• Grafton & Upton Railroad (G&U) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by slashmaster

Those new pix are great! I didn't know they put up a couple of signs at the end of North Grafton yard, wonder what they mean? What happens now when you try to use IE for it?
  by SkiScorcher88

So I finally got around to throwing together the footage I gathered last week of the MOW equipment.
The clips of the Komatsu Power Shovel can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WEiWHg6Fk
and the Ballast Regulator (aka: dirt plow) can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33-rI203Y5Q
Enjoy.
  by slashmaster

Those video's are great! I didn't know the side blades on the regulator could move in so many different ways. He's really revving that thing high! Makes me wonder if he'll blow the motor or wear it out before he's finished?
  by BSRR

slashmaster wrote:Those video's are great! I didn't know the side blades on the regulator could move in so many different ways. He's really revving that thing high! Makes me wonder if he'll blow the motor or wear it out before he's finished?
Detroits like to run at max throttle. It will take alot more abuse than that to kill it.
  by slashmaster

Can anyone figure this out? I went to the Hopedale yard today and they removed the mainline from about the engine house to a bit past the scale. At least that's what I could see they removed. Can anyone figure out why? There were 2 switches that didn't go anywhere that were removed. I know the scale had water in the pit, could it be the water weekend it so it can't support trains now and they have to dig it all out, fill with dirt and replace with regular track? Really makes me wonder about those switches too, wouldn't it have been easier to just pull up the rails and relay with straight rails? Could it be the track isn't ever going to be put back?
  by hopedale1985

I drove by the end of the G&U in Milford by the Milford Highway Dept. today and noticed that the rails are showing through the snow all the way to the end of the Milford yard where it meets the street as if a train came through there. I didn't know any trains serviced that area. Any idea what this is from?
  by railman616

It was tons of fun on Monday night running to the run - around with 2 cars for BlueLinks. We also had to dig to all the switches. We did deliver cars to all the customers on the line. Fun ride being the first through the snow.
  by slashmaster

railman616 wrote:It was tons of fun on Monday night running to the run - around with 2 cars for BlueLinks. We also had to dig to all the switches. We did deliver cars to all the customers on the line. Fun ride being the first through the snow.
Ah, so you guys are the ones who deliver and take cars from the G&U and everyone else on the CSX mainline? Where do you guys start and where do you end when you do that run?
  by hrcoleman3

Where is BlueLinks located? I too would love to know when CSX services this area and see them in action, thanks for the heads up...
  by railman616

This is the afternoon Walpole job wp21 b736 on duty at 3:00pm Sunday thru Thursday and runs west after the 3:50 commuter comes east. Services 3 customers Garelick, BlueLinks and a Sand customer can't remember the name. We do not interchange with the G&U on this line. No connecting tracks. Lines end at Central St. That is done off of the B&A at Grafton by B722 & B723 out of Framingham. Garelick & Bluelicks are just west of Forge Park. The Sand is 1 miles east of Milford.
  by Cosmo

Wow.... Garelick (as in Garelick Farms?) gets transrail shipments? Right on!
I guess New England local industries arent completely dead after all!
  by railman616

Garelick gets plastic pellet hoppers for milk bottles.
  by SkiScorcher88

Just checked out some stuff on the G&U today.
It doesn't look like the ballast regulator has been run in a long time (they havn't even made it to Old Upton Rd. in Grafton yet). Also, off the south side of Old Upton Rd. I walked the tracks and noticed a stream running down the middle from all melting snow runoff (similar to the wetlands problem last spring near the Upton paintball field).
Also in Upton they flattened out a lot of ballast between Glen Ave and Hartford Ave. It looks great! I'll post some pictures in the next week or so after I visit Hopedale.
  by QB 52.32

railman616 wrote:This is the afternoon Walpole job wp21 b736 on duty at 3:00pm Sunday thru Thursday and runs west after the 3:50 commuter comes east. Services 3 customers Garelick, BlueLinks and a Sand customer can't remember the name.
That sand customer is St. Gobain, maker of glass bottles....for customers like Budweiser up in Merrimack, NH.