• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VRR) - 2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by superwarp1

Few questions.

How much of the line is now cleared and how much of it is used for the dinner train?

Would the upgrades would include heavier rail larger freight cars?

I would guess they would upgrade the tracks for 25 mph running(or is it at that now)? Is so it would be sure nice to see 97 or 40 being able to stretch there legs out
  by shadyjay

Entire line is cleared, and from what I heard, is weed-sprayed yearly. Operation of full size trains (vs handcars/motorcars/high rail) would require more clearing. I drove through Haddam Meadows the other day (MP 16.13 IIRC) and you can see down the tracks in both directions for quite the ways. Far cry from my first hike in '94 when you had to bushwack to make your own trail through. Of course there are still the obstacles, mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Track speed ranges from 15-20 mph between Essex and Goodspeeds. I believe the dinner train is running to a point north of GD, but not quite to Midway Marina yet. There is some really nice river views (scenic) just north of GD.

I don't know how much speeds would increase for regular excursions if this all goes through, but I would like to see 40/97/3025! bring every train up to Goodspeed, run around, and return. And the boat cruise could go south on the river instead. With a little boost in speed, the ride length could only be another 15 minutes give or take. With better track, dinner train may make it "close" to Haddam Meadows. Of course you could always bring back the early train and send that to Haddam Meadows as well, and for special events up there too. Slap in a run around track and a platform and.... woah Jay... don't get ahead of yourself!
  by H.F.Malone

Anyone know what equipment is coming to the VRR from Claremont & Concord in NH? Possibly a baggage car? Possibly an additional item (making two "new" pieces arriving)? The stuff is billed out and ready for NECR to pick up and start the journey. Do tell....

HFM

Richard's Curve, CT
  by Scooter

From the Pinlsy Railroads Yahoo Group:

"Unless you know more than I do, it should be only one carfor Valley RR.

Former CN sleeper from a private purchase that had been stored in Claremont.

*What kind of CN sleeper is it? Was it ever used on the CV?

**I don't know if it ever ran on the CV or not and it's lastuse was in MOWservice perhaps as a dorm car.

The only thing I know about it is that it's a six axle, round roof."

It just rolled by my shop door onto the interchange track at 10:40 this morning.
  by Stag Hound

Hmmm. Seems everything is coming together for the future Hartford to Saybrook overnight service!
  by Stag Hound

What are they going to use it for?
  by H.F.Malone

Get your mind out of the gutter, Stag.

LOL.
  by shadyjay

Stag Hound wrote:What are they going to use it for?
Why, overnight trips between Essex and Middletown, of course! She'll be equipped with wings to fly over the Higganum washout and Haddam backfill, and the rest she'll poke at a slow 2 mph north of GD. Talk about the scenic route along the river... too bad you won't see much as it'll be dark. But you'll see the car, as it'll be painted white in honor of the "Ghost Train". Since it'll have wings, it may also take flight on the "Air Line" to Boston.

:wink: :wink: :P

(sorry--- couldn't resist)
  by CannaScrews

Well - If it's white and has wings - can the halo be far behind?

Just in time for Valentine's day - a sleeper.

Lynn Parrot's dream is coming true.
  by kitn1mcc

Thomas the Tanks Engine this week

ohhhhh joy