• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Mr rt

Hay Guys, Please I didn't mean to be-grudge any of you "volunteers" ... because I'm one of them ... worked last Saturday at Warehouse Point on a trolley from 5 to 9PM. Am a member of two other museums.

BTW, I went to Strasburg not to save money, but because my 4 year old grandson lives in Perryville MD. Was his first steam train ride. Am going to IRM in Ill. this Saturday because of two more grandchildern who live in Rockford, IL They have been introduced to the pleasure of rides on steel wheels before !

P.S. saw the Nagie train all decked out at night (photos of) ... realy nice !
  by Otto Vondrak

Mr rt wrote:Hay Guys, Please I didn't mean to be-grudge any of you "volunteers"

Tell ya what, Mr. RT. If the price is a real deterrent for you, and you really want to ride the Northern Lights Express, I will buy your ticket for you. But then you have to tell all your friends what a great ride it is and encourage them to try it themselves. Hopefully that turns your :-( into a :-) !

-=otto-
  by NNR

Mr rt wrote:Oh ... $22 a ticket :-(
Strasburg was $15
Branford is $10

It blows my mind how out of all the customers to tourist RRs the Railfans are the most judgemental and always the cheapest They wan't to see historic equipment be restored and operate but when it comes time for a donation theyre gone!
  by Noel Weaver

NNR wrote:
Mr rt wrote:Oh ... $22 a ticket :-(
Strasburg was $15
Branford is $10

It blows my mind how out of all the customers to tourist RRs the Railfans are the most judgemental and always the cheapest They wan't to see historic equipment be restored and operate but when it comes time for a donation theyre gone!
YES and the same ones come on forums like this one to suggest how equipment should be painted, trackage operated and a
host of other complaints. In many cases, they contribute absolutely nothing neither volunteer nor financial.
I belong to several organizations dedicated to preservation of equipment and related facilities and some of them for a very
long time. Longest is Branford Trolley Museum AKA Shore Line Trolley Museum for 50 years (my parents would not let me
join so I could't do so until I was 21, joined on my 21st bilrthday. The Canadian organization "Exporail" has had me as a
member for over 40 years and others have been for a long time too. Even now I don't go around telling the leadership how to
do their job. These organizations all have volunteer leadership and in my opinion, they are doing an outstanding job.
Noel Weaver
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

Well, I'll tell ya this..... I've been a volunteer at the Naugy since the summer and I've been quite impressed by the organization. I've worked at or volunteered with several museums over the past 10 years, so I know what I'm talking about. The Christmas trains at the Naugy are great! You have no idea what the hard working volunteers there have done to pull this event off! You can't knock the price of anything until you know something about it. I think it's well worth the money! It's a well organized and presented event. If you come out for the ride, be sure to say thank you to the station personnel and especially your train crew. That brakeman stands in a cold vestibule for the entire shove north! Brrr!! Keep it up, RMNE! :-D
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

A cold vestibule is a heck of a lot better than a cold side ladder or a cold brake platform;) All in good fun

someone who has a done a cold shove or 50.

Back up move, CT
  by Otto Vondrak

This thread is for news and discussion related to the Railroad Museum of New England and the Naugatuck Railroad.

Official Web Site: http://www.rmne.org/

Official Flickr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rmne/

Official Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thomaston ... 4239803005

Offical Blog "News from the Naugy": http://naugy.blogspot.com/

The 2009 thread can be found here: http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=126&t=58034
  by atsf sp

I am wondering how to get to the RMNE holding yard in old Saybrook/Essex, CT. I would really like to see the Fa-1 and EF-4 along with the Pioneer Valley SW1.
  by RonM

atsf sp wrote:I am wondering how to get to the RMNE holding yard in old Saybrook/Essex, CT. I would really like to see the Fa-1 and EF-4 along with the Pioneer Valley SW1.
It's off Bokum Road BUT it is not readily accessible and set back from the road. Lots of private property and no tresspassing signs. Surrounded by chain link fence and no good photo angles. Definately not a musuem. No real good places to park on a winding twisty road in the woods. If your lucky maybe a musuem member might be there, maybe one will chime in here. The SW-1 I believe there was a photo in the NERAILS site and didn't look too good, needs some lovin' It definately looked better in the 80s... I remember them sitting in the Easthampton yard with the RS-3! FA-1 I thought went to Thomaston Shop. If you go please be careful and respect the surroundings. The RMNE gang will probably respond so stand by... Not too much open this time of year.

FWIW, I went there once years ago. Other than noticing what was there, there really wasn't much to see to make it worthwhile. I know curiousity is human nature and I got it too, but in my opinion it's one place I went to once and have no desire to go back. I was lucky though, there was an extra that day and 97 went by. Of course as it approached I stood WAAAYYY back. A better trip would be to Chase yard where you can see stuff from public property like the road or contact and visit the Thomaston shop. My 2 cents.

Edit 2. There were photos somewhere, when the RMNE made their Hospitable Train move. Those are worth looking at and many good views. Maybe someone can post a link?

**Information only **
  by shadyjay

Photos, go to http://photos.nerail.org and under "VIEW BY RAILROAD", choose NAUGATUCK RAILROAD. Old skool photos on CVRM/RMNE, and also too under VALLEY RAILROAD.

The FA-1 did go in that hospital train move up to the Naugy. Visible from the road is the EF-4/E-44 #4601 in Conrail paint (with a little bit of New Haven "brick" showing through) and the SW-1 #28 still in PVRR colors. The #1109 (former #28, nee #1109) is out of public view, as is RS-3 #140, a loco that I thought fell off the face of the Earth. Also a couple pax cars, including a NH electric MU are visible. Parking is VERY limited on Bokum Road and trees and the aforementioned fence block the view. There always seem to be cars parked adjacent to the gate but they may be from the adjoining property owner.

I never got good shots from there, even when I was able to get inside fence #1 (the railroad-road fence... then there's the railroad-yard fence).