• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Otto Vondrak

dbblac01 wrote:I applied for an assistant signal worker for csx and had an interview. The application status went to hold for about a month and now it says interview? What does this mean, will I have to interview again?
Probably the same thing it meant for everyone else who asked the exact same question...
  by rompy1970

Well come to find out the courier DHL never delivered my job packet. The day after I talked with HR is when they informed me of this and offered me the job. Now I have a huge decision to make between NS and CSX. I have passed my background and physical with NS now I just have to do the one with CSX and then it is decision time.
  by yubtrpn

Well, I've definitely seen a lot of questions in this forum concerning how long it takes, or can take to hear anything back during the hiring process. I know I've had my share too. I figured I'd post my personal timeline for the hiring process for anyone who might be interested.

Application submitted May 6, 2008

June 3rd, recieved an email inviting me to an interview session.

Attended interview session on June 11.

Approximately 7 days later I recieved an email stating I was not selected for the position. (trackworker)

2 days later I recieved a phone call and was offered the position. I was told the email was a mistake.

June 25th, I had my physical and strength test completed.

Between the beginning of August and into September I still had heard nothing so I began contacting CSX myself to try and find out anything. Everyone I spoke with was friendly and seemed to be trying their best to help but this was very frustrating. After about a month I finally made some headway and spoke with the right people.

September 8th, I got the call saying that I would be starting class at the REDI center on September 29th.
  by Burner

Never thought about it but here is mine:

Early Jan I applied for train service.
Mid Jan I attended an interview session (48 hours notice for session). Was called later that day and told I was accepted to start and recieved a conditional job offer.
Mid Feb I had physical and strength tests
Mid March I started (3 weeks notice to start class)

I interviewed once before where people were interviewed on friday and expected to start monday. After hearing this, I decided to leave before the reading test.

EDIT: THIS IS UNION PACIFIC
  by dbblac01

I apologize if the question was asked before, as I could not find it before I posted it. Anyway, after it switched back to interview I was called and offered the position the following day. I have had all my tests done and am just awaiting a call for the start date.
  by carson

My status currently went to hold over the weekend, should I have gotten an e-mail with this, what is the typical wait time?
  by Bushgator

I am on a final screen for the same 2 postions freight conductor and a track worker
they are in Tampa and in Wildwood fl , my 2 choices what does that mean?

is track worker a set hourly job?

someone that works as a freight cionductor said that the track workers or maintenance of away have 4 - 10 hour days durring the week? is this correct

can someone on here give me an idea what you go through once your hired being a conductor are you mostly called out durring the night? can I expect to be gone a few days at a time ?
and for a track worker ? what is involved if sopmeone can chime in with information I would really appreciate it as I can not trust this person that gave me this information that is employed with csx
  by Gorail

I took the Reading Comp. Test in August and afterwards there suppose to do a background check, then they say in about 2 weeks that you would hear from them about taking a physcial. I haven't heard from them since? I was reading in another blog that they may put you in a pool, but as I said I haven't heard a word from them if I was in a pool or not? Does anyone have any suggestions with what is probably going on? How do you contact there H.R. dept? I've tried to email the conductors training and a feild agent still no word. Anyone that can tell me what is going on or may have been in the same situation let me know?
thanks.
  by COEN77

Bushgator wrote:
can someone on here give me an idea what you go through once your hired being a conductor are you mostly called out durring the night? can I expect to be gone a few days at a time ?
It depends on what you work. If you work a road extra board/freight pool most likely you'll be on call 24/7. Off days on the road vary in different locations some might have one day off a week, others two days off every two weeks there are other variations. If you work the yard you could have a regular 5 day assignment, if it's the yard extra board possibly one day off a week. If you're already thinking of off days forget about it this is not a normal job. Even if you have rest days it doesn't mean you'll be off you could get called out one minute before your rest day begins and you must go unless you can get a crew caller to drop the calling time back. That usually doesn't happen. Not trying to discourage you, but this is the reality of it.

As for the track force they usually work mon-thur and it's a 10-12+ hr day. That's not gaureteed there might be emergency work at night or weekends you might have to be on call.
  by charlie6017

This belongs in the EMPLOYMENT forum............thanks!
  by Bushgator

I dont have aproblem with overtime nor the extra time , Time = $ My wife already works in tampa and we have 2 kids that I pretty much get off to school and pick up from the bus and I run my own business untill I get hired on.
As of today, I am still in the final screen I am deciding as for set hours might be a little easier for us. everyone got to do what works for them , but I will work whatever overtime they want to give thats great
Any suggestions on a yard jobs? or is those low paying? I willhave to make 40-45 k or it will not be worth it to me to give up my own business and it seems that track worker and conductor starts at that range give or take a few grand that is.

I also wanted to know what all is the strenght test do they still have you hang from a bar for 4 minutes ?
  by videobruce

Why would anyone want to work here?? :P
  by csxt43

i did check the csx website and i know that they aren't hiring for these locations at this point. but i was wondering if there is a lot of work in these areas or are they furloughed a good bit ? i noticed they posted these positions a month or so ago and it seems like they only hire here every once in a while. i know furloughs are a potential, but i just wanted to know because i was considering applying the next time they post these locations.. anybody have a clue?
thanks in advance.
  by CSX Conductor

videobruce wrote:Why would anyone want to work here?? :P
LMAO :P Because they haven't gotten a taste of the southern natzis yet. I'm not gonna miss them.
  by csxt43

so far no good. ok, how about the pittsburgh area in general?