• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by g-and-u-watcher

Hi all -

I just drove by Hopedale today, and they've knocked down the engine house! A pile of rubble remains. It looks like there's a good bit of construction vehicle activity in that general area, including the old Wickes building.

I'll post a photo later tonight.
  by slashmaster

Interesting they would do that during the coldest time of year. Have they been doing work anywhere else on the line in the cold like that?
  by CVRA7

Well, maybe the crew that would do the trackwork have been given something else to do (tearing down the old shop) until
the ground thaws out in a month or so. Trackwork and frozen dirt don't mix.
Now that all this destruction at Hopedale has taken place it will be interesting to see what will happen next - so far, from what
I can see, it's been all "destructive" and nothing "constructive" done south of the current end of operations except for the brush cutting.
  by g-and-u-watcher

g-and-u-watcher wrote:I'll post a photo later tonight.
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier. Even though SkiScorcher already found some photos online, here are mine, both taken from the end of Depot St. behind the Hopedale public works buildings.

Pile of rubble where engine house used to be:
http://www.p-vector.com/g-and-u/IMG_5650.JPG

Activity by old Wickes building:
http://www.p-vector.com/g-and-u/IMG_5651.JPG
  by SkiScorcher88

Despite all the destruction thats happened, I have to say... I would have never expected that property to look so big! When I first visited the yard it seemed so small, especially with all the junk and trees covering the place. Now it seams like they could fit a pretty decent operation there. I hope they knock down that white shed behind the old engine house. It doesn't seem to have a clear purpose and would open up the yard even more!

Also, in g-and-u-watcher's 2nd photo, it looks like there are a bunch of workers in front of the old Wickes building/foundry.
Has anyone had a chance to speak with them and find out whats going on?
  by Cosmo

Well, it's pretty much a cinch what's going on.
Mr Priscoli's no dummy. He's in this for the long run and knows not to plan or expect anything to happen overnight.
The crews are doing what they can now as is appropriate to the season as G&UWatcher said. So, right now they are clearing space to prepare for whatever operation will eventually take place here. FWIH, it'll be a transload of some kind.
Once the thaw sets in I belive we'll see more construction than destruction. :wink:
  by svobronco

I was taking the scenic route along RT 4 thru Grafton NH the other day and was surprised to see a semi trailer on the side of the road in someones' front yard with a G&U logo on the front wall. At least 1 piece has escaped the relentless scrappers. I wish I had taken a photo. I'll get it next time.

Greg
  by atsf sp

Is 212 kept close to the CSX interchange? Meaning is it ussually visible from the B&A mainline?
  by QB 52.32

atsf sp wrote:Is 212 kept close to the CSX interchange? Meaning is it ussually visible from the B&A mainline?
No, it is kept down at the Washington Mills plant and is not visible from the B&A.
  by frrc

[DELETED]
Last edited by frrc on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by SkiScorcher88

frrc wrote:IMHO the original G&U logo is far superior to the new "logo"...
Earlier this summer I saw a magnet on someone's fridge with the 'new' G&U logo on it. It was some sort of advertisement logo for railroad safety in Massachusetts. I've looked all over the internet for the new logo, but was unable to find it. Next time I'm at that person's house I'll take a picture of the magnet and post it online. The G&U seems to have completely ripped it off, as it is identical.
  by KEN PATRICK

the clean railroads act of 2008 puts an end to local opposition . the wording 'on or behalf' of a railroad would permit the brt to file a 'land use permit exemption'. i'm sure the g&u folk are on top of this. the stb has the' rules 'review period ending 2/28. the cra also provides for 'wastes' . the g&u is in a good position to market waste-by-rail. ken patrick