• Official Naugatuck Railroad thread (NAUG/RMNE)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by tsrachaser

To answer a previous post... the bi-level cars are still in Torrington.

Also to respond to the post by NNR about volunteering... Drop a note to [email protected] and we'll answer any questions you have!

If anyone hasn't seen this on the Naugy blog-- (http://naugy.blogspot.com)

We are having a track work weekend coincident with our Spike-A-Thon... We will need all the help we can get! The weather is expected to be absolutely perfect for track work Saturday and Sunday. Sunny skies, and temperatures between 50 and 60. Can't ask for much more than that!

All members are encouraged to attend and non-members are also welcome – so bring a friend or two! Not all the work will be heavy – there will be plenty of support work to do to keep the track gangs busy, such as supplying tools and material. Participants should wear appropriate clothing, such as boots, hard hats, gloves, and safety glasses as necessary. Work begins following a safety briefing at 9 AM.

If you've got any questions or need directions and want to help out, please drop a note to [email protected].

To quote from our blog...
The 2009 Fall Work Weekend is scheduled for November 7-8 and most effort will be dedicated to track maintenance work. This year work will be done primarily on the main line, from just north of the Whyco Crossing toward Reynolds Bridge. (For those who do not know, this is just north of our shop site) Anyone who has been aboard a locomotive through this area can feel the need for attention. Food will be provided at either the work site or shop, so far lunch will be hot dogs, burgers, sausages, and Butterworth Beans.
  by Noel Weaver

I was driving around Torrington Thursday afternoon and when passing over Albert Street crossing and looking west toward the railroad plains I saw a vehicle with rubber tires
on the track and the gate was open. I assume that somebody was working in this area. I did not get out of my car as there was not really a suitable place to park there and it was
getting dark.
I more or less assumed that this was a legitimate operation anyway.
Noel Weaver
  by H.F.Malone

Yes Noel, the LIRR C-1 cars long stored on Plains Siding in Torrington are being worked on by employees of the cars' owner. They are being prepped for movement off the NAUG and to service elsewhere in the US.
  by Stag Hound

It is my distinct pleasure to announce the completion of the 603 (Forrest Hills) roof project. After three months of meticulous preparation including wirewheeling to bare metal, removal of all vents and patching of various areas of decay, the final paint job (including primer) was applied Saturday afternoon and evening. The importance of this project cannot be overstated relative to the stabilization of the car for future restoration. Often times "railfans" forget about this crucial step in the restoration process. Just because it has escaped the scrappers torch does not mean Mother Nature will not still have her way. Stabilization measures usually require minimal experience and are a wonderful way for new members to get "hands on." Better yet, they save much needed time and energy when a full restoration does occur.

For those of you who are unaware, a gentlemen by the name of Jim Bradley saved the 603 as well as others (Breslin Tower, Stag Hound (used on the Yankee Clipper), Great Republic (Valley), Philinda (610), and Fox Point (privately owned) from the scrappers torch. He had them moved to his back yard where they sat till his death. The cars (with the exception of the Great Republic and Bresline Tower) were donated to the museum, who placed them back on live rails. Safely tucked away in Mr. Bradley's backyard, these cars never recieved the typical modifications most heavyweight Pullmans did towards the end of their life (work train service, complete gutting) and are incredibly intact. Again though, Jim Bradley had the foresight to rescue these icons of New England rail travel, it is now our job to bring them back to their former glory. Let us know if you are interested in helping out!
  by CannaScrews

RE: FOREST HILLS

How about a wild fundraising idea.

New Haven 529 with the Forest Hills run a special on the Naugy.

Proceeds to be used for restoration efforts.

Now, who would like to pay serious dollars for a ride on a solid-bearing 6-wheel truck heavyweight on jointed rail as Mr Pullman intended?

I can attest that the ride is very, very nice.

