• CSX Hiring Process

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by jmox

wondering wrote:I've been searching for the answer to my question for a while now and hope I get some responses, as I haven't been able to find an answer. I've applied for Conductor; mid Sept and was interviewed. The interview went well and the interviewer advised me that I am moving to the next phase. I am very excited about this opportunity and really need the job and have been waiting for the next phase to begin. I have been checking my status often and I am still at interview even though it has been about a month and the interviewer said to expect to hear something in 2 /4 weeks. There is now another listing for 10 positions hat ends today. I was debating about applying for the 10 but decided not to, thinking that I just need to patient, but the wait is tough. Hope that is the right decision. What is the norm wait time from interview to the strength and drug test? My background etc is good; I would think no surprises. Any thoughts about why would they interview for 20 and then interview for 10 more? Could this be what is holding the process, or does it typically take longer? Thanks!
Wondering,

The whole process took about three months from the day I applied to the day I get to the REDI center. I applied back on 7/10, interviewed 8/12, 9/8 was called and told I had a contingent offer, 9/15 physical/drug testing, 9/18 strength testing, 9/29 was called to let me know I passed everything, 10/12 leaving for training till 11/22. At first my status was -050 ROUTE Until about a week before the Interview, then it went to -060 INTERVIEW . Then, my status didnt change til I got the 1st call, then it went -080 READY TO HIRE, then from there it just changed to -090 HIRED!! I hope this helps on what kind of wait time is involved.
  by Whale

jmox wrote: The whole process took about three months from the day I applied to the day I get to the REDI center. I applied back on 7/10, interviewed 8/12, 9/8 was called and told I had a contingent offer, 9/15 physical/drug testing, 9/18 strength testing, 9/29 was called to let me know I passed everything, 10/12 leaving for training till 11/22. At first my status was -050 ROUTE Until about a week before the Interview, then it went to -060 INTERVIEW . Then, my status didnt change til I got the 1st call, then it went -080 READY TO HIRE, then from there it just changed to -090 HIRED!! I hope this helps on what kind of wait time is involved.
That is awesome. Got a call today offering me the job. Gave info for background check on the same call. Scheduled for Strength test Friday and need to call Wed for physical and drug test. Status is at -080 right now. I am hoping everything goes as quick for me as it did for you!

Whale
  by jennyfer9876

I APPLIED FOR A YARD CLERK POSITION IN OH. I WAS PLACED IN THE HIRING POOL. IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THERE IS A LIST WITH THE PEOPLE IN THE HIRING POOL IN A PARTICULAR ORDER. I HAVE CALLED HR IN JACKSONVILLE AND CANT EVER GET A LIVE PERSON, ONLY VOICEMAIL. ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO HOW TO FIND OUT WHERE I AM ON THE LIST?
  by wondering

Thanks for the replies. I am still waiting. Do you know if there is a number to call HR; they haven 't answered my email. Does HR always call to schedule the drug and strength test or do they sometimes email? Also at the interview do they give everyone the pamphlet saying you have completed the first step or just some people? Anyone know?

Whale - Where are you hiring out of and when did you interview? Which position, conductor?

Thanks guys!
  by jason27swg

Hello,
This is my first post/ visit to this website.... I have applied for three positions with CSX all three are conductor positons 1)Thomasville Georgia 2)Nashville Tennessee 3)Wilmington North Carolina. Im sure mine started out the same as everyone else - 020, one week later mine showed up as 040 and now one is at 050 route. My question is for someone who knows more about this than myself, how long normally does this sit at 050?
I know the economy sucks right now so any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks!!
Jason
  by Whale

Done with Physical and Str. test. Now it's a waiting game. :(

The tough part is I have 2 other job offers on the table and they want an answer. Worst case, they go ahead and fill the positions with someone else while I am waiting on CSX and then I don't get the CSX job.

I think I did okay on the Strength test and Physical. Has anyone heard of anyone getting denied due to background check? Know any reason background would be an issue? I asked HR and they said they would check for felonies and a valid drivers license. I have no felonies and my drivers license is valid.

