• Tracking "Pennsylvania" 269

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by scotty269

R3 Passenger wrote:I have also noticed that 269 does tend to reside in Powelton Yard during the weekends. I've been noticing a lot of oddities lately. Last week, I rode a bomber set where the first two cars were cab cars (not attached to the AEM-7). I didn't get car numbers.
The Comet 1 set is running like that..
  by rslitman

scotty269 wrote:One of the yardmasters must be having some fun... Both R3 Passenger and I noticed an unusually large number of sequential pairings last week, all with the IIs and IIIs. I wonder if this latest paring (269+218) are just coincidence or another yardmaster special..?
One day last week, the R3 express due at Bethayres at 5:44 p.m. was running with 5 II's and a III instead of a push pull set. 218 (but not 269) was part of this train, but I was apparently on the wrong side of the tracks to see the partial Pennsylvania. This has happened both times that I've caught sight of 218 since learning of its significance. Both times, I could only see the train from what would be the inbound side of the West Trenton line. The one Silverliner III on this train was 228, the one that was involved in the incident at Neshaminy Falls on June 11.
  by SEPTAR3kid

rslitman wrote:
scotty269 wrote:One of the yardmasters must be having some fun... Both R3 Passenger and I noticed an unusually large number of sequential pairings last week, all with the IIs and IIIs. I wonder if this latest paring (269+218) are just coincidence or another yardmaster special..?
One day last week, the R3 express due at Bethayres at 5:44 p.m. was running with 5 II's and a III instead of a push pull set. 218 (but not 269) was part of this train, but I was apparently on the wrong side of the tracks to see the partial Pennsylvania. This has happened both times that I've caught sight of 218 since learning of its significance. Both times, I could only see the train from what would be the inbound side of the West Trenton line. The one Silverliner III on this train was 228, the one that was involved in the incident at Neshaminy Falls on June 11.
It's too bad 218 is only partially lettered on one side although I did get some pictures and video of it one day in Media. I've still yet to see 269.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPj5B7EtCCA
  by Silverliner II

R3 Passenger wrote:I have also noticed that 269 does tend to reside in Powelton Yard during the weekends. I've been noticing a lot of oddities lately. Last week, I rode a bomber set where the first two cars were cab cars (not attached to the AEM-7). I didn't get car numbers.
Multiple cabs in trains are normal in the Bomber sets. With 10 cabs and only 6 sets of Bombers, there is always a chance that 2 or 3 sets will have two cabs in them. For a while over the spring, I saw one set with three cab cars head out, and over the winter, one set was in a cab-trailer-cab-trailer-cab-trailer-trailer setup...
  by RDG467

I saw it this morning outbound on the R2 at Willow Grove around 0715. It was the first car of a 4-car train, and the full Pennsylvania lettering was visibile.

From what I understand, Septa pop-riveted stainless panels over the lettering of the PRR and RDG cars. Is that what happened, or did I hear incorrectly?
  by Silverliner II

RDG467 wrote:I saw it this morning outbound on the R2 at Willow Grove around 0715. It was the first car of a 4-car train, and the full Pennsylvania lettering was visibile.

From what I understand, Septa pop-riveted stainless panels over the lettering of the PRR and RDG cars. Is that what happened, or did I hear incorrectly?
Correct for some. Other cars simply had the lettering rubbed out.

And then there is car #218...the "LVANIA" car...(only on one side, I believe...)
  by Flababo

Silverliner II wrote:
RDG467 wrote:I saw it this morning outbound on the R2 at Willow Grove around 0715. It was the first car of a 4-car train, and the full Pennsylvania lettering was visibile.

And then there is car #218...the "LVANIA" car...(only on one side, I believe...)
I was on 257 today--you can see the "Pennsylvania" on one side even though it had been sanded out. Basically it looks like rough patches on the smoother steel plate.
  by Nick L

262 has some weird patterned plastic covering the letters instead.
  by Matthew Mitchell

9261 yesterday (Sept 10)
  by Matthew Mitchell

You guys have gotten slack.

269 was the second car on 6248 tonight (didn't notice it until I got off).
  by rslitman

I haven't seen many Silverliner II's or III's lately, although train 371 had at least two of the same three Silverliner II's on two consecutive days earlier this week. 9006 was in the lead, and 205 was second. I didn't catch what the third car was on either day, but it was not 269, because I didn't see the word "Pennsylvania" as I leaned over to try to see if it was 269. If it was 218, I was on the wrong side of the train to see it.
  by CNJGeep

Silverliner II wrote:

Correct.
http://www.subchat.com/read.asp?Id=803094
  by Nick L

Second car on 6364.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Bob and I saw it southbound approaching Temple at about 5:35 tonight. Couldn't tell where it was headed though.
  by rslitman

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Bob and I saw it southbound approaching Temple at about 5:35 tonight. Couldn't tell where it was headed though.
Since 6364 turns around at West Trenton as 4257, it was probably this train running about 8 minutes late headed all the way to Newark. From there, it was scheduled to depart at 7:23 as 7256 and terminating in Suburban Station.

I think trains spend the night in Suburban Station, so normally I'd say it's there now, having been scheduled to arrive at 8:28 p.m. However, all bets are off tonight with the special Phillies game service.