Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by thebigc

njt4172 wrote: BigC,

Hate to go off topic, but didn't the horns on the 4112 come off a NS ex Southern high nose geep??

If there is only 1 Comet IB set in Raritan then there must be several other 3 car sets on Hoboken division trains...

Steve
I really don't know how a SR unit would have donated a horn to us but you never know. And I've heard a SR GP-50 horn and it was close to but not quite the same sound as our 4112.

I'm sticking to my E-60 theory for now :wink:

And like I posted earlier, we usually have two three car outfits of Camaros every night here in Port Morris yard. Also last Tuesday, I believe, we had the 4100, 4102, 4108, 4110, and 4112. All exCNJers.

And yes, I was all over the roof of the 4112 like a swarm of bees looking for clues!!

by nick11a

thebigc wrote:And yes, I was all over the roof of the 4112 like a swarm of bees looking for clues!!
And you get bonus points for that! :-D But seriously, thanks for going and investigating where no railfan has gone before... or at least should. I heard the horn once on 4112.... but not well enough to remember how it sounds.

by F40

Bonus points for the main line question..

by thebigc

nick11a wrote:
thebigc wrote:And yes, I was all over the roof of the 4112 like a swarm of bees looking for clues!!
And you get bonus points for that! :-D But seriously, thanks for going and investigating where no railfan has gone before... or at least should. I heard the horn once on 4112.... but not well enough to remember how it sounds.
Well Nick, with the demise of the E60 fleet, there's really not much to compare or liken it to.

Although the 4112 sounds close to some NS horns I've heard.

by njt4172

thebigc wrote:
nick11a wrote:
Well Nick, with the demise of the E60 fleet, there's really not much to compare or liken it to.

Although the 4112 sounds close to some NS horns I've heard.

I'm sticking with my theory that 4112's horn came off an NS engine that was in Kearny back in the Conrail days. I have a videotape of E60's and to me those horns sounded a bit different then the 4112.

Steve

by thebigc

In my experience , I can say that the 4112 sounds dead on like an E60. With all the crippled E60s lying around the MMC in the early nineties, it seems logical that one became a donor. Especially since they each had two horns. How a NS engine, back in the pre-split days, would donate a horn to a NJT engine is beyond me. I've heard Southern Ry. horns on GP50s and they're close to the 4112, but the E60 is dead nuts.

And it definitely isn't the original CNJ horn.

But I'll keep digging.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Does anyone know when the Comet 1Bs will be retired? When I come back home to Jersey over thanksgiving, I plan to railfan along transit and I will be on the lookout for them. Oh, I am new to posting messages on this site. I've ridden the entire transit system. If I should point out, I know this is a NJT forum and it is good that we are keeping on transit. However, this forum is about the 1Bs, not about sounds and horns of engines. lets try to keep the discussion to the 1Bs, Thanks
  by nick11a

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:Does anyone know when the Comet 1Bs will be retired? When I come back home to Jersey over thanksgiving, I plan to railfan along transit and I will be on the lookout for them. Oh, I am new to posting messages on this site. I've ridden the entire transit system. If I should point out, I know this is a NJT forum and it is good that we are keeping on transit. However, this forum is about the 1Bs, not about sounds and horns of engines. lets try to keep the discussion to the 1Bs, Thanks
Generally, we do stick to topics but do have side tracks sometimes in here. Whether or not it is right or wrong I cannot say but it certainly makes things fun and personable and very distinct from the other forums.
  by thebigc

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: However, this forum is about the 1Bs, not about sounds and horns of engines. lets try to keep the discussion to the 1Bs, Thanks
Wow.

Did you join RR.net today just to keep us on topic???

Our moderator already holds that position.

Back on topic, ahem, the Camaros won't be going anywhere until the Comet V fiasco is ever resolved. Knowing ALMOST like I do, this could be another year. Possibly longer.
  by ryanov

thebigc wrote:
njt/mnrrbuff wrote: However, this forum is about the 1Bs, not about sounds and horns of engines. lets try to keep the discussion to the 1Bs, Thanks
Wow.

Did you join RR.net today just to keep us on topic???
<snicker> :wink:
  by njtmnrrbuff

Sorry if I ran a "stop signal." I did not think too hard. This will be the last time it happens.

by thebigc

No problem. Most of the threads in this forum tend to wander a bit but as long as it's NJT oriented, our trusty moderator lets us stray a little. :-D

by nick11a

Places the Comet IBs could be:

On the NJCL Bay Head Shuttle train.
On the NJCL Bay Head to Hoboken Trains.
On the RVL.
On the M/E, Montclair/Boonton, Main/Bergen or Pascack or Port Jervis.

by 7 Train

On the RVL.
On the M/E, Montclair/Boonton, Main/Bergen or Pascack or Port Jervis
That could be anywhere other than the NEC, Gladstone ot Atlantic City lines!

by nick11a

7 Train wrote:
On the RVL.
On the M/E, Montclair/Boonton, Main/Bergen or Pascack or Port Jervis
That could be anywhere other than the NEC, Gladstone ot Atlantic City lines!
Yeah, when you put it that way.... haha.

And although unlikely, you can find IBs on the Gladstone. Sometimes diesel sets are sent down to Gladstone either by fluke or by a problem or if the line is shut down for some reason. For instance, I saw a 3 car Comet IB set with an F40 on the Gladstone back in August when they had overhead problems in the Gillette/Stirling area.