• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by MikeVT

suprised that there is enough business left to support a shortline in northern NH. seams like all the heavy industry up there has closed down.
  by rjones2

I was in Whitefield a few weeks ago and noticed the long string of stored cars in the small yard in town. I did not make my way over to Hazen's, but did get up to Colebrook. What is interesting though is how this company has really transformed themselves and can market in various fields (storage,repair, transload). Ideally, it would be fantastic to see more business in the Whitefield Park (instead of just Presby) as the lone customer. Any other ramblings going on up there?
  by MikeVT

Maybe a pellet plant in Groverton. In the old paper mill. Not much but it would be something.
  by bruceclouette

Does anyone know if NHCR ever had revenue freight cars of its own and, if so, do you have pictures?

BRUCE CLOUETTE
  by b&m 1566

Are you asking if they own their own freight cars used in revenue service or if they have active customers in which they service?
  by bruceclouette

I mean did the NHCR ever have its own freight cars that it used in revenue service, like providing boxcars to a customer? I have seen a picture of a beat-up NHCR boxcar but it doesn't seem to have the proper labeling for interchange service, so I wondered if it was just a piece of MOW equipment being sent to be sold, rebuilt, or scrapped:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=873454

The photo was taken in Pennsylvania in 2007. This clearly is one of the former National Railway Utilization Company per diem boxcars from the 1970s, like the Aroostook Valley acquired. You can see where the NRUC placard was removed from the door.

Any info about this car (and others like it) appreciated.

BRUCE CLOUETTE
  by bigfreight

Eureka!!! Railroading has returned to the Groveton Whitefield line after a winter hiatus.On May 6th 2607 ( Locomotive Leasing Unit) came south thru Lancaster with 23 cars and returned empty. On the 8th came south with 6 cars and returned north on the 12th with 10 cars (mostly tankcars). May 13th 2607 came south again with 27 cars and returned empty. May 14th 1000AM this morning 2607 came south with the new Conway scenic engine in tow headed toward Hazen.
  by CN9634

Interesting that they are using the 2607 from the SLR even though the NHCR has its own units. Good to know the 216 is en route to CSRX. More to come.
  by rjones2

Any new customers? I know the website talks about their "transload facilities".
What's going on with Presby Plastic in Whitefield?
  by bigfreight

NHCR came south with the lease engine 2607 thru Lancaster this morning with 1 car for Presby and a Quebec and Gatineau engine on the back. Anybody know what's going on with the Q & G engine?
  by CN9634

Not sure exactly, what number was it? There should be 3 QG units on the SLR right now.
  by bigfreight

NHCR came north thru Lancaster about 1015am with 2607 leading and Q & G 3102 behind it with 36 cars mostly covered hoppers and tankcars.
  by CN9634

Very interesting. Is this traffic consistent? My guess is that this is empties heading to or from stoarge. Do you have any pictures or any way of getting pictures? The QG 3102 has been on SLR property for a while. I find it interesting that SLR power is being used on NHCR trackage.
  by bigfreight

Not consistent traffic. I think two of the covered hoppers were from the transload for Presby. I was suprised to see 3102. I think it is easier for them to use SLR engines because of no trackage rights from N Stratford to Groveton. I have lots of pictures but cannot seem to figure out how to get them uploaded on the net.