• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR) -2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by b&m 1566

eman577 wrote:
b&m 1566 wrote:The two active crossings near Fabyans (Crawford Notch Rd/302 & Rose Brook Ln), were they activated for the transformer move or were they just flagged?
All crossing signals were activated. All unprotected crossings were flagged.
The reason I asked is because they have never activated those two crossing in the past for special moves outside of the regular operations to Fabyans. Does anyone know if the FRA required all the active crossings to be activated for this move or was it purely a decision made by the CSRR management?
  by Otto Vondrak

I made a grocery run into North Conway on Saturday and found the Schnabel car parked along the North-South Road. It was the only thing in sunlight, so I snapped a few pics and then hurried on my way to the grocery store.

The end.
  by b&m 1566

When did they send the Schnabel car and other related equipment back to Whitefield? Curious to know if they made a brief stop had Crawford’s.
  by Otto Vondrak

#7470 wrote:
eman577 wrote:Went back yesterday (Monday). No stop at Crawfords.
with what locomotive?
Everyone just got behind and pushed. :-)
  by b&m 1566

Nice the 4266 got in on some of the action.

Did they just recently reconfigure the track at Hazen? I noticed in the pictures the sharp "S" curve is gone and the track is strait. Can I assume that was done so the Schnabel car could safely switch over to the Mt. Division track? Was it just recently done as part of the tie replacement job or was done last year?
  by Dick H

There were tenative plans for a CSRR North Conway-Hazens-Groveton trip on August 9th. With just 38 days left until that date, it would seem that either the details for the trip could not be worked out, or it will be held at a later date. Most MBRRE trips have at least a 60 day lead time in order to get publicity, mailings, etc. carried out.
Despite having carried the PSNH transformer equipment over the NHCR line, perhaps it has been determined that the track conditions from Hazens to Groveton are unsuitable for passenger movments.

Anyone in the know on this situation?

Dick
  by merrman

BM 1566; there was no track reconfiguration. The shot you saw was probably on the NHCR side.

Dick, last I heard the August trip fell through. Not positive, but rumor was that Ed Jeffries was
not interested. I have not confirmed that however.
  by b&m 1566

merrman wrote:BM 1566; there was no track reconfiguration. The shot you saw was probably on the NHCR side.
So you’re telling me that the "S" curve is still there? The track (to me) in this picture looks pretty straight and new compared to this picture.

The conductor on the "Tour of the Line" in 2006 said the "S" curve at Hazen was too sharp to push the Carol P. Reed and the Dorothy Mae car through it without risking a derailment; I'm surprised the Schnabel car made it.
  by 44 tonner

Now, I have no knolge of this area, but looking at the pictures, under the depressed flatcar, you can see the switch, maybe its the same curve thta was there, just the car is so big thta you don't really notice it.
  by toolmaker

b&m 1566 wrote:
merrman wrote:BM 1566; there was no track reconfiguration. The shot you saw was probably on the NHCR side.
So you’re telling me that the "S" curve is still there? The track (to me) in this picture looks pretty straight and new compared to this picture.

The conductor on the "Tour of the Line" in 2006 said the "S" curve at Hazen was too sharp to push the Carol P. Reed and the Dorothy Mae car through it without risking a derailment; I'm surprised the Schnabel car made it.
Both pictures are on the same section of track before the "Y" at Hazens. The second picture the switch is out of view to the left.

Gary