• Official Valley Railroad Thread (VRR) - 2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by superwarp1

work has begun it will be moved inside within the week once the superheaters and tubes are removed just because you don't see drastic changes doesn't meen nothing has happened!

Thanks for the info. Still trying to find time to get down there and ride with my son.
  by kitn1mcc

and a nice shot of the tie crane too
  by shadyjay

10:00 on a Friday night and I'm hearing the sound of a hancock air whistle blowing for a crossing... or it could be the whistle of ole' #40. Question is the dinner train usually comes home around 9-9:30. Was this a charter?

I can occasionally hear Amtrak if the night is right, but what I heard was definetely from the VRR, a sound I hear regularly since I'm about 2 miles west of the Essex station.
  by kitn1mcc

they had some switching to do last night

they RR took delivery of 2 used motorola ht1000 to replace the aging fleet of protables radio and to get ready for narrow band
  by shadyjay

Switching confirmed... stopped down this afternoon and that's what they said.

#2 is looking really good - sitting next to the shop on track 7, with coaches 601 and 603 behind and #97 just ahead of the 3-way switch to the main. #3025 is in the shop. Also see new engine house blog at www.essexsteamtrain.com. #40 still in charge of steam train. #0901 at south end of the shop, #0900 on d/t duty. 2 ConnValley coaches up on track 11.

Outside of that, not much else new to report.
  by rwk

About the boat marina north of Goodspeed, is the track still in place through there, or was it removed where it's paved? What is the likelihood of an excursion train going through the marina? Is the track operable as far as the south end of the marina? So, the marina is the next big hurdle to go through? How would that work? Would the marina mind an excursion train going through their property or is a deal being worked out between the Valley and them?
  by shadyjay

Tracks are still there, just buried under a little gravel/stone. Only paving is a grade crossing north of the marina though that happens and is a relatively easy fix. There is still track work to do between Goodspeeds and the marina so its not like the owners of the marina have to be too worried, yet. However, when the day comes when #3025 hangs her forward coupler onto the gravel in line with several pleasure craft, then I'm guessin there'll be a worry or two. But that's a little ways off. What I could see is the tracks fenced in on both sides with a crossing available at one end or the other.

I remember the first time #40 hung her coupler over Route 82 for a ceremony in May 95. Some motorists were definetely getting freaked out. It wasn't long after that when the state came and relaid rails across Route 82, which had been removed not that long ago as part of a paving project.

And here's a hat I don't wear too often... realism. I would love to see the VRR whistle into Haddam Meadows, or even Middletown. But are they going to put money into the project and fight neighbors if its only going to satisfy the few of us who want the train to go further? Is that "one excursion a year" going to be worth it? Yes, for me, but probably no from a financial standpoint. There are just too many obstacles for a full blown restoration at this time, not to mention not far north of the marina is a driveway backfilled on the tracks, then track in a swamp, then a high bridge, and all around... NIMBYs.
  by kitn1mcc

the owners of the marina have been warned and there are plans to dig it out.
  by CVRA7

When the VRRCo was first set up and obtained the lease, at least two motor hand car trips were run to Maromas at the Middletown end, I think in 1969 and 1970 ( the line had been abandoned by the New Haven in Mar 1968 ). After that all attention went into the operating portion of the line and soon the north end was impassable. Earlier VRRCo. managements should have tried a bit harder to keep the line open - maybe that would have made the recent efforts a bit easier by continually "showing the flag" up there. Especially dealing with that filled in overhead bridge and to a lesser extent the marina.
During the later 70s and through the 80s CVRM volunteer crews reopened the line north of the Riverside stop just north of Deep River, with the track and bridge rebuildings eventually allow regular train operation to Goodspeeds. We gradually reopened the line north of there for motor hand cars as far as the filled in bridge - think this was c. 1982, before the flood.
Having ridden the entire line in 1963 and 1964 I can say that the more scenic areas are from Deep River north due to being closer to the Conn. River.
When the "boat people" controlled the railroad, reopening the line was somewhat discouraged. Since that era has passed, I feel that there now is a better chance to operate north of Goodspeeds if funding is found.
  by RRBUFF

I have some pictures of the early rail trips up the line to Maromas . We used the 1956 Hi Rail Pontiac and Don Wolfgangs speeder. Add Austin,Bill Zaiser, Jim Siebert,Dick Edling and I, Dick Carroll,cleared trees, brush and vines to get through. In some places the right of way was cut out just as wide as the box cars broke off branches.
  by Brendan

Another recap of the north end of the line, I started Volunteering on track in 1991, trains stopped at mile 9 in Chester at dock road at that time. We )the Volunteers) opened 3 1/4 miles to Rt 82 in Haddam by 1994, The Rt 82 crossing went in in 1996. Buy the early 2000s we had completed the rebuilding of Goodspeed yard and extended operational track to mile 12.7. Around 2000 we also started clearing the now 30 year old trees from the right of way that were growing right up between the rails. I think it was 2006 when we finished clearing the trees and small obstructions from the track all the way to the end of our leased track in Middletown. Many small obstructions like dirt covered crossings and lawns over the rails and sheds were moved to make the rails passable. what is left for obstructions, is the Marina at mile 13.25, a filled in overpass at mile 14.5, the Haddam Dump pave-over at mile 16.4, and the washout from the flood of 1982 at mile 18. end of Valley track is at mile 21.7.
The washout, while big, is just a mater fill and money.
The Haddam Dump should be gone soon.
The filled in overpass will be the biggest issue, it was OKed by the DEP (our land lord) back in the 60s and will take a plan developed by DEP to build a bridge or reroute traffic to another crossing or bridge, and then lots of money.
The Marina while not a big deal physically to scrape away the dirt, has been a big deal politically between the Marina and the DEP. the tracks and property are owned by DEP but the marina has but up a big fight with big names in Harford. Last I knew all requests by the marina have been Denied and it is a mater of state officials to physically remove them from the Right of way that we lease and pay for from the DEP.
In the mean time the Volunteers continue to keep the brush cut back the RR contracts weed spray and we patrol the line with hi-rails and motor cars to keep what we have, open until money and need comes along for reactivating the rest of the line.
  by Mr rt

Brendan,
It's realy nice to have this kind of re-cap every once in a while, thanks for your post.
- Haddam Dump: The State has been pushing the town to get off State land for a while now.
The current town "First Selectman" has been looking a several sites & floating the idea of carting the garbich out of town.
Most recently he's pushing a site accross the street (and accross the tracks).
- Marina: They have been parking boats on the tracks for some time now, as their property is on both sides of it.
It would appear that they are trying to acquire the ROW by squaters rights :-( I realy don't see why they are making such a big deal about it. The ROW & property is on the same level ?
- There is an event in the Haddam Meadows this week-end where the "Friends of the Valley" will be showing the flag.
Anything that reminds the public of the active presence of the RxR folks is a good thing. Otherwise some group is going to ask the state to turn it into a "trail". The Middletown to Wilamantic and Manchester to Wilamantic lines went that way.
If either hadn't the P&W wouldn't have to use the shoreline to get from New London to New Haven.
  by superwarp1

Yes, thanks for the update. Glad things are moving along
  by Stag Hound

I hate to be the bearer of bad news to the marina but land acquisition by "adverse posession" (aka squatter's rights) is illegal when dealing with a ROW. Apparently no one has told them this.