• Sanford & Eastern Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Railcar

Does anyone have the pictures for correct markings for the Sanford and Eastern RR? I'm thinking SERR but I can not find any photos.
  by NHN503

Now what would you need these for?... *wink* *wink*

BTW can you get the welder down to the shop? I'm ready do so quite a bit on the A5.
  by Otto Vondrak

Railcar wrote:Does anyone have the pictures for correct markings for the Sanford and Eastern RR? I'm thinking SERR but I can not find any photos.
What is the Sanford & Eastern? Are you looking for reporting marks? Or how equipment was decorated/painted?
  by SLR 393

They took over part of the old B&M run from westbrook, ME down through Gorham, Sanford, etc. They kept their power in Springvale, part of Sanford. Pinsley line. Long gone but most of the ROW is still around if you drive the route, and around Sanford its preserved as trails now.
  by NHN503

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Railcar wrote:Does anyone have the pictures for correct markings for the Sanford and Eastern RR? I'm thinking SERR but I can not find any photos.
What is the Sanford & Eastern? Are you looking for reporting marks? Or how equipment was decorated/painted?
Reporting marks....we already know how the equipment was decorated/painted :wink:

Its to finish off this project....2 MT14D's owned by fellow CVRTC members Bill and Harvey.

by merrman

It appears that the reporting mark system was phased in over a period of decades, and there does
not appear to be an official implementation date recorded where it can be accessed. A search of
a few historical databases reveal no marks for S&E, although some other Pinsly lines are listed.

I suspect the S&E fell through the cracks, or their equipment bore the marks of another Pinsly
holding, even if some of it was labeled Sanford & Eastern.

Gary Carlson's book, "New England Short Lines in Color" gives the reporting marks as SE, but no
indication of these marks being issued prior to 1975 seems to exist.

As for MOW equipment, I'm not sure the SE ever even had motorcars, but that's just conjecture on
my part.
  by TomNelligan

I don't know when exactly the AAR reporting mark system came into use, but it definitely predates the 1950s so it would have included the Sanfordf & Eastern's lifespan, assuming that the S&E had equipment that was used in interchange service. Since ampersands weren't used in reporting marks, SE would have been the logical choice.

Is that an actual S&E motorcar or just some railfan's idea of what one would have looked like?
  by Otto Vondrak

TomNelligan wrote:I don't know when exactly the AAR reporting mark system came into use, but it definitely predates the 1950s so it would have included the Sanfordf & Eastern's lifespan, assuming that the S&E had equipment that was used in interchange service. Since ampersands weren't used in reporting marks, SE would have been the logical choice.

AAR database shows SE already taken...

SE *FERROCARRILES UNIDOS DEL SURESTE
SE +SEMO PORT RAILROAD INCORPORATED

"SE" could have been Sanford & Eastern, and the marks were reassigned (noted by asterix and plus sign).
  by NHN503

There we never any S&E motorcars painted like this, they are just homages to the road. If the S&E had any motorcars they were most likely el basico belt driven M19's or M14's.

I did find this photo from 1957 that has the whole road name spelled out and then the road number with no other reporting marks.
http://www.nyysa.com/archive/images/1/3/3918-0.jpg
  by Railcar

Thanks alot to all for the info. Ian is correct on the "why". Rides are available on an open seat basis. Chances are better for empty seats on one of my "A" cars. We worked of a few old photos. We found no history of any speeders supporting this line. I live about a mile from the old ROW so I thought something close to home might be fun. There are still a few old mileposts last I checked. There are two of these speeders ....sisters if you like. One is 63 and one is 51. (the numbers are our fire department call signs) They came from the ONR, Canada. Huge resto job. http://picasaweb.google.com/railcar42
  by Mattydred

Here's a David Johnson photo circa 1954 of S&E's 44-Ton Number 18 (formerly Suncook Valley No. 3)that I scanned from The Blueberry Express.

Much of this old, majestic route in the East Rochester area is disappearing. Development constantly encroaches or overruns the old RoW. From Lebanon, ME points east, much of the RoW is accessible by light-impact hiking. It still seems odd that such an grand old, Trans-New England route would die out almost entirely. Sorry about the tangent.
  by highgreen1

There's a beautiful surviving depot at Gorham, ME
  by Railcar

Thanks again to everyone. I picked up alot of info I did not have. I'm getting ready to restore a Fairmont A-6 (Ex CP 1700-12) any suggestions on a RR to bring back? Maybe a new thread to start? I already have a A-4 car that I restored, CP7700-44 Heavy Haul US (ex soo)
  by charding

Isn't the station in Gorham a brewpub, the Sebago Brewing Co - great way to preserve a station and quench a thirst. Colin Harding