• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by K4Pacific

Sorry about not seeing the LV. The NS Sayre turn out of Elmira comes into Sayre around 1300 weekdays with cars for LV, GE, and some MT salt for Ithaca. Sometimes the LV is there waiting at the Athens end of the yard. Sometimes it's not. Keep trying. It's an intersting experience when you have the Ithaca job going on duty at the same time the Sayre turn arrives and works, plus the LV on the south end. Enjoy.
  by thannon

The Lehigh came up late (for them) today, around 17:00. One U23B and a long string of covered hoppers and boxcars.

As per usual- a quick drop and they picked up the exchange from the NS and headed back within about 1/2 hour.

Hi Tom. You insured my parents for a long time.
  by Jwerk

Hey guys,

I just found this forum and I must say that I am estatic to see that the LRWY is back in operation in my old stomping grounds! I was born and raised in Sayre (Milltown, actually) and worked (albeit briefly) for the old LVRR. My father and both of my older brothers also toiled for the "Leaky Valve" and one of them is still railroading for the NS after all these years. It does my heart good to see this particular stretch of the line back under local control as this portion of track was where I cut my teeth as a Gandy Dancer (temporary seasonal) earning college money in the summer of 74'. I currently live in Orlando, FL and am a member of the local NTrak club ( http://www.trainweb.org/orlandontrak/clublayout.htm ) that is currently rebuilding the layout to represent the fictional Lehigh Monongahelia and Ohio RR. I like to replicate the LV gear in general and the diesels in particular as the myriad paint schemes over the years pose a challange to get just right. I haven't seen any recent posts and was wondering what is up with the new line and hoping all is going well. Also, I have a couple of N scale U23b's that I am itching to paint in the new black scheme. Any photos showing greater detail of these two fine machines would be greatly appreciated as well as any updates on the RR itself.

Thanks all,

Jeff
  by scottychaos

Jeff,
welcome to the forum!
lots of friendly LV fans here..including a few former LV employees such as yourself! :P
Jwerk wrote: Any photos showing greater detail of these two fine machines would be greatly appreciated as well as any updates on the RR itself.

Thanks all,

Jeff
well..since you asked! :P

I stopped by Towanda on May 5, 2009...
I hadnt been there in 22 years..not since my Grandfather passed away in 1987..
(my grandparents lived on State st. in Towanda..up on top of the big hill..we drove there all the time when I was kid.)
but I just havent taken to the time to drive south of Athens since then..it just hasnt come up..
but I had some time to kill while visiting my family in Waverly, so I took a drive down! :P

the TMSL switcher was locked up inside its enginehouse for the day, but I managed to catch the Lehigh Railway units..

Scot
  by Jwerk

Thanks Scott,

These units look great and the photos will be mucho helpful for detailing purposes. The basic black is an easy enough paint job and the decals shouldn't pose a problem to replicate. I'll have these babies up and representing on our local LM&O in no time. I hope to be back in the valley this fall for a wedding so I'll be sure to make some time for a run down the line to check things out. Thanks again Scott!

J W
  by clifford1

Great shots Scott. My brother and I were in Towanda/Sayre this past week and got some shots of the LRWY in Sayre/Athens but couldn't catch them behind the "Sylvania" plant in Towanda. Did get some of the TMSL in Towanda however! I will get some ready to post here and share with everyone.

Also Scott - I happen to know first hand that Railpace is VERY interested in shots of the LRWY on the road between Sayre and Mahoopany - you may want to consider submitting some of your shots ASAP for possible publication. My shot in Sayre were nice, but they really wanted some along the road. Your Towanda shots may be what they are looking for.

Chris Chamberlain.
  by Jwerk

I concur Scot, these are some great shots (I see my track maintenance from the 70's is still holding up well, ha ha)! You really should submit them.

J W
  by setaf

Wow, this thread sure dried up. I hear the TMSL has been sold to RN. Lots of gas well business is coming, rebuilding the old siding in Wyalusing for sand hoppers and same said to be happening on the TMSL as well as pipe loads.
  by bwparker1

setaf wrote:Wow, this thread sure dried up. I hear the TMSL has been sold to RN. Lots of gas well business is coming, rebuilding the old siding in Wyalusing for sand hoppers and same said to be happening on the TMSL as well as pipe loads.
That's interesting about the TMSL, thanks for the report. - BWP
  by clifford1

Wow - this is big news for the TMSL. I'll be interested in hearing more as it comes out!!
  by pumpers

Does R&N get any trackage rights from its northern end (Mehoopany?) to Towanda to move loads in/out from TMSL to the rest of the R&N and its connections? JS
  by K4Pacific

R&N was supposed to get the Lehich Secondary to Sayre for Interchange until the NS assumption of CR in 1999. It truly was in the works.
  by thannon

LVRY 2304 with six cars this Wednesday morning (11:30).
  by scottychaos

Reading & Northern power has arrived in Towanda..
Steve Hall of Towanda sent me these pics yesterday and said I could post them to the forums..
Steve spotted R&N EMD SW8 number 802 outside the TMSL engine house.
thanks Steve!

He also forwarded a local newspaper article:

http://thedailyreview.com/news/reading- ... e-1.528078

R&N 802 isnt just *any* SW8!
She also happens to be Lehigh Valley 253! :P
back on home rails.
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_lv253.jpg

thanks for the pics and info Steve!

Scot