• LA&L, WNYP, B&H Diesel Status

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by sarabliss50

is B&H #422 now assignment to LAL Line, or is it in Lakeville for Repairs, and is WNYP #428 or #433 Ready head to WNYP, or Want Will be to ready,
  by scottychaos

sarabliss50 wrote: is B&H #422 now assignment to LAL Line,
or is it in Lakeville for Repairs,
and is WNYP #428,
or #433 Ready head to WNYP,
No
Yes
No
No
;)

I saw all three locos in Lakeville on 11/23.

422 is in Lakeville for some work..I think I heard "wheel work" but that might not be right..(something like that)
428 and 433 were being shuffled around while I was there..428 was moved out of the shop,
and 433 was moved in..

433 is being worked on, still in NYSW yellow..I didnt ask for an estimate on when she might be ready..so I dont know about that..but I do know she is being worked on..

Also "Traveler" was in Lakeville that day, having just returned from the WNYP a few days before..
she was being put to bed for the winter..
photos soon!

Scot
  by scottychaos

I just noticed something interesting!
and something that I think has not yet been noticed or reported..a mystery! :P

I was just looking through my photos..taken 11/23/09 in Lakeville..(photos coming soon)
the Blue "Seminole Gulf" unit..was number 550, and we were told is slated to become WNYP 428..

when it arrived it had the numbers 550 in its numberboards..(from its previous life)
its number boards have been changed out by LAL!
it is now wearing the number... 450 in its numberboards!

450 doesnt fit the C424 pattern..(well the "4" does..but why have a big gap between 435 and 450?
but clearly LAL replaced the original numberboards that said 550, with new numberboards that say 450..
anyone know what is up with that?

here is the current list, as it is currently believed:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/ny-alcos/

I have the 550/450/428 on the list as the 428.

Scot
  by scottychaos

ok..they must be some kind of temporary "shop numbers" or something like that..
because actually the unit is wearing the number 450 in one of its front numberboards..
451 in the other front board..and what appears to be 452 in one of the back numberboards!

(this is the former 550, the blue Seminole Gulf unit..supposed to become WNYP 428)

odd..most strange indeed..
anyone know what this strange numbering would be about?
a jokester in the shop? ;)
unlikely I know..must be a real reason for it..
any ideas?

bad photo..shooting straight into the sun:

Scot
  by Corry Railfan

Just a thought. I would have to say the number boards came from the ex guilford units to keep the black paint from getting in the area of the light bulbs, this area needs to be a gray or white for the numberboards to show up correctly! My 2 cents
  by scottychaos

Corry Railfan wrote:Just a thought. I would have to say the number boards came from the ex guilford units to keep the black paint from getting in the area of the light bulbs, this area needs to be a gray or white for the numberboards to show up correctly! My 2 cents
ah! good thinking..that makes sense!
there is also blue masking tape visable around the number boards, looks like they havent painted yet, but will soon..
that must be it! mystery solved! :)
thanks,
Scot
  by railwatcher

I like the number play! Very funny. I am holding my list to #428 for the former #550. Must be geting ready for paint. Question is.. I wonder if they are going to shoot the former #3006 NYSW unit at the same time. Maybe there was a sale on black paint. :-)
  by Mike Stellpflug

Yesterday, I saw that 550, or whatever number it is, was parked in the dead line with the "pink" engines.
  by sarabliss50

any word on nysw 3674, i know 77 and 3660 are Part Units, for wnyp, and is HLCX EMD SD-40 UNITS still on WNYP
  by Mr.S

I'm not sure if this has been posted before,how many non ALCO's are in /on the L.A.& L. RR system of railroads?
This means GE's to EMD's.
Mr.S
  by NS59

As of several weeks ago the HLCX units were stored at the Olean yard. I do not believe any of the LA&L family of railroads have operated anything but ALCO/MLW power since the HLCX units were placed in storage.
  by Mike Stellpflug

425 & 420 got turned on the R&S wye.
425 is now the leader out of Lakeville and 420 is the leader returning to Lakeville.
  by wolfboy8171981

Trainorders.com is reporting that IBCX C-630M #2028 is in transit to the WNYP/LAL.
  by thebigham

^Thanks!
  by Smtimko

IBCX 2028 is moving to Cohocton Shop via NS-WNYP-NS-B&H Rail.

Opon arrival it will be evaluated and the unit's future will depend on the outcome of the evaluation.

SMT