• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR) -2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Dick H

There was a possibility of a MBRRE excursion from North Conway to Hazens on the CSRR and then up the NHCR to Groveton in August. It is my understanding that there will be no such excursion this year, but that there will be an effort to run a trip on this route in 2010.

Dick
  by b&m 1566

Are there plans for another steam in the SNOW event this coming January? I know last year someone called it the “2nd Annual Steam in the Snow Event” but I'm not so sure it’s guaranteed to happen every year! I know Paul Hallet has mentioned he hopes to run another steam in the snow even this coming January but I don’t know if he means he will run one with or without MBRRE.
  by Meyblc

Ok....I've got to ask even if it seems like an "idiot" question.

When Thomas shows up for a railfan weekend or other such event, is thomas an actual working locomotive or is there always a real working locomotive at the rear of the train pushing and pulling the consist?
  by NHN503

Meyblc wrote:Ok....I've got to ask even if it seems like an "idiot" question.

When Thomas shows up for a railfan weekend or other such event, is thomas an actual working locomotive or is there always a real working locomotive at the rear of the train pushing and pulling the consist?

Its a dummy locomotive. I believe the only working Thomas in North America is at Strasburg.
  by atsf sp

Strasburg is the base of operation for all the Thomas engines in the US. I believe there are 3 dummies and 1 live engine. The live one does move around but it is mainly the dummies that go to the museums. The live steam one was built from a 1917 Porter engine.
  by b&m 1566

What years did #108 operate on the Conway Scenic? I've been told it was from 1976 to 1986. I know it was taken out by truck but did it arrive by truck or by rail? How often did it operate... main engine, 50/50 or was it a backup locomotive?
  by daylight4449

b&m 1566 wrote:What years did #108 operate on the Conway Scenic? I've been told it was from 1976 to 1986. I know it was taken out by truck but did it arrive by truck or by rail? How often did it operate... main engine, 50/50 or was it a backup locomotive?
she arrived by truck. she did operate from 76 to 86, but after that, she sat on the siding on the bartlett side of the yard until 99, when she was taken back home to her original state of texas, where she is still undergoing restoration. got the original baldwin documents from the restoration group website.
  by #7470

By Bartlett side of the yard do you mean the siding in Bartlett or is this a referance to a side of the yard in North Conway? To the best of my knowledge, the 108 sat on one of the turntable tracks outside the roundhouse until she was taken away but I was only a kid when I saw 108 on an out of service track..I wasn't even born when she was running. Would be nice to have two steamers on the Conway Scenic.

Actually I just found this bit of information from a forum on this site..
I have some info for you........I sent an e-mail to Blacklands Railroad. The president of the company informed me that Baldwin 2-6-2 #108 is in pieces waiting to be restored by the Robbins Rail Museum in AL. The Blacklands does not own the engine anymore, and it is still in Sulpher Springs awaiting this process. I personally think that it is a shame that a locomotive that was intact for the most part when purchased, is being left to sit awaiting a restoration 15 years in the waiting. I just purchased a postcard of #108 from Sulpher Springs, and the date is Dec 1999, just after purchase. It has a fence around it, the smoke stack is missing, the red identifier on the front is missing, and it looks like someone was trying to work on it.
  by Cowford

How often did it operate... main engine, 50/50 or was it a backup locomotive?
108 essentially alternated with 47 (7470) on a monthly rotation in the years she was in service, mechanical failures excepted. (In 1980, 47 was down for an extended period due to a piston ring-related failure.)
  by CSRR573

That car was up on the siding in bartlett for along time. I belive it its central new jersey like the open air car on the notch, on account of same shape of roof and trucks. Last winter when i was up there the car was sitting on the siding where the old MEC smoker car is.
  by merrman

If I remember correctly, that car was to be sold to another tourist railroad, and was brought to N Conway to be
shipped out. Apparently the deal was delayed or fell through, as the car went back to Bartlett to join the other
two. My guess is that the Notch coach for included for braking power.