• Stone arch bridges

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by hh660

Hello. I don't know if this qualifies as the type of stone arch bridge that you are interested in, but it is indeed a very nice stone arch structure.
This cut stone structure is about 55 feet wide by 180 feet long. There is a road way crossing over the top of this structure and, I believe, there were four tracks going through the structure (180') dimension. I'm pretty sure it's still intact, although the tracks are isolated. It's located in Portland, Maine, on the waterfront, very close to where the Casco Bay Bridge Commercial Street access road connects with the bridge itself. Clark Street used to pass over this structure until the new bridge was built and the street configurations were modified. It is visible on google earth: the coordnates are:W70d-15'-42.12" by N43d-38'-48.12" for the westerly entrance.
Spent a good portion of my youth playing around and in the tunnel and being chased by the rr police!

s
  by wolfmom69

Good memories, HH660! In fact the arch bridge you speak of was known as "The Clark Street arch", in the older Portland Terminal Co. Employee Timetables. It served as the "dividing line, between Yards 4 and 5. Yard 4 was anything east of the arch, and last served a lumber yard, where its tracks ended adjacent to Maple St. It could also be reached by a couple of tracks from Commercial St itself. Think the lumber yard was one of the last customers to be served before "street running" ended on Commercial St, circa 1985.

Yard 5, was west of the arch, had quite a few team tarcks, and served as the "base" in 1976, for "America's Freedom Train"
visit for a day or so. :-D

Both of these yards had been B&M yards, before the 1911 creation of Portland Terminal Co., along with the mEC, to handle switching in the Greater Portland area.

Sadly, before the building of the new Casco Bay Bridge, the arches had become a real haven for the homeless. :(

Bud
  by BrianS

Dont forget about the nice one on the old B&M (NECR now) Conn River line in Brattleboro. Its just 20 feet of so north of Bridge st, near the Amtrak station. Its hard to see from the road, but any other angle you can see it

Brian
NECR
  by Tracer

Not 100% sure if these bridges qualify so feel free to yell at me if they don't.

Trivia game: I know there is 3 stone arches in Norwood, Ma, do you know were they are?

Can anyone answer?

(and yes i know were they are)
  by oldrr

There is a stone arch in Epping on the former Fremont branch, formerly the WN&P, it is west of route 101. To get there you would park at the grade crossing at Phil Peterson's farm, the first crossing west of 101. Walk in, when the right of way becomes a very high embankment and you can see water below, you may be able to catch a glimpse of the arch. If you can make your way to lower ground, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's pretty good sized.
  by NHN503

oldrr wrote:There is a stone arch in Epping on the former Fremont branch, formerly the WN&P, it is west of route 101. To get there you would park at the grade crossing at Phil Peterson's farm, the first crossing west of 101. Walk in, when the right of way becomes a very high embankment and you can see water below, you may be able to catch a glimpse of the arch. If you can make your way to lower ground, it sticks out like a sore thumb. It's pretty good sized.
Hey now I didn't even know that, and I lived in Epping for 24 years. And I was always poking along the branches! I wished the mileposts were still on the Fremont and Portsmouth branches.
  by Xaque

This is the PanAm line through Deerfield MA. (Arch passes over Pinenook Rd.)

(And I must apologize that the photo subject is my bike... but I assure you there is rail up there!)

-Zack
  by Tracer

Norwood, Ma arches

-Theres a stone arch on the Franklin branch over Hawes brook(1/4 north of windsor gardens)
-(2) on the wrentham branch, one crossing over Dean st., the other crossing the Neponset river.
  by 3rdrail

In addition to the replacement for the "Bussey Bridge" alredy mentioned, there is one just 1/8 of a mile north at the end of Arboretum Road at the entrance to the Arnold Arboretum.
  by Cosmo

Triker wrote:Norwood, Ma arches

-Theres a stone arch on the Franklin branch over Hawes brook(1/4 north of windsor gardens)
-(2) on the wrentham branch, one crossing over Dean st., the other crossing the Neponset river.
Don't forget the one right downtown Norwood! I belive that's Neponset St, but I could be wrong. I know it turns into Canton St when it crosses Rt 1.

Oh,... and technically the CANTON VIADUCT is an arch as well... well, SEVERAL arches. :wink:
(Was it mentioned earlier?)
  by 3rdrail

There's two right on West Street, heading westerly from rte. 1A in Walpole. You hit one right after the other.
  by Cosmo

3rdrail wrote:There's two right on West Street, heading westerly from rte. 1A in Walpole. You hit one right after the other.
:O Where?
**reaches for map!**
  by rjgrubin

Pat Fahey wrote:On the old B&A line too milford,mass,, in Holliston,,there are [2] one the

smallest is on arch st,,and the bigger one is on woodland st..not far

from the Holliston station...Pat
Here is a hyperlink to some photos of the branch line.
http://www.townofholliston.us/holliston ... ground.htm
Bobby G.
  by rjgrubin

rjgrubin wrote:
Pat Fahey wrote:On the old B&A line too milford,mass,, in Holliston,,there are [2] one the

smallest is on arch st,,and the bigger one is on woodland st..not far

from the Holliston station...Pat
Here is a hyperlink to some photos of the branch line.
http://www.townofholliston.us/holliston ... ground.htm
Bobby G.
http://rjgrubin.rrpicturearchives.net/a ... px?id=8797
http://rjgrubin.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... ?id=255843
http://rjgrubin.rrpicturearchives.net/s ... ?id=255842