars" sample.

As for using real dinnerware, and cutlery, what have others experienced recently ??

Ken

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 1267294103
  by savoirfaire

arrow wrote: Did they have real silverware and plates or plastic? I told the people I'm traveling with how great the dining cars are and how fancy they make it (they've never been on a LD train). I hope that I was right about it.
No, we were still with the plastic ware. The company in the dining car varies, but I have had some great conversations over dinner and breakfast! Fancy, I wouldn't go that far, but it is like your average restaurant experience. The most important thing of all, enjoy the ride!

-Sav
  by Greg Moore

arrow wrote:Thanks, savorifaire. Did they have real silverware and plates or plastic? I told the people I'm traveling with how great the dining cars are and how fancy they make it (they've never been on a LD train). I hope that I was right about it.
They will be using plasticware, but fairly heavy duty stuff, not the cheap stuff you're familiar with at the family picnic. The utensils will be fairly basic flatware, not made of silver so not technically silverware, but definitely metal.
  by arrow

Thanks, that's good to know. Last time I rode we had plastic dishes with the Amtrak logo but they didn't look disposable. I'll have to dig up a picture to post on here.

It's nice to sit down to dinner with a tablecloth and everything like they used to have.

Thanks all for your help.
  by arrow

Here's the plates I had last time for breakfast. I remember plastic utensils for lunch in the dining car. I did not have dinner. This was in September 2007.
amtrak.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by SwingMan

Alot has changed, and I think they are slowly faising in the Corell china to all trains with an Heritage/Superliner Dining cars*(*And Cross Country Cafes, both as full diner and combined car). The Coast Starlight, Empire Builder,Auto Train, and Pacific Parlor should also be using all the fancies, with most all other trains being faised in along the way.
Food should be getting better as time rolls along, the cafe menus has some good new items which seem better thn the past selections (although the old pizzas weren't the prettiest, I really enjoyed them).
So service is getting better, and as times go along we should see great food service again.
  by Greg Moore

I'll actually be dining on the Crescent Wednesday (tomorrow night) and will try to post a report then.

As for the quality of the food I think the low point was about 2-3 years ago. Last year was actually pretty good. And honestly one of the best steaks I've had was on Amtrak, but that was about 6 years ago before they started making some of their cuts.

I think the cafe cars (not the Cross-Country Cafes) on the regionals could use some improvement. I definitely wish more attendants would use the actual oven to heat things like the hot dog rolls. Makes a HUGE difference. It's the little things that help. (I still remember when you could get lettuce and tomato on the side to go with your sandwiches. That wasn't really advertised, but really improved them.)
  by dlagrua

If you are going in a sleeper you will enjoy a decent dinner. It is common to find Pasta, Grilled Steak, Chicken and Seafood on the menu. Breads, salads and dessert usually accompany the meal. I believe that Amtrak is using silverware, glasses and china plates at this time. At worst you'll eat off of a heavy plastic plate with Amtrak logo that looks just like a China plate (not a paperplate). Everything is served on a white tablecloth and the service is similar to a restaurant. Soda , Coffee, Tea, wine, beer and liquor is available (alcoholic beverages do cost a few bucks more). Breakfast is pretty much you would find anywhere, french toast, eggs, bacon,sausage, coffee and the like. The Amtrak website lists all the train menus.
We will be traveling on the Capitol Limited to Chicago in mid June but we are picking up the train along the way in Pittsburgh. We will begin our journey at 11:45 PM EST get to bed and be in Chicago at 8:45 AM CT. We have a 9hr :45 min trip, but going we have just enough time to sleep, eat breakfast, shower and get ready.
Be sure to see the great hall at Union Station when you arrive in Chicago but as you know Washington DC Station is most impressive. Have a great trip. BTW, if you wish to stay in downtown Chicago; many of the four star hotels are offering great deals right now on Hotwire and Priceline. We usually stay in the Magnificent Mile area and this year we are lodging at the Mellenium Knickerbocker. May accomodations can run as high as $250 per night in Chicago in May and $300 in summer, so shop around and you'll find great rooms for a decent price.
  by arrow

Thanks dlagrua and everyone else. I'll report back after May when I ride the train.