Thx...
  by jwinston

This is a great site , thank you guys for the help and info.. This is my question or questions, i applied for csx as a conductor in richmond va . It took 2 days for them to call me back and now i have testing and interview. How stable is the conductor jobs now, i have friends that have been layed off and furloughed but some that havent ?????? And what is the pay like i, ive been at my job for 3 yrs now and make 40k to 45k a yr . Is it more or less?????????

GUYS GIVE ME SOMETHING I BEEN DEBATING ON CONDUCTOR JOB OR STAY WHERE I AM ALL WEEK BUT DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THE ECOMONY LIKE IT IS RIGHT NOW.
  by jct61765

Just wondering what state you live in?
  by COEN77

jwinston wrote:This is a great site , thank you guys for the help and info.. This is my question or questions, i applied for csx as a conductor in richmond va . It took 2 days for them to call me back and now i have testing and interview. How stable is the conductor jobs now, i have friends that have been layed off and furloughed but some that havent ?????? And what is the pay like i, ive been at my job for 3 yrs now and make 40k to 45k a yr . Is it more or less?????????

GUYS GIVE ME SOMETHING I BEEN DEBATING ON CONDUCTOR JOB OR STAY WHERE I AM ALL WEEK BUT DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THE ECOMONY LIKE IT IS RIGHT NOW.
Right now it might be hit or miss in Richmond. We had a C&O trainee a few days ago that was spouting those in her class might be furloughed upon getting marked up next month I told her don't sweat the small stuff. CSX in Richmond is comprised of 3 railroads the SCL, C&O, and B&O eastern. Rumor has it that yard remote jobs in Richmond might go to a one man operation on Oct 26 which will cut yard jobs in half that will effect the C&O side seeing all new hires working the yard are hired on the C&O. But, the C&O has a lot of temporary transfers both conductor & engineers from other locations working the road that their slots will need to be filled once their obligation has expired which will be shortly. Which means they need to hire conductors so they can ship people off to engine service so not to create a shortage.

There's not an easy explanation to your question. Pay: you'll be on salary for at least the first 4 months then depending on business you can make whatever you set your goals at. The C&O side we haul 90% coal so business is real good the SCL & B&O eastern depend more on commercial freight which at this time is way down. Retirements will be kicking in over the next 6 years that's a good thing. If your making $40-45K a year and feel comfortable and secure stay where your at in this economy everything is risky.
  by mmcckc

Can anyone tell me what goes on during the background process... Don't get me wrong- I have NO CRIMINAL background!!! I just had a nasty divorce and am still getting some of her bills paid. Just curious to know how that factors in here? Thanks!
  by railman757

Does anyone know what "final screen" means under statuc codes on the CSX website?
  by sschlangen

I applied for freight conductor in Indianapolis and I am 050 right now. Does anyone know when they are going to bring those 30 immediate positions. I am suspecting after thanksgiving.
  by KV1guy

Next step above you applying...simply just means they are now looking over your application to see if you got what they need.
  by csxconductor someday

I have and am applied to csx conductor in corbin. I have applied to that position 4 times with
many results. 1st time went from applied to route to interview, got an interview date and then
a mail saying the interview was cancelled 2 days before it was to be done. 2nd time went to
final screen to route to not selected. 3rd time went straight from applied to not selected.
This time went from applied to route and that is where it stands as of now. This last time
it went to route the day after it came off the job board. That is the total of my local application
experience on conductor. I do want the job and know what I am in for. Not only that, I need the job.
I can pass all the tests, UNLESS? , they would turn a fellow down based on credit score. I hope not
and that is my question to anyone that knows? My credit has went down due to lack of a good job.
Not because I am a deadbeat. I was once a co-owner of a small business and sold to my partner
to get away from small business and get a regular job. I may have made a mistake there but, I
don't think so and still believe I will get the call from CSX. So, does anybody have any info on
whether they would turn me away based on credit score or such? Thanks