Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by drumz0rz

Why is it that Greenlawn, Kings Park and Smithtown all have 2 tracks and 2 platforms, but Northport only has 1? I've also read on the wikipedia article that had electrification been extended past Huntington, Northport would probably be the terminus, however wouldn't that be a bad idea with it having only one track? Was part of the rationale for not building a second track there due to the hardware store located South of the tracks, which is as old (if not older) than then railroad, and would have to be removed to allow the expansion?
  by MACTRAXX

Drum: I think I can answer this: Those other stations have sidings thru them but at Northport the siding is E of the station and the Larkfield Road crossing-meaning only one platform was needed.

There is provision there with room already to allow a second track and platform to be constructed there-a track switch determining the end of double track there could be installed just W of the Larkfield Road crossing if need be. The LIRR would like to extend a second track as far E on the PJ branch to at least Northport or the siding E of there provided the money can be obtained to construct it. The next time you are there at Northport Station note the overhead bridge was built wide enough to be over a second track and access a future S platform.
MACTRAXX
  by M1 9147

Don't forget that Greenlawn (South Platform) is not used, and can hold 8 cars max on it! You would need for the 3 to 4 miles an extra track if electrification took place there! If I'm not mistaken, there is too tight space for extra track to be added between Northport, and Greenlawn, but plenty of width between Greenlawn, and Huntington along the right of way!
  by drumz0rz

It would be a very interesting process if they were to ever do it. I'm pretty sure the LIPA lines between greenlawn and northport are too close and would have to be moved, it's a tight stretch of track.

You're right, I forgot about the station bit, it's been a while since I've left from there (I drive to Huntington). There is room left for a second track, should one ever be built. The gym across larkfield might have a problem though.
  by M1 9147

The LIPA lines would have to be done in a similar fashion to what Cold Spring Harbor had in the late 70's-early 80's when a 2nd track, and a south platform were added to it. Cold Spring Harbor used to have the Hi-T's if you look at older video footage. Now a days Hi-T towers can be replaced by new ones, so shifting them wouldn't be an issue. Look at areas such as the Main Line in the vicinity of MP 53 eastward between Horseblock Road, and William Floyd Pkwy, they have new Hi-T steel stanchions now.
  by SaintSpellCheck

MAX is correct, the reason why, is the siding is east of the station, instead of in the station. Thats why there is no second track and platform in Northport.
  by jmeechum

A few photos of the area... (all looking east)

Looks like it could work, if the switch were west of Larkfield.
  by SaintSpellCheck

Maybe in the future, the RR has more pressing issues right now, east side accsess, third track on the mainline, new diesel engines, etc.
Notice in the first picture, the pedestrian overpass was designed with a second track in mind.
  by LIRailfan79

there used to be two tracks going through Northport station. i have some old pics from the 1950's showing a steam powered freight train going through Npt and you see two tracks next to the station.
  by alchemist

Correct, Railfan. The passing track/DEF used to cross Larkfield and there was a spur siding as well. See the white building in jmeechum's third photo? That used to be the location of Alexander Karp hardware; he used to take rail delivery of coal to a couple of bins behind (west of) his building. Very sophisticated operation - had one of those portable conveyers to lift the coal from the hopper discharge into the bins. A little ways west of that used to be the Rothman pickle works, where they used to make sauerkraut in the 1950's. I believe there's a historical marker at the site. It was an old rambling complex of wooden buildings. Probably made cucumber pickles away back when, before the fungus blight wiped out LI cuke farming. The sauerkraut operation lasted into the days of plasic-bagged kraut, but not much longer. Across Larkfield from Karp's was the Larkfield Sweet Shop, where the building with the gray awning is. Ice cream soda while you waited for the train :-D
  by drumz0rz

Interesting history. Karp's is still there, and is still a hardware store. The pickleworks and sweet shop are long gone though.
  by Port Jervis

MACTRAXX wrote:Drum: I think I can answer this: Those other stations have sidings thru them but at Northport the siding is E of the station and the Larkfield Road crossing-meaning only one platform was needed.

There is provision there with room already to allow a second track and platform to be constructed there-a track switch determining the end of double track there could be installed just W of the Larkfield Road crossing if need be. The LIRR would like to extend a second track as far E on the PJ branch to at least Northport or the siding E of there provided the money can be obtained to construct it. The next time you are there at Northport Station note the overhead bridge was built wide enough to be over a second track and access a future S platform.
MACTRAXX
Well that answers a question I've had for a long time.

Another is what the "other" platform at Greenlawn is for, given that it's never used. I once saw a NY&A freight on it, but that's it.
  by drumz0rz

That probably has to do with the planned electrification extension that never happened. If it was extended to northport (or beyond) then the stations would function as most of the others in the system do, with an eastbound and a westbound platform (generally speaking)
  by pineywoodsman

I wonder why Greenlawn's south platform is never used. It would really ease the congestion in this area, since a late train will always screw up another train. This happens alot on the 6:49pm westbound from Stony Brook, waiting east of Northport for the 7:37pm in Northport to pass.
  by LIRailfan79

pineywoodsman wrote:I wonder why Greenlawn's south platform is never used. It would really ease the congestion in this area, since a late train will always screw up another train. This happens alot on the 6:49pm westbound from Stony Brook, waiting east of Northport for the 7:37pm in Northport to pass.
the main reason is that they would have to install a brand new interlocking at the location in order to use the siding. right now the siding is accessed by two electric lock (hand thrown) switches. they would need to install remotely controlled power-operated switches, along with at least 6 pedestal type signals. i'm assuming they would have to upgrade the track itself as well as it looks pretty worn down (also it is classified as a 'Double Ended Freight' track, which means passenger trains are prohibited from using it at this time). i have no idea how much all these upgrades would cost, i'm betting a lot.
i do agree though, having a passing siding at greenlawn would add a bit more flexibility to dealing with a late train. its a long way from Huntington to Northport when you are on a stopped train waiting for the late one to pass.