• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bigfreight

7324 came north thru Lancaster at 1130am with 4 cars 2tankcars, 2 covered hoppers.
  by toolmaker

Are they picking cars out of the storage lines in Whitefield?
  by bigfreight

I would think they are. The one car out of the four they came north with was the empty from Presby. Up in Groveton there are quite a few tankscars on the siding similar too the two tankcars they came north with. They came up north with some pretty cuts of cars 6 or 8weeks ago alot of tankcars and covered hoppers. The line of cars you can see from US3 in Whitefield looks alot shorter these days.
  by bigfreight

Active week on the Groveton to Whitefield line 7324 has been bringing down 30 to 40 cars down at a time and breaking them apart just north of Page Hill Road in Lancaster taking 20 to 25 cars down at a time to Whitefield. The last 2 nights 7324 has been parked at Page Hill RD. The crew ran out of time starting again at 0600. They have can only do 2 roundtrips from Lancaster to Whitefield and back to Groveton to get another cut of cars returning to Page Hill RD before running out of time. The cars have been covered hoppers and food grade tankcars for the most part.
  by atsf sp

Is MMA 21 permanently with the NHCR? It lost its home recently because it was stationed up at Madawaska, ME but the MMA is abandoning that line.
  by bigfreight

Have not seen MMA21 in weeks. Is it still here?
  by coosvalley

bigfreight wrote:Have not seen MMA21 in weeks. Is it still here?
I doubt it . I spoke with the crew @ Hazens and they said it was a month long lease.

Bigfreight, I also request some Pics! Here are some from the day I spoke with the crew...

by bigfreight

I have quite a few pictures over the last year that I have lived here in Lancaster but I do not have a clue on how to put them up on the Internet.
  by bigfreight

Looks like railroading is done for the winter between Groveton and Whitefield. Tuesday the state came and placed stop signs at all the crossings between Groveton and Lancaster for the snowmobilers to use the rail line.
  by John_Henry

[quote="bigfreight"]Looks like railroading is done for the winter between Groveton and Whitefield. Tuesday the state came and placed stop signs at all the crossings between Groveton and Lancaster for the snowmobilers to use the rail line.[/quote]

This NH policy is one of the most ridiculous of all the trail rules and loopholes.
  by b&m 1566

I would have to agree. If there are customers that need servicing they should do so all year long! Not from the beginning of April to the end of December. Its fine for railroads like the Conway Scenic and the Plymouth and Lincoln Railroad who choose not to operate during the heart of winter but for New England Southern and New Hampshire Central they should be able to service their customers all year at any point in time.
  by MikeVT

Guess sledding brings in more revenue during the winter. The tracks are not always open. I rode Twin Mountain a couple of weeks ago and most everything is open but I heard that North Strafford is closed.