Of course the car needs to be prepped with new air brake valves - not an insignificant cost.
  by Otto Vondrak

Stag Hound wrote:It is my distinct pleasure to announce the completion of the 603 (Forrest Hills) roof project. After three months of meticulous preparation including wirewheeling to bare metal, removal of all vents and patching of various areas of decay, the final paint job (including primer) was applied Saturday afternoon and evening.
CannaScrews wrote:Now, who would like to pay serious dollars for a ride on a solid-bearing 6-wheel truck heavyweight on jointed rail as Mr Pullman intended? I can attest that the ride is very, very nice. Of course the car needs to be prepped with new air brake valves - not an insignificant cost.
If we got enough people to chip in the money for the air brakes... and then some more money for vestibule work... and then a few more dollars to prep the body for paint... Anything is possible. I think we'll see this car return in our lifetimes, if we can generate interest in its restoration.

More info on the 603:
http://naugy.blogspot.com/2007/10/fores ... ar-nh.html

Did I mention that the interior is surprisingly well-preserved? The seat upholstery is not bad either...
  by Otto Vondrak

All aboard the Northern Lights Express!

If you're looking to get into the holiday spirit, consider taking a ride on Naugatuck Railroad's "Northern Lights Express to Santa's Train Workshop." The volunteers at RMNE/NAUG have created a very festive and exciting holiday train ride that the whole family can enjoy.

Relax in our vintage coaches, enjoy the festive atmosphere, and be on the look out for a visit from Santa Claus himself! The first Northern Lights Express departs this Saturday, 11/28, and then weekends through the December. Two departures at 4:30 and 7:00 each day, advanced reservations are suggested.

Please visit RMNE's web site for more information:

http://rmne.org/trainrides/northernlightsexpress/

See some great photos of the Northern Lights Express on our new Flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rmne/sets/ ... 741339691/

Hope to see you there!

-otto vondrak
RMNE Volunteer
  by CannaScrews

Great start for a new venue in the North West Hills of Connecticut.

A different Christmas/Hanaukah/Kwanzaa/Holiday train - yes?

Online reservations are selling briskly, and why not - only 45 minutes from New York State via I-84 or 1:15 from LOWER Westchester County, e.g. Scarsdale, Port Chester, Mamaroneck, White Plains. Then again, its down Rt 8 for the Western Massachusetts cohorts.

Nice Flikr pics. Anyone got pictures of the lit up shop?

And where will the "Star of Max" be ensconced??? Gotta have one!
  by Zog

Canna,
The Star of Max can only be mounted on the PT198. No time now to bring it up from Chase Yard. As they say "Next Year in Jerusalem"

Zog
DFS
Bronx NY
  by tsrachaser

Tickets for the Northern Lights Express and the Santa Express trains are selling FAST!

So, for those of you who might want to check out the train, buy your tickets fast!

And, as a 'railfan aside', barring the unforeseen, our beautiful NH RS3 529, will continue to do the honors for the next few weeks.
  by Otto Vondrak

Mr rt wrote:Oh ... $22 a ticket :-(
Strasburg was $15
Branford is $10
Why the sad face? If it's worth it for you to drive to Pennsylvania to save $7, then go for it (you'll spend more in gas). And if you'd rather go to Branford for a short trolley ride, then that's fine too. Each location is offering a different kind of ride and experience for you to enjoy. That's what's great about America... freedom of choice! :-) If you decide to ride with the Naugatuck Railroad, please order your tickets soon! Only two weekends left!

http://rmne.org/trainrides/northernligh ... /index.htm

-otto-
  by H.F.Malone

Well, let's see now.... Valley RR is $17 a ticket for regular (May-Oct) train ride only (boat is extra). Their "North Pole Express" is $24. So, how is NAUG's $22 ticket price for the "special event" too expensive? Quite a few people seem to be happy to pay it and happy to have ridden the NLE. Lots of positive comments from riders.

And Strasburg is $15, the trip is 45 minutes--- not 75 minutes like NAUG's trip.

Let's remember the real reason NAUG/RMNE charges money for this -- so that funds can be raised to restore and maintain this old stuff. And frankly, anyone who is posting on this forum is not a "civilian" and should not begrudge an all-volunteer outfit like RMNE, the opportunity to raise a few dollars.