• I'm a youngin- chances of hiring into train service?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by conductbud64

The Tulsa job closes at midnight today, and the Ada job closes on the 20th. It will be at least a week or two until you here anything about the Tulsa job.
  by ryan74701

i see! well it keeps saying "extension doc not allowed" when i try to attached my resume, hmm i guess ill copy and paste it!, please give me some pointers on how to improve it.
ill edit out the numbers and address for all of yall weirdys ;) haha i presently work at the bank at night just a 8pm to 12 am gig, get paid for full time and im only there a couple hours, and work during the day with my dad.

Durant, OK 74701
Cell- 580-***-****
Ryan McCarthy

Experience
McCarthy Construction and Landscaping
2000-present
Laborer/Supervisor
-Framing
- laying foundations, side walks, etc.
-Clearing grounds
- experience with small to heavy equipment
- molding specific area to meet clients needs
-Roofing
- familiar with OSHA regulations
- experience with portable ladders and scaffolds
-Managing help
- managing onsite inventory
- working out schedules

Licensed by the State of Oklahoma to sale Life and Health Insurance.
2006-present First United Bank Durant, OK
Night IT Technician
Run nightly updates
Print bank statements

2006-2006 (holiday season) United Parcel Service Sherman, TX
Driver Helper
Helped Driver with all aspects of daily operations.

2004-2006 Salitas Durant, OK
Waiter

Education
2002-2006 Durant High School Durant, OK
2005-2006 Grayson County College Denison, TX
2005-2007 Southeastern Oklahoma State University Durant, OK

References
Jerry Dowling VICA Teacher 580-920-****
Jason Franks Salitas Manager 580-760-****
Calvin Mayhew VP First United Bank 580-924-****
Robert McCarthy Boss 580-931-****
  by conductbud64

Put something on the resume like you are the McCarthy Construction and Landscaping Safety Program manager, you conducted daily job safety briefings, trained new personnel on proper wear/use of safety equipment, ect. You have to really play up SAFETY.

Be sure you fill out the on-line application and self identification survey. At the testing/interview session they only use the online application not the resume.
I guess the resume gets you in for the testing session, then they only use what is on the on-line application the rest of the way.
  by csxt43

i don't know that i would put something on my resume that wasn't true. if you weren't the safety officer, don't put it. if they find out you lied, you're application becomes a history lesson. what you can include is something along the lines of "during the course of your daily duties you utilized all proper safety devices and procedures and encouraged others to do the same."

my resume was similar to yours in that when i applied i had insurance sales and landscaping experience. if you're looking for suggestions, you may consider removing the waiter job. you don't want to have too many jobs on your resume as they do look at how many jobs you have had as well as how you long you lasted at them. plus it is sort of irrelevant as far as getting a conductors' position on a railroad. the construction job shows you have experience with a labor job and working in the outdoors. being licensed as a life producer shows your iniative to take on and tackle a challenge (trust me i've studied for those test). that, along with your college experience shows that you can learn new things. the ups job is expereince with transportation. just my two cents
  by conductbud64

Sorry it was late last night and I left off some of my info. This was my thinking, but I didn't type it all yesterday, so here it goes. He works for a family business, so have your father or whoever owns the business to appoint you the Safety guy and make some safety briefings, tell people how to wear their safety gear.

Ryan send me a private message with your email address and I will send you "the Bible" on landing a RR job. The above advice was from the "Bible"
  by ryan74701

Thanks guys for all the help, yeah i tried the whole selling insurance thing and i hated it honestly, and the licensing test is hard, passed it on my second try and felt like i could pass any test after passing that one lol i have a new found respect for people who are in sales especially insurance, but once you make it in that business you are set for life... im going to go edit my resume now!
  by ryan74701

Still nothing, i did recieve emails from the tulsa and enid, ok track laborer positions telling me i suck! haha i very courteosly emailed the recruiter and asked why my application was so disqualifiying and he said that they recieved hundreds of apps and some were very very qualified, its okay, i'll sit back and wait for my signal worker nonacceptance emails. lol :P i wonder what the hiring rate is for people who attend nars for just signal worker and diesel electrician training? hmmm
  by ryan74701

i recieved my emails for the signal worker position in ada, denied! im never getting a interview they were hiring 6 people and i applied the day they were posted, my confidence in getting a job is deminishing! :)
  by ryan74701

Yay! got a email inviting me to the job preview and test, for the track laborer in ada, ok! im pretty excited, so how hard is The Realistic Job Preview & Testing session??
and i have a question about that job employment background, since the whole time ive worked for the family, ive always been paid under the table so to speak, so it cant be varified on a background check, should i tell them that, or should i just leave it off my application when we correct them at the orientation?
  by superbad

I am in the same boat, 26 year old college graduate applying for jobs at the bottom, they almost immediately come back as "better qualified candidates" in reality I think that its not even reaching the eyes of an actual person and is being booted out automatically by a computer. I am presently blitzing amtrak for anything and everything entry level in hopes I get a call for at least one of them.
  by ryan74701

yeah, the best thing to do is just blow the tests out of the water and really put your self out there, you have to sale yourself to the interviewer, stress that you love working outside, and you have exp with odd ball hours, really make it sound like they NEED you and that you are EVERYTHING they want in a employee without being to cynical or "im to good" for you kind of way lol, well atleast thats my strategy. I'm going straight up not b.s. the interviewer and tell him what kind of person i am and what i have to offer, if stretching a few of the answers to some of the questions they are going to ask me to make myself sound more hireable then so be it.
  by ryan74701

well that interview went very well to me, there were 40 guys at this hiring secession and 10 spots open, alot of people wore blue jeans and a hat which really pissed me off, i think i was the only person in there with slacks on, this is a pre interview and some people still wore jeans and a hat the next day to the one on one interviews, its just very unprofessional to me, good thing i had a woman interview me! :p If i do not recieve a conditional offer for a position it will be bc ive had 3 speeding tickets, but only one is on my record until this april, and i have no points on my license. i guess we'll see what happens im sure if i get the job i will know by the end of this week or the next, im not going to get my hopes up though there were alot of cowboy type guys in there lol and i wont get hired bc i look to much like a white collar worker! haha
  by ryan74701

well i got that dreaded "not selected" email, but it did say i was picked as a alternate, idk if they say that to everyone they dont select or what.. but who knows! :)
  by ryan74701

sorry for bring this post back from the dead, now im 22, and i just received my phone call from UP inviting me to an hiring interview july 27th in corpus cristi for track labor, what is the job outlook for the rail road industry right now? and i got a ticket 2 months ago for going ten over but i had it deferred, should i be up front about that? and what is the work life style like for someone working as a track laborer? thanks! :)