• Arrow III Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by sean3f

Here is a vid of some Arrow III's coming into Newark Airport and arriving at NYP. You can also see a roof collapse at Newark Penn.

----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9-eE0ydBac <-----

I am not sure why but, I love riding the Arrow's .

With this fleet aging, how much longer will we see them and will we ever see any new MU's on Transit?
  by Taborite

sean3f wrote:With this fleet aging, how much longer will we see them and will we ever see any new MU's on Transit?
I'm wondering the same thing. From an outsider's perspective it seems like all interest in the MU RFP has died out.
  by Nasadowsk

Taborite wrote:
I'm wondering the same thing. From an outsider's perspective it seems like all interest in the MU RFP has died out.
Bombardier wasn't the low bid, so they simply didn't award the contract. The MBTA and Septa are known to do this silly trick when they firm they want doesn't win. It's not terribly common in the industrialized world as a whole, but nothing surprises me anymore.
  by ryanov

Any idea who the low bidder was?
  by ApproachMedium

I remember talk about Kawasaki visiting NJT way back when. It could possably have been them. I think they would have made a good product but seeing how Metro North is what, 2 years delayed on M8s because they failed the crash test 4 times well that makes you think otherwise...
  by Darien Red Sox

Nasadowsk wrote: Bombardier wasn't the low bid, so they simply didn't award the contract. The MBTA and Septa are known to do this silly trick when they firm they want doesn't win. It's not terribly common in the industrialized world as a whole, but nothing surprises me anymore.
I am gussing they did not want a repeat of the Commet V desaster
  by Matt Johnson

Does anyone know what exactly changed on the Arrow III's during the ABB rebuild that lowered their top speed from 100 to 80 mph?

I hope NJT hasn't abandoned its plans for the Arrow IV. It's much needed!
  by sixty-six

Matt Johnson wrote:Does anyone know what exactly changed on the Arrow III's during the ABB rebuild that lowered their top speed from 100 to 80 mph?

I know! What are you going to complain about decades from now?
  by ApproachMedium

Matt Johnson wrote:Does anyone know what exactly changed on the Arrow III's during the ABB rebuild that lowered their top speed from 100 to 80 mph?

Nothing in the speciifcation lowered their speed. By Spec the cars were supposed to be able to continue 100mph operation, but in eairly operation the traction motors were burning up. Possably because of one less truck on a married pair with motors but some may debate the TM quality. The other things that limited their speed was when the speed was some bad bearing issues. When they were brought back up to 90mph at one point they were having traction motor/bearing isssues once again so the cars remained at 80mph. I dont know if the new cars in the spec said 100mph, but what are other transit agencys doing? Whats the max speed on the M7 equiptment? I dont recall what it was for the Silverliner 5 either.
  by Nasadowsk

ApproachMedium wrote: I dont know if the new cars in the spec said 100mph, but what are other transit agencys doing? Whats the max speed on the M7 equiptment? I dont recall what it was for the Silverliner 5 either.
The MTA has always asked for 100mph on their commuter EMUs (naturally not on the subway!), and AFAIK, all the M cars can do it, but they all top at 80mph, save for the few miles of 90 on Metro-North's New Haven line.

I think think the SL V is 100mph. The IVs were 100mph, the prior stuff 80.

One can debate the use of 100mph, and I suspect that's why the Arrows ultimately did get stuck at 80. Off the NEC, it's of no use, and on the NEC, it's useful mostly for expresses and south of Jersey Ave. Of course, NJT could try to bias their equipment towards running locomotive sets on express runs and MUs on locals (well, on the NEC at least)...
  by ApproachMedium

Septas SLIV is currently 95mph in amtraks timetable, i thought it was 90 for septa, oh well. The II and IIIs are listed as 85mph. No idea what septa has them listed as.
  by Matthew Mitchell

ApproachMedium wrote:No idea what SEPTA has them listed as.
85 for the Silverliner II and III cars, 95 for the Silverliner IVs, and 100 for the Bombardier push-pull sets (not sure about the Comets).
  by Jtgshu

DutchRailnut wrote:http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 1012090350, 5 year life extension overhaul.
Cool, so that means at least another 10 years of MUs running - hahhaa

Im sure Mr. Matt Johnson will be thrilled!

Mr. Alan does have a good point about the new order of MLs tho, especially with all the Comet 3s sitting in Bay Head....
  by R3 Passenger

If NJT wants to replace their electric MUs, SEPTA should be designing the Silverliner VI soon to replace the Silverliner IVs. They should probably get in on that to help distribute some of the fixed costs of manufacturing over a larger number of railcars. It would be win-win for both agencies.