• Silverliner V: Progress Reports

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by jslader

One more pic.....
IMAGE_064.jpg

Hope these pics are better than the last ones I took of a new arrival. Gotta get this
orientation thing down, though.
  by Nick L

Are they working on finishing these shells even as the pilot cars are yet to arrive? If the pilot cars are delayed further (fingers crossed, hope not...) is it possible that we will see one of these production cars finished and running before the pilots even get here?
  by Matthew Mitchell

Nick L wrote:Is it possible that we will see one of these production cars finished and running before the pilots even get here?
No.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Short of the pilot cars ending up at the bottom of the ocean.
  by RDG467

At least two *more* were sitting on trucks in Weccacoe St. at 12:30p today. I saw a total of four shells, two were inside the fence, one of which was being lowered onto shop trucks on the transfer table. The other one was still on the trailer.

I'll try and post pix tonight, since I can't plug my camera phone into my work computer.......
  by aem7

The 3 fully assembled pilot cars were loaded this week onto the MS Orkan in S. Korea and are scheduled to arrive in South Philly on or about March 1st.
  by ex Budd man

I hope to be dockside that day. I should be back to work by then.
Bob
  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

Will the Silverliner V production cars have interior LED lighting or the old age flourescent lighting?
  by Clearfield

KAWASAKI-FAN100 wrote:Will the Silverliner V production cars have interior LED lighting or the old age flourescent lighting?
Thwe specs were written almost ten years ago. Wanna guess?
  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

Clearfield wrote:
KAWASAKI-FAN100 wrote:Will the Silverliner V production cars have interior LED lighting or the old age flourescent lighting?
I was afraid of that.
  by HangarRat

Clearfield wrote:
Seems like that would be easy enough to swap out. It's not like they'd have to beef up the electrical supply and they seem to make LED replacements for almost every kind of fixture.
  by TREnecNYP

These railcars feel like a practical joke. I still can't believe they are experimenting with taxpayer dollars with this totally unproven design from a totally inexperienced builder. There's no place like home *pinches self* please wake me from the nightmare that is SEPTA.... :(

- A
  by bth8446

Wow, usually ships are easy to track, but this one is putting up a fight. Last report was from 11 days ago, hanging out in a bay in china area, just west of korea (I guess it confirms the 'repair' job it needed). It was sitting still for 2 or more weeks at that location. but there are no other reports since then. the name of the ship is WLADYSLAW ORKAN. There were 3 orkan ships, a fishing vessel and two general cargo, but this wsadyslaw was in the right vicinity at the right time.

I'll see if it shows up in another port that reports ships
  by MelroseMatt

TREnecNYP wrote:These railcars feel like a practical joke. I still can't believe they are experimenting with taxpayer dollars with this totally unproven design from a totally inexperienced builder. There's no place like home *pinches self* please wake me from the nightmare that is SEPTA.... :(

- A

The government put Septa in this position anyway.

FRA creates new safety standards, making all existing designs obsolete, forcing any transet agency to go with new "experimental" designs.

Government comes up with "buy American" clause, Septa purchaser realizes there is no American supplier. Somehow the solution here, is for a foreign company to set up an assembly shop in south Philly.

There are plenty of people who would have preferred Septa to order some Catalog EMU's from Europe, based on designs successful over there. Unfortunately, these people don't write the laws Septa has to live under.
  by Matthew Mitchell

MelroseMatt wrote:There are plenty of people who would have preferred Septa to order some Catalog EMU's from Europe, based on designs successful over there. Unfortunately, these people don't write the laws Septa has to live under.
Huh? I'm not aware of anyone who was nagging SEPTA to try and get off-shelf non-FRA EMUs.

There were a lot of people (DVARP included) who thought it was a bad idea to go with a builder with no experience building FRA-compatible cars, particularly given SEPTA's recent history of railcar procurements. It was an especially bad idea to choose the builder who had the worst technical qualification score, especially when the top scoring bidder (Kawasaki) was very close to the low bidder's price on the base order, and actually cheaper counting the option cars (which were eventually added to the order).

Meanwhile, SEPTA had some problems complying with the (procurement) laws they have to live under.