• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Mountcastle

I've been referred to this thread by an administrator. In reading over the CSRR's website there's mention of an issue with the operability of the 7470 steam engine. Has that been resolved? I want to take a trip there next season, but not if the steam engine won't be running.
  by Otto Vondrak

Here's a link to the latest "Wheel Report."

http://conwayscenic.com/index.cfm?fusea ... heelreport
Don’t forget about our STEAM IN THE SNOW train sponsored by the Mass Bay Railroad Enthusiasts coming up on January 3rd . Tickets are still available from Mass Bay. The evening of the 3rd, Lerro Productions will be holding a night photo session in North Conway which members of the public may attend by making arraignments with Lerro. On Sunday the 4th, Lerro Productions has chartered #7470 to pull a photo freight between North Conway and Sawyers River. Check out specific information about Lerro and Conway Scenic here.
-otto-
  by Mikejf

eman577 wrote:Keep in mind that CSRR does not own 4266 or 4268. Both are owned by the 470 Club.Trains going up the Notch usually have 2 powered units as a precaution
since it takes so long for help to arrive if a unit dies.
I was thinking more like the valley train, where only one locomotive is used. I'm just aying it would be great to see those two coupled up together pulling a train.
Mike
  by 44 tonner

miketrainnut wrote:
eman577 wrote:Keep in mind that CSRR does not own 4266 or 4268. Both are owned by the 470 Club.Trains going up the Notch usually have 2 powered units as a precaution
since it takes so long for help to arrive if a unit dies.
I was thinking more like the valley train, where only one locomotive is used. I'm just aying it would be great to see those two coupled up together pulling a train.
Mike
That would be a cool sight, yes, but you have to think of other factors, if there was enough room to run-around at conway, (there is most likely.)
  by masscoastalfan

I got my tickets for Steamin inthe snow today. it says they are going all the way to Notchland and the train will be 5 cars long this year. the 573 will lead north the 7470 south.
  by eman577

Running 2 units on the valley train presents length problems. In order to clear 6 cars, the power would
have to pull out onto the crossing with the lead unit and stop to uncouple. This means that the train
would have to stop once at the edge of the crossing and wait 20 seconds after the crossing protection
activated, then pull ahead and stop again to uncouple. Also would take extra time for the engineer to
swap ends at Conway, that the schedule does not allow for.
  by p42thedowneaster

The B&M sisters in a set would be really great to see!

Even better...[4266 - 4268 - 573] as a triple. That solves the multiple power-unit problem on the notch! And...4268 doesn't need to be an active cab..she just comes along for the ride and looks pretty.

In the valley, the B&M sisters might face the same problems that the CNL sisters face when they power the valley train in its "full" set. With 2 engines it makes it more difficult to fit at the stations. The problem is particularly rough in Bartlett where the east-end coupling occurs on a slight curve. To make the move smooth, I think they would have to block Bear Notch road before uncoupling from the west end.
  by b&m 1566

eman577 wrote:Trains going up the Notch usually have 2 powered units as a precaution
since it takes so long for help to arrive if a unit dies. Therefor a control cab would
be of very little use.
Though, that is a bonus it’s not the reason for the two engines on the notch train. F units aren't really made for pulling a train in reverse. The engineer would have to either stick his head out the window or look in the side mirrors, neither one is safe or practical for a 2 hour trip from N. Conway to Crawford’s, visibility for the engineer is the reason why you have two engines on the notch train. When the 2820 was running, it powered the notch on its own, only to be accompanied by one of the sisters a few times; for reason unknown. The 573 also powered the Notch train by itself on at least one account that I know of, which took place in the summer of 2007.
eman577 wrote:Running 2 units on the valley train presents length problems. In order to clear 6 cars, the power would
have to pull out onto the crossing with the lead unit and stop to uncouple. This means that the train
would have to stop once at the edge of the crossing and wait 20 seconds after the crossing protection
activated, then pull ahead and stop again to uncouple. Also would take extra time for the engineer to
swap ends at Conway, that the schedule does not allow for.
The original plan for the 4268 was to be used as a cab unit for south bound trains while the operating engine would push on the other end; just like the Downeaster. Two obstacles in the way which ultimately killed the idea: 1) 4268 would have needed weights installed in it so it wouldn't ride so high. 2) All the cars would have needed to be equipped with all the gadgets so the engineer could control the running engine at the opposite end. The idea was to eliminate the engine switching ends at Conway which would have made the ride about 10 to 15 minutes shorter. This all was in the planning stages in the early to mid 80's long before Bartlett and Notch train service even started.
  by eriemike

Here are some pictures that will make you pine for warmer weather. These were taken during the Railfan Weekend this past Fall. Have a Happy and Safe Holidays :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by 44 tonner

some day, maybe, the rails will stretch down again, lol. :-D One can only dream :-)
  by p42thedowneaster

44 toner wrote:some day, maybe, the rails will stretch down again, lol. :-D One can only dream :-)
Keep buying those Powerball tickets! :-D
  by p42thedowneaster

Oh good point haha.

Which excursion would be better...?
North Conway to Portland ME -OR- North Conway to Dover NH.

After seeing 1055 travel up to the NCRR, I wonder, will there ever be an excursion from N Conway all the way to the SLR interchange?
  by CN9634

Did anyone read the latest "Tracks with a View"? Its a pretty good issue talking about the new dinning car, the RDC trips, and a possible freight move over the CSRR! I'm assuming its a possible freight move as the last page talks about the CSRR plow train went through to Whitefield followed by a Hi-Rail which followed "in order to profile the Notch Line for possible transfer of several large transformers in the Spring of 2009." I don't know if this has been brought up before in this topic and if it has sorry for bringing up old news but this could be a pretty cool photo op! Has any freight moves ever occured over the CSRR and does anyone know if they have considered moving freight before?

Heres the newsletter: http://www.conwayscenic.com/index.cfm?f ... newsletter