Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by F40

Speaking of using diesel as a replacement, couldn't NJT send a diesel or two down the NEC back in February 02 when we had the CONRAIL snarl? Of course, it would start from NWK, or passengers at NY could be directed to the PATH to HOB.

Do the signals run on the same power source as the catenary itself?
  by njtmnrrbuff

This past summer, I noticed that everytime I saw the 3:30 out of Hob, that set seemed to always run with three of them. In fact, I photographed it going by N. Fullerton Ave grade crossing toward the end of August. The shot came out a tad iffy because my hand shaked using the macro lense. I will always keep my eye out for them. Actually tommorow, I will be going to Woodbury Commons as part of a college trip. Maybe, I'll see them go by there. I will have my camera.

by F40

Which line might that be?

by nick11a

F40 wrote:Which line might that be?
NJCL I think.

by ryanov

Who says they can't be on the ACL? I rode about a year ago and it was all old equipment. No reason it couldn't happen again.

by nick11a

ryanov wrote:Who says they can't be on the ACL? I rode about a year ago and it was all old equipment. No reason it couldn't happen again.
That is true. But for right now, they're not there. Just mostly Comet IIIs and a few IVs. By Thanksgiving, they might indeed put a set down there.

by F40

Regarding Thanksgiving, will NJT run any Holiday Special trains out of NY? I hear these are not on the schedule, but if the crew gets the info. beforehand, could someone post it? Thanks.

I know they run at least one at Christmas.

by nick11a

F40 wrote:Regarding Thanksgiving, will NJT run any Holiday Special trains out of NY? I hear these are not on the schedule, but if the crew gets the info. beforehand, could someone post it? Thanks.

I know they run at least one at Christmas.
Yes, they do. They would likely announce it a few weeks before. Also, Amtrak too will probably be running holiday extras with Transit (Arrows), MARC (coaches) and I think maybe even SEPTA equipment (did I miss any?)

by F40

But doesn't Amtrak alreay use a couple of MARC coaches in regular service? They are rare, and are usu. found trailing a string of Amfleets. Amtrak also has vintage coaches as well. Which trains can these be found? (for the sake of being on-topic, let's limit to one posting)
  by njtmnrrbuff

Woodbury Commons is right along the Port Jervis Line a few miles north of Harriman. Anyway, I did not see any 1Bs but I caught two trainsets on camera both with transit F40s and Comet 1s. There are limited photo angles at the Woodbury.

by Irish Chieftain

F40 wrote:But doesn't Amtrak alreay use a couple of MARC coaches in regular service?
Never in regular service; those are borrowed. Amtrak's been borrowing MARC stock for decades during times of peak demand; I remember seeing MARC cars in NYP back in the early 1980s. (Amtrak also has borrowed NJT stock during such periods...)

by ryanov

F40 wrote:But doesn't Amtrak alreay use a couple of MARC coaches in regular service? They are rare, and are usu. found trailing a string of Amfleets. Amtrak also has vintage coaches as well. Which trains can these be found? (for the sake of being on-topic, let's limit to one posting)
I think you are thinking of the Horizon fleet.

by F40

What's the Horizon fleet?

On an off-note, I spotted a couple of MARC coaches during the PM rush around LINCOLN outbound a few years ago. Any pics and anything special about them?

by nick11a

F40 wrote:What's the Horizon fleet?

On an off-note, I spotted a couple of MARC coaches during the PM rush around LINCOLN outbound a few years ago. Any pics and anything special about them?
Horizon is the Amtrak cars that look like Comets. There are signifigant differences in them though.

The only time you'll likely see MARC coaches in Amtrak service is during the holiday extra period.

by Irish Chieftain

Here's a pic of two Horizon cars, one in Phase III and one in Phase IV...look a little familiar? One could call it the Erie-Lackawanna making it onto Amtrak :P Note that the Phase III car has fold-up steps (like Amfleet) while the other has fixed steps like the unrebuilt Comet IIB/Metro-North Shoreliner I...but both cars have manual doors.