• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by OCtrainguy

I saw that in action on Saturday. I was in Manville early Saturday afternoon as I made my way through the area getting ready for a friend’s wedding. I saw what I believe to be NS 213 heading west around one o’clock on the NS Lehigh Line. I only saw the last half of the train, in which the cars had trailers. I went over the CSX Trenton Line and saw Q300 waiting to leave the yard with Q190 behind the Q300. I didn’t see the power for the Q300, only the cars. The Q190 had GEVOs 5238 & 5352. Plus, a yard job was working there with NS GP38-2 5271. Not bad for about fifteen minutes….
  by Ken S.

What train usually comes through Union Station around 2:20 PM? It was a double stack train headed to South Kearny if that helps.
  by lakeshoredave

how busy is this route these days into oak island?
  by faxman

I think the lehigh line will down sat for a bridge replacement at Meeker Ave Newark NJ (by old NK tower)
  by painterman

Trains are running on the lehigh line. Just caught 2 EB intermodals, 1 wb autorack 1 intermodal between 8am-8:45am.

Radio chatter sounds like they are taking alternate routes via the port reading sec.
  by Kaback9

painterman wrote:Trains are running on the lehigh line. Just caught 2 EB intermodals, 1 wb autorack 1 intermodal between 8am-8:45am.

Radio chatter sounds like they are taking alternate routes via the port reading sec.
Its only on Saturdays.
  by OCtrainguy

With a gift from my employer in the form of off on Christmas Eve, and snow on the ground, I headed up to South Plainfield for some morning railfanning. It's been months since I was able to get up there. Here's how I did yesterday.

1. 8:56 EB NS 22V NS 9927, NS 8722 & NS 8418
2. 8:59 WB NS 21M NS 2760, NS 9198 & NS 2564
3. 9:06 EB NS 212 NS 9841 & NS 9448
4. 9:13 WB CSX Q409 CSX 877 & CSX 471
5. 9:46 EB CSX ??? CSX 5108, CSX 9006, CSX 7738 & CSX 1188
6. 10:07 EB NS 214 NS 7561, NS 8771 & NS 8976

I left after the 214 and it was a great morning to be trackside. Any information on the eastbound CSX mixed freight would be appreciated.

Have a Merry Christmas!
  by RailsEast

Hi Steve, I'm not an expert in the area, but that CSX eastbound may have been Q300 off the Trenton line.
Someone else may have some better info for you.......
Happy holidays
  by OCtrainguy

Chris, I wasn't sure if it was the Q300 or not as I've often seen that train with garbage cars up front for Oak Island. So I don't know if it was the Q300, Q410 or Q438.
  by Kaback9

If it had EPIC cars it was 300 otherwise, 438 sounds right.
  by davebdawg

Was out @ Potter on Sunday afternoon around 4 ish and caught 6 engines running light on track 2 Eastbound and a 3 engine long freight a few minutes later westbound.
Now a question, when engines are running light, any idea on how many of them usually are running, actually doing the hauling, like say if there's 6, one would be enough, 12, 2 would do the job?
I suppose they base the number on the amount of weight an engine would be hauling, so I guess it would 'nt matter whether it's engines or freight cars, as for a specific amount of weight you would need so many engines to do the job.
So on average one engine would be good for X? amount of cars? :wink:
  by painterman

Lehigh is dead today. Been here (so plnfld) since 8am and only one EB CSX stack around 10am.

Anyone know what's up?
  by blockline4180

painterman wrote:Lehigh is dead today. Been here (so plnfld) since 8am and only one EB CSX stack around 10am.

Anyone know what's up?

Extended holiday weekend???
  by wolfboy8171981

painterman wrote:Lehigh is dead today. Been here (so plnfld) since 8am and only one EB CSX stack around 10am.

Anyone know what's up?
New Years Holiday shut down. Both railroads were to start back up at 7am. Most traffic was held far away from North Jersey. There was a L173,Q703, and K806 that ran after midnight on the 2nd.