• stations that could use Renovations

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Raritan Express

I thought I read somewhere that they're building high level platforms at Somerville. Also, most stations could use some extra TVMs.
  by R36 Combine Coach

transit383 wrote:
Woodcrest295 wrote:Boonton needs alot of work... its a dump. so does Lake Hopatcong (very faded glory), anything in Hackensack, Elizabeth, and Hoboken need high level platforms some how.
Oh now what's so wrong with the brick shack at Boonton? I love the sign posted on the side, above the spigot, that says "DANGER! WATER IS NOT SAFE TO DRINK".

The old station structure there could use some work... does NJT even own it?
The old Boonton station is now under private ownership. The circa 1995 new brick headhouse fits in line with the recent modern brick houses at other Boonton Line stations, including Montclair Heights and Hackettstown. In 1998-99 Towaco's new station house was a rebuilt recreation of the 1911 original.
  by cruiser939

Does anyone else find threads started by NJTArrow2 to be particularly asinine and in desperate need of spell check?
  by sixty-six

cruiser939 wrote:Does anyone else find threads started by NJTArrow2 to be particularly asinine and in desperate need of spell check?
Thats not nice! Your tone of voice could use some serious Rentovations. :-D
  by Jtgshu

I don't like your tone of type!!!

HAHHAHAH :wink:
  by ScottTheNiceGuy

radioboy wrote:Why waste money on a station building at Bay Head? There's nowhere near high enough use to justify it.
I say build a platform going into the yard and realign Osborne Ave to bow a bit to the north to where the 'old station' used to be.
  by SomervilleRailfan

Raritan Express wrote:I thought I read somewhere that they're building high level platforms at Somerville. Also, most stations could use some extra TVMs.
It's on the drawing boards, but I haven't seen anything that says when they plan to start construction.

I really wish they could take the existing two buildings at track level -- one's a storage shed now, the other is a ticket office/waiting room that closes at 11 a.m. weekdays and is never open on weekends -- and turn them into something the passengers could use full time. Unfortunately, the original station building is now a lawyers office.
  by sullivan1985

cruiser939 wrote:Does anyone else find threads started by NJTArrow2 to be particularly asinine and in desperate need of spell check?
I think Arrow2 should be appointed by the state as NJ Transits new Executive Director.
  by cruiser939

sullivan1985 wrote:
I think Arrow2 should be appointed by the state as NJ Transits new Executive Director.
That might not be such a bad idea. I know a bunch of coworkers who would love to take a 2 hour "exspress" train from Bay Head to Newark.
  by Kaback9

sullivan1985 wrote:
ahahahahahaha.

back OT:

Bound Brook the Newark Bound Side could use alot of work. I don't know if they could redo the resturant side since I don't think they own it.
  by sullivan1985

Rutherford is currently being completly restored. I have to say, it loos damn good too.

Hawthorne is getting new asphault platforms.

Maplewood just recently had the Trk 2 Platform fixed up a bit.

Kingsland and Lyndhusrt are just sorry stations that need to be either completely restored (which they won't) or closed and finally have that new centralized new Lyndhurst Station built (which might happen).

Garfield and Plauderville are a joke, but recently some ground has been tagged off next to Out Water Lane on the Trk 2 side (right next to the new parking lot) which looks like its marking off underground cables. Possibly a new location for Plauderville Station in the future?

Now to respond to the first post:
NJTArrow2 wrote:I think the following stations should be Rentovated:
Red Bank
South Amboy
Murray Hill
Kingsland
Hacketstown notes: Give a Station building.
Bloomfield
Bay Head notes:Give a station building.
Long Branch
Red Bank recently had High Platforms installed. The station building may not belong to the railroad so there is very little NJ Transit can do in that case.

South Amboy is currently being completely reconfigured.

Murray Hill if anything could use a little TLC.

Kingsland: See above.

Hackettstown does not need a station building. It has almost no train service and a very small crowd of ridership daily.

Bloomfield just had a waiting room opened on the Trk 2 side. The rest of the structure is privately owned so NJ Transit has no say on what happens.

Bay Head: Why for so little ridership. It's not like the train going east shows up late and stands you in the cold for 3 hours. They come right from the yard.

Long Branch could use some TLC.
  by Kaback9

I don't understand how Bayhead could be on that list. I have seen trains skip the station manytimes. If you live that far from NY chances are your not commuting by train or even commuting to NY.
  by sullivan1985

Kaback9 wrote:If you live that far from NY chances are your not commuting by train or even commuting to NY.
You would be surprised. People ride all 90 miles of the Southern Tier every day don't they?
  by Kaback9

sullivan1985 wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:If you live that far from NY chances are your not commuting by train or even commuting to NY.
You would be surprised. People ride all 90 miles of the Southern Tier every day don't they?
True but when people can drive over to Toms River for a more direct bus I think they rather do that.
  by Tri-State Tom

sully -
Bloomfield just had a waiting room opened on the Trk 2 side. The rest of the structure is privately owned so NJ Transit has no say on what happens.
I thought NJT owned the main station building and had in the past rented out the ex-waiting room at ground level, no ? AIR, that area has been vacant for about 7-8 years now.

In addition to the renovation/reopening of the eastbound waiting room, NJT also repaired both platforms, renovated both canopies, installed new platform lighting and repaired access roads/paths along with brush removal/grounds housekeeping within the property.