• I'm a youngin- chances of hiring into train service?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by slchub

Agreed! I doubt the degree has anything to do with it. I know several RR'ers with Masters and from all walks of life.

I also know many out of work people with college degrees as well. So, yes, you can work for the RR in the Operations arena with a degree. Who knows, someday you may want to rise into the ranks of (GASP!) mgt. and you will be prepared to do so.

Good luck.
  by gp80mac

I know a conductor that has an astrophysics degree. Does the New York Times crossword all the time in the office.

I'm a brakeman and have a 4 year degree (not in astrophysics though...and I'm lucky to be able to do the Jumble.) And yes, I also have plans to go back and get my masters (along with 99% of all RRers with 4-year degrees).
  by Jtgshu

gp80mac wrote:I know a conductor that has an astrophysics degree. Does the New York Times crossword all the time in the office.

I'm a brakeman and have a 4 year degree (not in astrophysics though...and I'm lucky to be able to do the Jumble.) And yes, I also have plans to go back and get my masters (along with 99% of all RRers with 4-year degrees).
You can do the jumble? Dang - I can barely do the word find! And crossword puzzles? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :)
  by ryan74701

an update.

I'm still trying ive applied for all the new bnsf jobs that were posted yesterday that are in oklahoma. ;/
lets hope there is some luck i might get a email or a call!
  by ryan74701

haha yeah here in durant!, i applied for the postion in tulsa and ada they need 2 in tulsa and 6 in ada! i hope i get a more positive email and not the "we ve found a more qualified individual" should i paste my resume so i can get some opinions on what i should change? is applying earlier the better, those jobs were posted on the 7th of jan and i applied on the 8th, will i have a better chance?
  by conductbud64

Post your resume if you want, it can't hurt to have a few people look at it. I interviewed last Nov for Conductor in Tulsa. Brush up on your basic math skills, think safety. If the Ada job started after the Tulsa job, I would apply there too. But it is the other way around.
  by Engineer Spike

College is a plus.It shows that you can commit to something long term. You should play up your experience in the construction field. Tell them about shingling a roof at 100 degrees, and all of the other points that show hard physical work in extreme conditions. One other point is safety. Railroads eat this up. Talk about what you have done to make things safer for your family's employees. Mention if you have done things to comply with OSHA regulations. Talk about your PPE; hard hats, and fall restraints while on scaffolds.
  by ryan74701

Thanks guys, yeah i have about 45 credits in safety classes at sosu (was going for a degree in occupation safety and health), i'll upload my resume tomorrow at work!
  by Portugal316

Amtrak is hiring plenty on the Northeast Corridor out of Washington and NY. If relocation for you is no problem i would suggest doing that because they are hiring massavily and will continue to do so. It would be a great opportunity and the money is fantastic. Good Luck